Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time here and first post as well. I've been slowly building up my sedan. However because it's a daily driver I don't want to go too nuts on it. The good thing is that it's pretty new so stuff available for it is relatively low.

I've updated the mod list as of August 14, 2020:

Exhaust
  • Quad tip axle back muffler
  • Resonator deleted
Suspension
  • Eibach lowering springs (Pro Kit E10-42-047-01-22)
  • Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar (BHR98Z)
Lighting
  • All lights replaced with LED's (signal, trunk, interior, license plate, foglights, reverse, dome, map, vanity, glove box)
  • LED strips under footwells
  • Front sequential LED strip
Wheels
  • Rims: V8 V-14 wheels in matt black 20x8.5 (+45mm offset)
  • Tires: Lexani LX-20 235/30-20
Engine
  • aFe Power Takeda Intake
  • SaaS Throttle controller
  • GFB Respons Adjustable Blow-Off Valve
  • JB4 ECU module
Comfort & Convenience
  • Silent Guard noise insulation
  • Tensioned boot spring
  • Umbrella hooks
  • Cargo net
  • Boot liner
  • Piaa Sports Horns
  • Boot pull strap
  • Second cargo net behind the driver's seat
  • Boot hook for backpacks and shopping bags
Cosmetics
  • 15% ceramic window tint
  • Aftermarket boot lid spoiler
  • Rear window visor
  • Vinyl wrapped: red accent on rear diffuser, red accents on front grille, rear panel
  • Black/carbon fiber K badges
  • Vinyl wrapped lower interior doors
  • Vinyl wrapped lower front lip
  • Smoked taillights
  • Smoked front & rear signal lights, reverse lights
  • Carbon fiber plate over shift knob
  • Blackvue DR590 Dashcam

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte GT (DCT w/GT2)
1 Posts
Your car looks AWESOME. I have a few questions:

Is your car an automatic? I see you installed a throttle controller and have been interested in installing one on mine.

What did you use to black out the red strip on the rear diffuser and the whole front grille? Also, I see you blacked out the area between the two taillights, did you use the same product here, too?

Did you replace the fog lights with LED's, and if so, do you remember the bulb you used?

Lastly, do you have the URL or part number you used for the smoked rear window visor?

Sorry for all the questions! I really like the mods you chose for your car, and would like to do a few of the same on mine! Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your car looks AWESOME. I have a few questions:

Is your car an automatic? I see you installed a throttle controller and have been interested in installing one on mine.

What did you use to black out the red strip on the rear diffuser and the whole front grille? Also, I see you blacked out the area between the two taillights, did you use the same product here, too?

Did you replace the fog lights with LED's, and if so, do you remember the bulb you used?

Lastly, do you have the URL or part number you used for the smoked rear window visor?

Sorry for all the questions! I really like the mods you chose for your car, and would like to do a few of the same on mine! Thanks in advanced.
Thanks for the kind words. I'll see if I can answer your questions.

1. Yes, the car is an automatic. Unfortunately we don't get the manual version (at least not yet) here in Australia.
2. Yes, I definitely recommend the throttle controller. I like the idea of being able to control the sensitivity in accordance to my driving mood at the time. I'm not sure what brands are available there, but in Australia I've installed the SAAS brand, which is cheap but performs flawlessly. It does it's job, letting you adjust the throttle sensitivity level on the fly.
3. For the red accents, I purchased a gloss black vinyl strip in 12mm. It covers the red stripe going across the back nicely (there will be some small gaps but it's not noticeable). As for the front, I was too lazy to remove the grilled and paint it, so I cut up small sections of the same vinyl stripe, and sat there and covered each red bit one by one. Took me about 2 hours, which in retrospect would have probably taken less time if I removed the bumper to remove the grille.
4. For the are between the taillights, I got a professional vinyl wrapper to do that bit as I don't have the skill (well, at least making it look neat). He used 3M gloss black vinyl as well and did it in about 15 minutes.
5. Yes for the LED on the foglights. The GT's the foglights use HB4/9006.
6. Here is the link where I bought the rear visor on eBay:

Good luck! Feel free to ask anything else!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Arith!

Saw that you said you changed out the turn signal bulbs. Just wondering what were the bulbs that you used on those and also how were they a pain?
I've been thinking of doing them because the stock bulbs look so cheap.

Also with your exhaust, do you have mufflers? (If you don't mind, a cheeky exhaust clip would be sick!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Arith!

Saw that you said you changed out the turn signal bulbs. Just wondering what were the bulbs that you used on those and also how were they a pain?
I've been thinking of doing them because the stock bulbs look so cheap.

Also with your exhaust, do you have mufflers? (If you don't mind, a cheeky exhaust clip would be sick!)

Thanks!
The turn signal bulbs both front and rear use BAU15S or PY21W. I'll put a link for them below (I noticed you'rein Australia so I've put a local seller but anyone can buy them anywhere really). However you must be careful because a lot of sellers claim to be CANBUS compatible and error free but they're not. The link I've given you work without problem. The other issue is if you buy one that is too long, they will have trouble fitting in the back.

The front bulbs are very easy to access. Just 3 fasteners and you can pull back the cover to access them. The only problem would be the rear. These are extremely difficult to access due to the stock muffler tips. If you have an aftermarket muffler it makes it easier, but if you have the stock muffler, you may need to release it from the hanger to let them drop down in order to access the bulbs. Even then, they are in a tight area and it's difficult to twist them off and back on. It's do-able, just expect to swear and curse a lot.

I only did the axleback muffler upgrade. I tried delete the 2nd cat and upgrading the resonator, but found that even though the 2nd cat yields more performance gains, it's also quite noisy inside the cabin during acceleration. A lot of droning when you accelerate. And on the cold starts in the morning, it even scares the dog down the street. Very loud. So in the end I went back to the stock 2nd cat and resonator.

So muffler only = louder, deeper tone. Resonator delete = crackle and pop that a lot of people love. Cat delete = better performance but droning

Exhaust With Axleback Upgrade

Exhaust After 2nd Cat Delete

PY21W LED Bulbs on eBay Australia

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol. Don't follow me because I hardly update on this forum. But here are my latest convenience upgrades.
* Trunk tension springs *
The sedan has an auto open function but when the trunk does open, it only opens half way, and you still have to give it a nudge to open it fully. By installing a spring it now opens fully.

Video of the trunk now opening in full

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
* Cargo net *
Found a universal fit cargo net that is quite convenient for storing stuff

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
* Trunk handle strap *
Attached a pull handle to the plastic handle to make closing the trunk easier

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As well as replacing the RaceChip with the JB4 piggyback tuning module, I also got an enclosed Takeda intake from aFe Power.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
18 Posts
The car looks amazing. I am wondering how the ride is on the lowered springs? Also, did you encounter any rubbing when lowering it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The car looks amazing. I am wondering how the ride is on the lowered springs? Also, did you encounter any rubbing when lowering it?
The Eibach springs are quite good. Yes, it's a bit more bumpy, but it's cushioned and still quite tolerable. Less so now with the 20s, but if you've ever had a lowered car it's still decent, more than most setups. Besides, it's not that low really, only about a 1.25" lowering.
If the offset is good there should be no rubbing. There was no rubbing on the 19s with a +42mm offset, but the 20s only had a +40mm offset the rears rubbed. Had to shave it another +5mm to +45mm in the back. Still rubs occasionally but it's not noticeable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Eibach springs are quite good. Yes, it's a bit more bumpy, but it's cushioned and still quite tolerable. Less so now with the 20s, but if you've ever had a lowered car it's still decent, more than most setups. Besides, it's not that low really, only about a 1.25" lowering.
If the offset is good there should be no rubbing. There was no rubbing on the 19s with a +42mm offset, but the 20s only had a +40mm offset the rears rubbed. Had to shave it another +5mm to +45mm in the back. Still rubs occasionally but it's not noticeable.
Thank you for the detailed response. I have never lowered a car, so this would be my first time. I always heard that they can be harsh but I assume that's due to the spring itself. I was planning on sticking with the stock 18" for a bit, so it sounds like I shouldn't encounter any rubbing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the detailed response. I have never lowered a car, so this would be my first time. I always heard that they can be harsh but I assume that's due to the spring itself. I was planning on sticking with the stock 18" for a bit, so it sounds like I shouldn't encounter any rubbing.
Should be fine if you stuck with the stock wheels. They are a cool +55mm offset so plenty of clearance. Do you guys get the Michelin PS4 over there for tires? I found those to be quite harsh combined with the stock springs (in Australia it's tuned for performance so it's quite stiff). So when I swapped to Eibachs and Continental tires it was a more comfortable ride.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts