Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fixing to start a wk long vacation for work at 4pm today so its going to give me a chance to finnally add some much needed stuff on my car. Im gonna add LEDs for the feet area, I have an Idea on how I want to connect them but I wanted some feed back on what others have connected them too. I was thinking of putting a switch to turn them on..but today driving to work I turned off my traction control swtich (for non speeding reasons :) ) and want a switch to fit in there to look like it was factory done.. what all does everyone have them connected to? radio? remote wire for your amp!? dome lights? hahaIm guessin everyone is going to say add a switch but Ideas are helpful!! wish I had the lighted speakers so it could pulse to the music but Im not that lucky :)

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
PLAN B:

I did it to my friend's Pontiac G6, pop open the fuse box, you'll find couple of spare / empty fuses, take one out, and use a "Fuse Tap". Hers are done that way and they come on and off with the key. I know for sure the koup has one spare fuse in the driver's side fuse box, but i haven't checked if there were more. Also, after you "Fuse tap"it and hook it up, check if the engine cranks right, she had like 5 fuse openings, and the first one would make her engine crank just a tad longer, everything else was perfect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did the LED strips but did it a little different. I choose to install along the base of the center column and connect them to one of the 12v power plugs. It only takes 2mins to remove the whole center column and instead of cutting the 12v wire I used those little clips that allow you to splice into an existing wire. The lights will turn on and off with the key so I didnt feel the need to add a switch.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I did the LED strips but did it a little different. I choose to install along the base of the center column and connect them to one of the 12v power plugs. It only takes 2mins to remove the whole center column and instead of cutting the 12v wire I used those little clips that allow you to splice into an existing wire. The lights will turn on and off with the key so I didnt feel the need to add a switch.
What a fan-FREAKIN-tastic idea! Good job!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Damn.. yeha thats a great idea!.. did you up the fuse for the cigarette adaptors?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I modded an old cell phone cigarette lighter charger, and am using that to wire my LEDs. I have some pics in my profile. The only con with this is that it creates a slight bit of clutter, but then again no warranty issues/electrical problems.

The picture makes the red look very sharp and a nasty color, although its not. It matches the centre console shade of red. The cigarette lighter on the right is the cell phone charge I modded. The rest of the wires in there are the iPod wires and Tim Hortons sugar and stuff.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I modded an old cell phone cigarette lighter charger, and am using that to wire my LEDs. I have some pics in my profile. The only con with this is that it creates a slight bit of clutter, but then again no warranty issues/electrical problems.

The picture makes the red look very sharp and a nasty color, although its not. It matches the centre console shade of red. The cigarette lighter on the right is the cell phone charge I modded. The rest of the wires in there are the iPod wires and Tim Hortons sugar and stuff.

More info and links to material on the cup holders please>>>:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
More info and links to material on the cup holders please>>>:D:D:D:D
Hey, I just used a flex LED strip, and used the sticky 3M material to align up with the bottom curve.

1)This is the type of LED
2) This is what I meant with aligning it to fit the curve, shitty MS paint job, but hopefully you can get what I mean.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Damn.. yeha thats a great idea!.. did you up the fuse for the cigarette adaptors?
Nope...don't need to in my case. I don't use the 12v outlets and the LED strips are rated for 12v. I just didn't want the wires seen so I just tapped off the power supply. They both run off a single outlet so I still have 1 reserve.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've hooked the red LEDs in the leg room and USB compartment to the door switch. I've also installed a delay and a dimmer with it. All interior lights (leg room, usb compartment, map light and dome light) will switch on when any door is open and dims off approx. 5 seconds after all doors are shut. In addition I've installed a switch for the USB compartment just in case I wish to switch it on to look for things at night when I'm driving...attahed is the short video of it...enjoy...

#!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anyone can help me. I can't take off the dome light. It's impossible. I used 4 flat screw driver trying to pop the dome light off the roof. Anyone can help me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts