Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left the trunk of my Forte sedan overnight accidentally. It started fine in the morning. Then, I drove to work, which takes about 20 minutes.

1) Was the battery severely drained? Since the car started, then the battery should be fine., correct?

2) I heard that driving the car recharges the battery. Is that true? Will driving for 2p minutes be enough or do I have to get it recharged?

·
Registered
139 Posts
You should be ok,
1, if it was severly drained your car wouldnt have started, it would have clicked or made some other weird noise. Batteries dont like to stay fully discharged for long but as mentioned It doesnt sound like you drined it that much.

2.Yes cars recharge their own batteries (except chevy volts and the like) thats what the alternator does. Driving for a few minutes (.5-2) generally makes up what you spent starting the car. Anything after that is surplus. The only situation where you would need a recharge is if it was dead enough not to start the car.

Id be more worried about punks ripping off my car tho lol

·
Registered
593 Posts
Something to keep in mind... altanators are not good battery chargers. They are meant to provide electricity to the vehicle while running and to keep the battery topped off. If the engine is running your vehicle should not be using power from the battery (this would result in a drained battery). The only time the battery should be used is when starting the vehicle and powering devices when the engine is not running.

Convential batteries are not designed to loose more then a nominal charge and then be charged back up. This can/will hurt the battery (deep cycle batteries are designed for this use).

Leaving the trunk light on over night should not hurt a good battery much but driving it is not the best way to charge it. It will work and everything should be just fine but a good charge is the best way (connected before driving the vehicle). Good charges will change the amount of amps going into the battery based on it's condition (level of charge and resistance).

But again, driving the vehicle should be just fine. I just wanted to give some more info for future reference.

I'm no battery expert... just been dealing with boat batteries for years and I've done a _lot_ of research.

If you have the need for a light charge/bettery maintainer, I'd recommend Battery Tender. They are great for leaving on a battery to maintain a charge and also to top a battery off. I have a truck in addition to the Kia and always use the Kia. So I leave the Battery Tender on the truck battery.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
This is why I replaced all my lights with LEDs! Very low power so if you do accidentally leave it on, it won't drain your battery much at all.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
^^^ +1 for LEDs!
Same reason I replaced my turn signals with LED. So if I have to leave the car with the hazards on, they should last a LONG time.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
the trunk was left open, did you check to see if the light was still on? I've had experiences before (on others cars) where the glove box was left open the whole night and the car would not start the next day (drained battery). Maybe it shut off on it's own? do our cars have that feature? hmmm

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
the trunk was left open, did you check to see if the light was still on? I've had experiences before (on others cars) where the glove box was left open the whole night and the car would not start the next day (drained battery). Maybe it shut off on it's own? do our cars have that feature? hmmm
Ha! Good one!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
this may be out of topic.. but sometimes when i open my trunk from the inside or key fob.. the light doesn't light up.. and sometimes the indicator inside doesnt light up also.. not a big deal but anyone else have this issue? thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
I doubt it hurt anything. I ran down a battery one time in my Sonata and after I put it on a trickle charger to get it up to starting, the battery recharged and I never had any problem. Can't remember what I did but it was something similar. I wouldn't worry about it. As a previous poster said, if you could start it, you will be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Old thread but I thought I would ask. Does leaving a door open for extended hours drain the battery if no interior lights are on? The only light on is the door open light on the dash. Question is because I have to have some rust worked on in the driver door frame and the door will be open for a long time, so I was wondering if this would be safe without disconnecting the battery. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.