Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not sure if this is already been posted, but I’ve been reading a lot about the ticking noise coming from 2011 fortes. My story same as the rest of yours, heard the engine start to tick, take to mechanic, he tells you the car needs a new engine, Kia won’t do anything because it’s a forte and not an Optima, Sorento, or Sportage. Anyway, my question is how many of you continued to drive your Forte after getting the ticking checked out and how long did your Forte last before it kicked the bucket? Just trying to figure out when I’ll need to get a new car. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
I'll be honest now: I have never owned one of the models with the effected engines, but I have done some research on them.
From what I've read, it seems many have noticed the ticking a few years (2 or 3) before the engine was finally replaced. Also some seem to have gotten them replaced at no cost to them, even though their vehicle was out of warranty (to my knowledge, there was never an official recall, but it seems Kia is being very easy-going with the whole deal)...it might actually be worth your time to see if a dealership will go ahead and confirm if you do have a defective engine (if that is the case).
Kia corporate has been paying for the replacements, not the individual dealer, which makes it much easier to get the dealership to do the procedure. Also I think I read somewhere that the effected engines have had the factory warranty extended to 15 years/150k miles (which could explain why I've read vehicles as old as yours getting them replaced for free even though there was never a recall), so if you have less than 150k, it may still be under warranty if my claim is correct.

I should add I was never aware of the Forte being denied the issue, so hopefully everything I said wasn't completely useless :/

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reading the Quebec facebook group on Kia engine failures, there are a lot of people who have reported that Kia has denied them replacements. I would say Kia has been anything BUT "easy-going". I got mine replaced but it wasn't hassle-free (dealer tried to give me the runaround and I was still $500 out-of-pocket for related components)

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
658 Posts
CBC Marketplace investigation on Kia/Hyundai engines:
I wonder if my vin to my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta has recall aka "Product Improvement Campaigns." On it.

Even though it has the Theta engine in a 2010.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts