Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I hope there isn't already a thread on this, as I'm just signing in briefly at the moment to post. Of those out there that have the turbo on their Koups, have you compared/raced an Optima with the turbo? If you have, how did it compare? I would prefer an actual side by side comparison as just someone that has happened to have driven both separately. I test drove an Optima SX the other day, and I actually have to say that it was nice. I know it's a big/long car and all it is, is a 2.0L turbo, but it still moves, and there didn't seem to be any lag and the gear shifts were pretty smooth. I liked it very much. I obviously haven't driven a Koup turbo, so any information/comparison would be great. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Of those out there that have the turbo on their Koups, have you compared/raced an Optima with the turbo? If you have, how did it compare?
I don't think you're gonna get a big sample group to that question.:D:cool::p

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yea man I think crock and the TK test car are the only ones that have the turbo. The others r waiting to get theirs, including hopefully me :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
The optima only has 192HP amyways. Right?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yea I think it's 276 bhp so that's not gunna come close to the 300 whp of the koup :) can't wait to see people with turbos and vids of them tearing apart Si's lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
is there a turbo kit for the 2011 koup sx yet...??????? cause in 2 years ill have mine paid off n be thinking turbo lol

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Turbo Kits has one for the 2.4L 2010 Koup so I would assume it would fit the 2011. Plus by the time you're ready in 2 years they'll def be something available probably for all trims and models. (even tho I think turbo'ing a sedan LX is a little silly lol)

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Alright here are some cold hard facts. Dollars are USD.

2011 Kia Forte Koup SX [Man.]
*2.4L [173 HP]
*2844 lbs
*$18,395

2011 Kia Optima SX [Auto.]
*2.0L [274 HP]
*3385 lbs
*$25,995

2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R Spec [Man.]
*2.0L [210 HP]
*3315 lbs
*$24,500

2011 Hyundai Sonata TGDI [Auto.]
*2.0L [274 HP]
*3338 lbs
*$24,345

Overall, the Forte Koup would be the best valued car if you put a turbo in it and then compared the cost of it to the other cars from Hyundai/Kia.

MPG-wise, it would be in last place though.

In the end I'm a fan of all the cars and I wouldn't mind owning one of the other :)

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Alright here are some cold hard facts. Dollars are USD.

2011 Kia Forte Koup SX [Man.]
*2.4L [173 HP]
*2844 lbs
*$18,395

2011 Kia Optima SX [Auto.]
*2.0L [274 HP]
*3385 lbs
*$25,995

2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R Spec [Man.]
*2.0L [210 HP]
*3315 lbs
*$24,500

2011 Hyundai Sonata TGDI [Auto.]
*2.0L [274 HP]
*3338 lbs
*$24,345

Overall, the Forte Koup would be the best valued car if you put a turbo in it and then compared the cost of it to the other cars from Hyundai/Kia.

MPG-wise, it would be in last place though.

In the end I'm a fan of all the cars and I wouldn't mind owning one of the other :)
Don't forget that the turbo cars you compared come with a warranty, whereas the moment you turbo your Forte your warranty is void. Also, Turbo Forte's have little to show in terms of reliability data. The Genesis Coupe has been around for a couple of years now running reliably.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The gen coupe 2.0t is a modest 210 stock I have seen where they actually are around 225 bhp but also the tk kit is 300 at the crank not wheels but still a 120 jump in HP is impressive the theta engine group has a vast amount of power gains to be had

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I will be @ the dyno in june by then I will have my clutch flywheel on and tuning for 10psi im currently at 8psi I feel the diffrence from 6psi to 8psi seem like a huge gain

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the posts. I'm guessing the turbo they put into next year's Koup won't be up near 300, but for those of us that like our warranty, I guess it's better than nothing. Would definitely like to have the power of the TK kit in our little Koups though. As far as the difference between the Koup and Optima and what everyone keeps stating, until there is a side by side comparison (race ;) ), everything else is just numbers and speculations. Just because it's a bit bigger doesn't mean it won't give it a run for its money. And the TK kit is 300 on the 2.4L engine and with some other mods. Mods can be made to the Optima 2.0L as well to get more power out of it. I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss it. ;) Crock, it'll be great to get some numbers from your Dyno run. Keep us posted man.

·
Registered
312 Posts
can't wait to see people with turbos and vids of them tearing apart Si's lol
Yeah, cause a boosted Forte -vs- a n/a Si seems real fair. Though I wouldn't mind seeing boosted forte's makin' boosted si' owners sweat a bit ;)

If they was a safc or some tuning device out there for the Forte, I wouldn't be suprised if the Forte would blow the doors off the Sonata, Genesis, or the Optima and STILL be reliable for DD.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
^ I never said anything about being fair. Just the fact the civic owners are so quick to make fun of kia's (as we are about civics lol) and u get to the line and they think it's an easy win, then you rev and hear the BOV and they're shitting their pants.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was moar or less poking fun lol, wasn't trying to come off as a d**che

How about re-circ the BOV so Civic owners don't hear anything until your about a car length ahead and the external wastegate is all they hear. That would get there attention better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.