Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that are curious, the Forte Koup performs EXCELLENT in snow and ice. I live in Hagerstown, MD on the mountain and we just got 6 inches of snow today. I had to go pick the fiance up from work and was extremely worried about taking my brand new Koup out in the powder. Turns out, my worries were unfounded. I never slipped around at all. I had one hiccup when taking off from a light, but the traction control kicked in and put that to an end. After dropping her off at home, I drove back up the mountain after everything had frozen over and didn't have any problems either. I am very impressed with how well it performed for only being a two wheel drive vehicle.

Now I did grow up driving in snow, so I can handle myself pretty well in slick conditions, so that played a factor; however the combination of the stock tires and traction control makes for a very good combination. I can also only attest to what I'm driving (Koup SX, 6spd), but I'm assuming since most of the characteristics are the same, all trim levels would fare just as well. So get out there in the snow and have some fun!

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
ha,ha,ha... I thought you were going to say it was sliding all over the place, that you couldn't stop in the the snow! lol!

But yes, I too can attest to the Forte's performance on slippery roads.

Isn't she pretty?!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,869 Posts
I'm glad you guys like the snow...you can have all of it...LoL!

I've seen 30 ton tracked tanks that couldn't drive on snow/ice, so I'd rather not be out driving on it in a car...LoL!

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Did you have to change tires or did you use stock tires?
Yes, I changed to winter tires, I always do since I drive around the Okanagan with my work, I've had the car a month and have already passed 3000km.

Unless you're in Victoria, BC (or like some of our friends here in the Sunshine States) where you might need them once or twice (stay off the roads those days) I would recommend (and ICBC too) getting snow tires. The problem with all season is they are useless when the temperature drops. At temperature below 7 deg. Celsius, the rubber compounds start get hard and they start loosing grip, below freezing, they have no grip what-so-ever, kinda like a frozen puck.

The best deal I found was at Walmart, 215/50 R17 Nexan Winterguard cost me $560 Can. installed. I went ahead and put them on my stock 17" rims since I'm planning to get some chrome rims in the spring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
good to hear. We're scheduled for about over 20 cm's of snow over the next couple of days. I'll put some pics on of my koup through the drifts if possible. Going from a jeep back to a coup is going to be fun.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you have to change tires or did you use stock tires?
I'm still running stock tires, but I'm sure it'd do even better with winter tires. I've been having a blast cruising through the snow. :D

·
Administrator
1,198 Posts
Good news. We haven't had any of the white stuff here in Toronto yet really. Today was the first little dusting.

Nadeem

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Good news. We haven't had any of the white stuff here in Toronto yet really. Today was the first little dusting.

Nadeem
I saw on the news tonight that your forcast for tommorrow is like 3 deg. C while we out here in the sunny Okanagan will be basking in -11 degree fun. Since when did we switch weather patterns with you!? lol!

·
Administrator
1,198 Posts
Don't worry we spoke too soon. There is a severe weather watch out for today. Perhaps I will get to test out the snow soon after all!

Nadeem

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well today i had my chance to get in the white powder!

My thoughts are the car felt very stable and strong! My traction control only came on once when i decided to give it a lil to see what happens.

All and all i love it! and the wiper deicer is fantastic with the heated seats

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have to agree with BLKSX, the wiper deicer and heated seats is a GREAT combo! Got the opportunity to try it out in the snow this week. Not too bad at all. Traction control works well and the car was better than I thought considering the 17" wheels/tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
took it out in the storm and afterwards. Felt pretty good, awesome with the emerg brake on!! was surprised at the height of snow i could get through. I agree with the wiper deicer-- works well. as for the heated seats.... i had to turn them off after a few minutes... too warm. sucks with only one heat level.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
took it out in the storm and afterwards. Felt pretty good, awesome with the emerg brake on!! was surprised at the height of snow i could get through. I agree with the wiper deicer-- works well. as for the heated seats.... i had to turn them off after a few minutes... too warm. sucks with only one heat level.
Try leaving them an a little longer, they seem to cycle down to a more reasonable temperature after a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not picking mine up until March, it's going to be a summer car but your stories are making me think that I'll have to take it out in the snow, just for fun. I have an old 4x4 Chev Tracker that I'm going to drive in the winter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In regards to snow tires, i'm currently pricing 4 tires and 4 winter rims.... no I was told for my Koup SX that the smallest rim to go with is a 16", however my stock rims are 17" (not exactly sure of the exact tire size on it right now)

Anyways I was also told by a friend that if my stock rims are 17 then I should have the same for the winter as the car is tuned around a 17" rim.... is this correct?

Also what size of winter tire would I be looking at for a 17" rim?

The quotes ive been given have all been between $850.00 (installed)- $1000.00 for all 4 tires and rims (quote based on 16" rims)

Also going from a 16 to 17" rim what would be the price difference?

Thanks guys....
Ugh can't even believe we are heading straight towards another Canadian winter....blaaaaaa!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
In regards to snow tires, i'm currently pricing 4 tires and 4 winter rims.... no I was told for my Koup SX that the smallest rim to go with is a 16", however my stock rims are 17" (not exactly sure of the exact tire size on it right now)

Anyways I was also told by a friend that if my stock rims are 17 then I should have the same for the winter as the car is tuned around a 17" rim.... is this correct?

Also what size of winter tire would I be looking at for a 17" rim?

The quotes ive been given have all been between $850.00 (installed)- $1000.00 for all 4 tires and rims (quote based on 16" rims)

Also going from a 16 to 17" rim what would be the price difference?

Thanks guys....
Ugh can't even believe we are heading straight towards another Canadian winter....blaaaaaa!
Put your winter rubber on 16" steelies, that way you'll save some $$ and have a smooter ride for the winter.
Look for a tire size calculator and get the closest from OEM diameter you can.
Car aren't "tune" for a tire size, it's just a matter of speedo accuracy.
Feel your pain about the coming winter..........:mad:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts