Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends. Need to figure out where the Grey wire coming from the bottom of the engine bay fuse box goes. It ends at the starter solenoid, goes up to the starter relay in the main fuse panel, then goes where? I suspect to the ignition but need proof.

The problem:
Fully functional car in phenomenal shape but suddenly would not crank with no adverse warnings or indications. Batt good, starter good, solenoid good, all fuses and relays. My father is helping and is an Avionic Engineer and the above is as far as we can get due to the space below the fuse box. Colorado Springs area, temp dropping to near 0 occasionally. May be mice, just need SCHEMATIC to chase wire and determine connectivity.

Thanks a million in advance.

J

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
… Need to figure out where the Grey wire coming from the bottom of the engine bay fuse box goes. It ends at the starter solenoid, goes up to the starter relay in the main fuse panel, then goes where? ...
Not sure exactly what you mean when you say the grey wire goes to the starter solenoid, because the wire to the starter solenoid coming from the power side of the starter relay is red. Perhaps you just took a shortcut in what you wrote.

Anyway, the grey wire is the power wire on the control side of the starter relay, and it does eventually get routed to the ignition switch. However, that circuit also includes the transaxle range switch, a 10A fuse in the cabin fuse box, and an optional ignition lock switch. So the flow of power from the ignition switch is through those 2 (or 3) things first, before getting to the starter relay. If you found no power at that wire with the key at start, then have you checked the 10A START fuse in the cabin fuse box, and the transaxle range switch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure exactly what you mean when you say the grey wire goes to the starter solenoid, because the wire to the starter solenoid coming from the power side of the starter relay is red. Perhaps you just took a shortcut in what you wrote.

Anyway, the grey wire is the power wire on the control side of the starter relay, and it does eventually get routed to the ignition switch. However, that circuit also includes the transaxle range switch, a 10A fuse in the cabin fuse box, and an optional ignition lock switch. So the flow of power from the ignition switch is through those 2 (or 3) things first, before getting to the starter relay. If you found no power at that wire with the key at start, then have you checked the 10A START fuse in the cabin fuse box, and the transaxle range switch?
Thanks, sir. Helpful.
The 10A Start Fuse is good. When I jump the Grey power wire at the relay to the pos battery I can crank. So there must be a break between steering column and fuse box. Do you know where to find a schematic?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
…. When I jump the Grey power wire at the relay to the pos battery I can crank. So there must be a break between steering column and fuse box. Do you know where to find a schematic?
This doesn't mean the problem has to be a wiring issue, because the transaxle range (inhibitor) switch is also in the mix. Did you try to start it in N, and does the correct transaxle gear letter light up on the dash indicator display? In asking these questions I'm assuming you have an automatic transmission, so you can post back if you have a manual tranny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts