Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From KMBC 9 News, Kansas City, July 28:

An Independence, Missouri attorney has filed a federal class action lawsuit against Kia and Hyundai in Missouri and Kansas.

The suits filed on behalf of residents in both states claim the automakers intentionally didn’t install an anti-theft device in many of their late model vehicles to save money.

“We frankly were surprised, a modern manufacturer, particularly one that sells so many cars, would so utterly fail to include the common safety devices that are found on other models,” Ken McClain, the attorney who filed the suits, said.

Specifically, the suits claim Kia and Hyundai didn’t install immobilizers in their vehicles, Kia in 2011-2021 models and Hyundai in 2015-2021 models.

Immobilizers read a computer chip in either a key or fob to allow the engine to start.
“Because of this lack of an immobilizer problem exists on both Kia’s and Hyundai’s, they’ve become the targets of criminals because they’re easy to steal,” McClain said.

The suit claims many of those vehicles provide thieves with part of the equipment they can use to steal them, a USB cord.

“Considering how many people charge their cell phones in their cars, the necessary instrument needed to steal a Defective Vehicle is usually readily available to any thief,” the suits claim.

“It’s essentially modern-day hot wiring,” McClain said.

While none of the plaintiffs in the suits, so far, have had their vehicles stolen, McClain cites a rash of Kia and Hyundai thefts throughout the country, including in St. Louis.

He says all owners of the vehicle models in question could be affected.

“This will have an impact on the re-sale of these cars and also the insurance rates for these cars,” McClain said.

Both Kia and Hyundai issued statements admitting there’s a theft problem with their vehicles.

Both statements also say 2022 models are equipped with immobilizers.

“Kia America is aware of the rise in vehicle thefts of a subset of trim levels in your area. All 2022 models and trims have an immobilizer applied either at the beginning of the year or as a running change. All Kia vehicles for sale in the U.S. meet or exceed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards,” the Kia statement said.

“Hyundai Motor America is concerned with the rise in local auto thefts. The safety and well-being of our customers and the community is and will remain our top priority. These vehicles meet or exceed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and engine immobilizers are standard equipment on all new Hyundai vehicles,” the Hyundai statement said.

The suits call on Kia and Hyundai to either fix or replace the models without the immobilizers.

“Car manufacturers are reluctant to do recalls because of the cost and avoid them generally until they’re mandated by governments. These problems are fixable and should be fixed,” McClain said.

In addition to the statements, Kia and Hyundai provided toll-free phone lines for customers to ask questions or express concerns.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,796 Posts
If it isn't a federal requirement for them to install immobilizers, I don't see how the lawsuit would make it. It is not the fault of a manufacturer that lawlessness is common in third world countries...like the U.S is becoming.

The criminals are breaking windows - or the owners aren't locking their cars.- it's not like Kia made the car to be stolen.

·
Registered
374 Posts
How about punishing criminals? How about punishing shit parents for raising shit offspring?
It takes less than 30 seconds to steal a 69 gmc pickup, you know why GMC was never sued for this? Because society knew where to point blame. Because society raised halfway decent human beings back then. Because little Joey or little Reggie didn’t want their parents to beat their ass till it was bleeding. This is all getting stupid.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I owned a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Hyundai was hit by a big class action suit regarding Theta II engine failures.

The settlement netted the suing lawyers millions, but did result in affected Sonata owners getting a free lifetime engine replacement warranty if their cars experienced a specific kind of failure. My local dealership has dozens of Sonatas in the lot waiting for the next replacement engine shipment to come in.

Unfortunately, our legal system isn't fair and anyone can sue anyone else for anything at any time. In Europe, if you sue and lose you have to pay for the attorney fees for both sides. Whole lot fewer frivolous lawsuits there.

Given the anti corporation bias of America, Kia-Hyundai will almost certainly have to come to some agreement eventually if this case goes very far in the system. Given that the attorney's main case seems to be diminished trade-in value for Kia, manufacturer vouchers for new car purchases may be an eventual settlement (of course the attorneys get the cash). KIa may be forced to give owners some sort of anti-theft device like the Club. That will be years away, of course. The wheels of Justice...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about punishing criminals? How about punishing shit parents for raising shit offspring?
It takes less than 30 seconds to steal a 69 gmc pickup, you know why GMC was never sued for this? Because society knew where to point blame. Because society raised halfway decent human beings back then. Because little Joey or little Reggie didn’t want their parents to beat their ass till it was bleeding. This is all getting stupid.
Unfortunately, our governments would rather pander to criminals for votes than protect innocent people. Until the pols are thrown out of office nothing will change.

I'm not optimistic about this. Our utterly corrupt media will protect the ruling class no matter the consequences to the pubic.

Of course, there's also the Code of the West:
If the government is unable or unwilling to enforce the law the pursuit of justice falls to the individual.

Things may be getting worse.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I owned a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Hyundai was hit by a big class action suit regarding Theta II engine failures.

The settlement netted the suing lawyers millions, but did result in affected Sonata owners getting a free lifetime engine replacement warranty if their cars experienced a specific kind of failure. My local dealership has dozens of Sonatas in the lot waiting for the next replacement engine shipment to come in.

Unfortunately, our legal system isn't fair and anyone can sue anyone else for anything at any time. In Europe, if you sue and lose you have to pay for the attorney fees for both sides. Whole lot fewer frivolous lawsuits there.

Given the anti corporation bias of America, Kia-Hyundai will almost certainly have to come to some agreement eventually if this case goes very far in the system. Given that the attorney's main case seems to be diminished trade-in value for Kia, manufacturer vouchers for new car purchases may be an eventual settlement (of course the attorneys get the cash). KIa may be forced to give owners some sort of anti-theft device like the Club. That will be years away, of course. The wheels of Justice...
My wife and got caught up in the Nissan Pathfinder class action lawsuit for the 2003 pathfinders engine blowing up... the pathfinder had the issue with massive oil consumption before she even had it for a year. 1,000 miles =1quart of oil and destroyed emission components... nissan played games with us till the motor finally let go just a tad over the warranty.. we paid out of pocket for a new engine. Years later the class action lawsuit finalized but the way it was laid out it was near impossible to recover any loss.. plus most were secondary market by then and had depreciated 90% anyway... last nissan I will ever own.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
977 Posts
My wife and got caught up in the Nissan Pathfinder class action lawsuit for the 2003 pathfinders engine blowing up... the pathfinder had the issue with massive oil consumption before she even had it for a year. 1,000 miles =1quart of oil and destroyed emission components... nissan played games with us till the motor finally let go just a tad over the warranty.. we paid out of pocket for a new engine. Years later the class action lawsuit finalized but the way it was laid out it was near impossible to recover any loss.. plus most were secondary market by then and had depreciated 90% anyway... last nissan I will ever own.
I've never heard anyone having a good experience with any modern Nissan.

Reactions: Steve g

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've never heard anyone having a good experience with any modern Nissan.
I agree 100% .. I used to be a huge Nissan/Datsun fan but something went wrong on the late 90s.. the other thing about nissans is the product loyalty ... I remember nissan fanboys praising the performance of the 350z, “oh so fast”.... did anybody actually drive one? There is absolutely nothing exciting about that fat pig.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
💯💯💯💯👏👏👏👏. Kids can easy cry abuse & the cops, CPS (child protective services), CWS (child warfare services) & the DA will automatically believe minors when they cry abuse.

Now a days, new age parents use their credit cards, money & cashapp to bribe their entitled spoiled *ss kids to behave, stay out of trouble, be a productive part.

Not my mom, her child abuses were child discipline & anyone that tried to stop my mom, she'd show them what real abuse was. My mom & old school parents were actual threats.

·
Registered
374 Posts
💯💯💯💯👏👏👏👏. Kids can easy cry abuse & the cops, CPS (child protective services), CWC (child warfare services) & the DA will automatically believe minors when they cry abuse.

Now a days, new age parents use their credit cards, money & cashapp to bribe their entitled spoiled *ss kids to behave, stay out of trouble, be a productive part.

Not my mom, her child abuses were child discipline & anyone that tried to stop my mom, she'd show them what real abuse was. My mom & old school parents were actual threats.
And it worked...

·
Registered
2023 Forte GT 6 speed manual Sporty Blue
69 Posts
To this day, I have to remove my belt slowly because the sound of a belt clearing loops brings back memories of many whoopins (all deserved).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts