Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 kia forte Koup. When i first got it in the spring it wouldn't crank in the morning on the very cold days but the weather changed fast so i haven't had any problems for months, now its all and very cold in the morning it wont start . last week it was in the 70s so i had no problem with it starting but the past weekend its been in the 50s or colder it wont start til later in the day when the sun shines . i have no check engine light nor problems wit the battery starter or alternator..... any answers ???

·
Registered
951 Posts
when i try to a get a jump off it still wont crank and i tested the battery at oreillys . ....
Although it would seem to not be the battery, I'd always want to make certain of that before moving on to anything else. Do you have a multimeter? If not, I'd urge you to buy one - inexpensive and indispensable. With a multimeter, you can do the simple voltage testing, before and during the cranking, which will confirm the battery one way or the other.

If the battery checks out ok on the multimeter, post back in order to do more testing to isolate the problem. But I'd never do anything else until seeing good voltage at the battery with my own eyes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although it would seem to not be the battery, I'd always want to make certain of that before moving on to anything else. Do you have a multimeter? If not, I'd urge you to buy one - inexpensive and indispensable. With a multimeter, you can do the simple voltage testing, before and during the cranking, which will confirm the battery one way or the other.

If the battery checks out ok on the multimeter, post back in order to do more testing to isolate the problem. But I'd never do anything else until seeing good voltage at the battery with my own eyes.
ok if its the battery is it normal for this to just happen when its cold ?

·
Registered
951 Posts
ok if its the battery is it normal for this to just happen when its cold ?
Batteries are more efficient and function better in warm weather, so yes it's likely that problems will show up in colder weather first. Commercial testers don't find every battery issue, so they can't be relied on 100%. I'm not saying that your battery is the current problem, only that it needs to be proven good for certain, before moving on to anything else.

Over the years, I've seen so many people wasting incredible amounts of time chasing their tail on starting issues, when a bad battery was the problem right from the get go. And all of that could have been avoided with a simple voltage test. If you see 12.4-12.5 volts on the meter before trying to start, and it doesn't drop below 10V when you turn the key to start, then the battery would be confirmed good. And then you move on to further diagnosis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Batteries are more efficient and function better in warm weather, so yes it's likely that problems will show up in colder weather first. Commercial testers don't find every battery issue, so they can't be relied on 100%. I'm not saying that your battery is the current problem, only that it needs to be proven good for certain, before moving on to anything else.

Over the years, I've seen so many people wasting incredible amounts of time chasing their tail on starting issues, when a bad battery was the problem right from the get go. And all of that could have been avoided with a simple voltage test. If you see 12.4-12.5 volts on the meter before trying to start, and it doesn't drop below 10V when you turn the key to start, then the battery would be confirmed good. And then you move on to further diagnosis.
okay im checking today when it start up around 1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts