Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aside from me, is there anyone else thats getting annoyed with the quality of the leather seats? I bought my car back in feb2010 and man...have they warped. my friends 2006 acura TL still has nice looking seats and they are older than mine! so is it the quality or is it just me??

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Mine start cracking after 6 month !!! Yes they are cheap!!! You'll have to treat them with minks oil!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I started treating mine right off the bat...no problems yet and they're still soft.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was going to consider leather seats for the Koup, but when I saw the quality of the leather I opted out [and the fabric seats are excellet]. The Fortes leather seats will crack, lose its color and wear rather quickly -if it's not extremely well taken care of. On the other hand my 1994 Miata has excellent leather seats that still looks new today and I do not do anything at all to maintain them - they are just that good. Leather comes in various grades [grade 1, 2..etc] and goes through a coloring process. The leather on the Forte is not a high grade automotive leather to begin with and combine that with a subpar coloring process and you have a low quality leather seating surface. Everything is built to a price point! They have to skimp somewhere. If you want to feel good quality leather, sit in a Mazda, If you want to feel excellent leather, sit in a Mercedes. Moving forward, I would recommend the following for you; treat your leather with conditioner every two weeks. Use seat covers and keep it out of the sun. The suns UV rays will kill it because it probably hasnt even been UV treated, the color will wear because of the subpar coloring process and the creases will continue because only good leather holds its shape. But there is hope: This site is the guru for leather...it might help: Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products if you use their products, you can keep you leather in tip top shape and even recolor it when it looses its color.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My leather is doing ok, I used to leave the windows down and now my driver side seat is a little sun bleached, and water got on my passenger seat cuz I left the sun roof craved during a down pour and the one low bolster is a little warped but all in all for cheapo leather its pretty good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts