Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys (and girls). Here's my little DIY on LED "Puddle Lights". Shouldn't cost you more than $30.. Probably even cheaper if you've got some extra wire and connectors already.

Items required:

2x 120cm LED Strips - eBay (~$5/each)
22Ga wire - around 20-30ft (~$5). I bought this, but I probably only needed half as much.
22Ga Wire T-Tap-in Connectors (~$3 for 25, only need 2)
22Ga Wire Blade Connectors (~$3 for 25, only need 2)

First step, disconnect the fuse for your dome lights. Should be this yellow plastic pull in the very middle of the fuse panel. Just pull it.

Now unscrew the dome lights:

Disconnect the white connector and remove the dome light unit. Now pull back the electrical tape leading up to the connector so you can easily access the wires you need. The wires you're going to tap should be the Red and Yellow wires. Just snap the wire tap-ins on.

Now you're going to want to run 2 wires from here, over to the A-pillar. I pushed it under the sponge to hold it in place (as you can see above). I then tucked the wires under the plastic part of the pillar:

Run the wires under the rubber gromet. This part is the messiest part of the whole install. Maybe you guys can come up with a better way of doing this, but I didn't feel like removing door panels.. etc.

Now apply the strip to the bottom of the door:

Now connect the wires you've run to the LED strips (i just used electrical tape), and tuck them into the sponge door gromet:

Do the same to the other door. Once you've got both sides wired up, attach the blade connectors to the ends of the wires in the dome light area:

Now connect the blade connectors into the tap-ins:

Now replace your dome light, push the fuse back in... and voila!

The lights should only come on when the doors are opened.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
thats pretty awesome! im wanting to have those lights in the door handle so i can find it going to my car in the dark, just need to figure out how to run the wire to the door handle

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Great write up, i was finally able to put leds in the foot area :D, here's a couple of pics. Thanks Again
can i get you to take a pic of how you mounted your footwell led's. i've done mine twice but they still dont look right to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How long are the strips u put under the door?

and for the footwells, how long again for you? and i would love to see a pic of that as well

·
Registered
333 Posts
it was pretty easy to mount the strip on the passenger side but difficult on the driver side because there's no place to mount them:confused: so i had to put a piece of cardboard on the driver side to mount them.:D

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
it was pretty easy to mount the strip on the passenger side but difficult on the driver side because there's no place to mount them:confused: so i had to put a piece of cardboard on the driver side to mount them.:D
nice. i understand problem with the driver side. that actually the problem i'm have. i'll try that. thanks.

2,213 Posts
I just want to thank you. This post helped me out a lot today!!! I was trying to mount my LED scuff plates using the door switch with no luck. Thankfully someone led me to this post and it was really easy! They came out great and hiding the wires worked great! I'd post pics but it's raining out lol

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I just want to thank you. This post helped me out a lot today!!! I was trying to mount my LED scuff plates using the door switch with no luck. Thankfully someone led me to this post and it was really easy! They came out great and hiding the wires worked great! I'd post pics but it's raining out lol
Glad it worked for you :D

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
20 should work. 22 is just there recommendations. as long as you make your connections correctly your can probably use just about any size wire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
if the switch for your map/dome lights are set in the "off" position, and you do this mod, will the "puddle lights" still activate? in other words, will the puddle lights still draw a load from the wire taps and turn on, or will the off switch prevent a load?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.