Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals am very interested in purchasing LED interior lighting and HID bulbs for my headlights and possible taillights. I read a lot of the how to section and am ready to tackle this project.

However, I guess I am looking to find some links for where I might go and buy these. I am definitely not light savvy when it comes to specifications.

Could someone maybe post some links to places I can purchase these bulbs and maybe shine some light on what all these specs mean? (h11,5000k,4000k, ect.)

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
H11 is the low-beam bulb mount that works in a Forte. This is quite different than a 'H1' (which is our high beam) so mind the details. If your car has daytime running lights, you cannot run a HID high beam system without further modification to the DRL system.

As for Kelvin, this is a scale to measure the 'heat equivalent' of an object. In lighting, think of it as a piece of steel, that is then super heated. As it warms up it starts to glow red, then yellow, eventually turning white and even blue and purple with more heat. The temperatures the steel is at each colour is how the scale was built. At 3,000 degrees the steel is just barely yellow... at 10,000 degrees it's super blue. You'll want to aim for somewhere in the middle.

Most people go with either a 5,000 or 6,000K bulb. This doesn't mean the bulb actually gets that temperature, it just means that the light produced is the same. 4,500 is about as close to actual 'real' white as you can get, but the slightest blue hint in the 5,000K bulbs make it really stand out. 6,000K is starting to get a bit more of a blue tint, instead of a hint.

35 or 55W is the output of the ballast, and 35W is more than enough for most applications. I have - for the purpose of my own curiosity - ordered a pair of 55W ballasts to replace my 35W ballasts, and plan on photographing the differences for an article. The increase in actual bulb heat can be a serious concern depending on the housing.

Note: retrofitted Xenon HID kits may be illegal in your jurisdiction.
You may be pulled over, and asked to remove them with a citation. This is why the least amount of modification required to install the lights will make it easier of you ever need to go back to plain old sucky 3,000K halogens.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just out of curiosity...if I order the DDM 35W kit, do I need to buy the extra wiring harness as well? Or will the HID kit be all I need?

Figured I'd throw this question in since I'm a noob to lighting as well...

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
There is a slight mod you will have to do to the kit but its nothing big. Refer to kennyc thread on hid instal. I think its in the do it yourself section

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Just out of curiosity...if I order the DDM 35W kit, do I need to buy the extra wiring harness as well? Or will the HID kit be all I need?

Figured I'd throw this question in since I'm a noob to lighting as well...
I'm told the wire harness will help prevent interference and flickering

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, the relay will 100% prevent any issues at all from ever happening with your HID install. The stock wiring is not designed to provide the draw of an HID kit on start-up, and eventually there may be problems with it (not promising, just saying eventually maybe). A relay kit completely eliminates this, and it's far easier to do right off the bat than to go back later and add it in.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I wasted 14.99 on realys when I ordered my low beams from tophidkits. I would still have gotten them for just in case but I never needed them. And ya they are illegal here but about 60% of The cars on the road here have them and I also point them down so I don't blind the cops Haha

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright thanks for the help I purchased my H11 Hid kit and I even purchased the audi like led strips and backups. KIATECH any chance you might be able to give me a run down on the audistrip light install? And any info on interior LED more specificly which bulb I should be checking out for forte koupe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts