Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking forward to some insight here (D113 and others) regarding some sound system questions.

First, I understand what an LOC is and that there are passive (budget) styles and then ones like the JL CleanSweep(not for the Forte, I remember that:)) the Cache C06 and others. The main purpose is to create RCA output jacks/signals to feed an external amp, but don't a number of amps nowadays have High Level Inputs to be connected to the speaker outputs of the head unit (HU) or is there more to be gained with something like the Cache or Audio Controls LC6i?

EQs (equalizers) Like most people, i understand that an EQ allows you increase/decrease certain frequency ranges to "tune" the sound for your tastes and vehicle conditions but is this necessary if you haven't had one up till now?

Then you get into Line Drivers / Bass Expanders / Sound Processors... where does it end! :eek:

I have searched through both forums looking at all the posts I could find on speakers / amps / sub woofers trying to learn enough to ask the right questions.

When asking "What speakers do you recommend?" the answer changes with who you ask and the time of day. I understand it has a lot to do with personal preference and past experience but here is what I'm thinking.

JL Audio C5 Evolution seem to be a good choice but a bit pricey($800 for the component set locally) for me so I'm thinking the JL VR series or Alpine "R" or Kenwood Excelon. I have also been recommended to look at Soundstream, Hertz and MB Quart.

The real challenge is that while you may have only 50 or so manufactures to look at, each has different levels of product and it gets very confusing.

Now start thinking about adding an amp to power these new speakers. What kind? How many watts? How many channels? Where do I put it? Do I need to run new speaker wires? What gauge wire do I need based on the wattage I end up running? Do I need a second amp and sub woofers or will doing the internal speakers be enough? D I need to add deadening to the doors/floor? What product should I use? (This much i got figured, B-Quite Ultimate and Ensolite foam are being ordered)

My head is spinning so I'll leave it at that for now and see what comes back to me. :confused::(:confused::(

Cheers

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I went JL because ive liked their product for years but couldn't afford it then. Jl is notorious for being overpriced in Canada at the dealers end due to two step in distribution to the consumer.

If you want a complete JL package let me know because it's probably cheaper for me to get it for you from ultra and ship it.

You can get great prices from eBay or sonicelectronix dot com but you have no Canadian warranty at that point.

You should visit Canadiancaraudio.com and contact mr2nr as he's a seller of a number of lines out west however he doesn't carry JL but can recommend a number if other good lines.

Musical taste should also be a factor in your choices. Sealed subs versus potted make a big difference too in this regard.

I will try to help more when you let me know what you want to listen to.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It alls depends on your personal preference...

Do you need/like loud music? Or you just want it to sound good at moderate volume?

What kind of music do you listen to ?

And of course, what's your budget?

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, what do I listen to...hmmm!

I like a lot of Techno type music, Deadmau5, Basshunter, Darude, Owl City that kind of thing but also Nickleback, Greenday and even a mix of todays Pop music. I'm not much into Rap or Hip Hop but do like to put on some of the old classics, Queen, Van Valen and the like.

I have been visiting the local Car Audio shops, just the independants not the big box stores. I want to deal with a small. proffesional shop where they specialize in good quality installations and can really help me get it "tuned". There are 2 shops in Kelowna and 2 in Vernon and here is what has been recomended so far.

The first one is propsing either Kenwood Excelon or MB Quart speakers an a Soundstream Stealth amp STL 4.500 and an inexpensive LOC. A second is suggesting Focals in the front with an Audison amp and using the high level inputs but leaving the rears stock since i don't have people in the rear. The third is proposing Morel speakers and the same Sounstream STL 4.500 and an LC6i LOC. The last and winningest (if that's a word) shop again suggested an Audison amp with the mid level Hertz speakers. He suggested the the Audison's high level inputs would be more than adequate in my sistuation but that that we could add an LC6i or the like down the road if we need more adjustemnts.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I would avoid soundstream speakers (amps are fine). The speakers aren't what they used to be. It will be more difficult to tune the system if the HU is poweeing the rears and you have some real power in the front. Also without an amp on the rears you have no crossover control on them and it may be easy to blow them if you aren't careful. It will also be easy to over drive them with a simple slip of the fader or bass control. Excelons are great, mb quarts are notorious for being very bright. Morels and focals are fantastic if you buy into the higher end. I found that the focal k2powers were a minimum to get the midbass you'd want for your type of music. (I too am a heavy listener of Deadmau5). I don't know the morel line enough to comment on which in the series is best. Get some quotes on the speakers themselves and let me know if you want met to get a quote on anything out here. By the way, ultra now carries focal as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
^^ I bought Soundstream Van Gogh components and Tarantula 2-ways back in 2005 and they were great! I don't know about recent soundstream speakers, though...

BigE: The last shop proposition you mentionned seems just right to me! Hertz speakers (the supose you're referring to the hi-energy line) are a great bang for the buck and you can't go wrong with Audison...

I would power all four speakers off an amplifier.

Also, a good quality 10" subwoofer in a sealed enclosure should make you happy. :)

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so the #4 choice above seems to be thw best so far.

He's got an Audison SRX4 NIB that he'll sell me for $400 on clearance which seems fair based on what I've seen on eBay but this will come with a warranty. 4 x 65 W at 4ohms.

The speakers he suggested are Hertz HiEnergy HSK 165, 4 ohm, 92 dB @ $599 and then the HCX 165 coaxials in the rear. (didn't get a price but I'm assuming less than the component set.) $399 -$499???

The Focal K2 are way too expensive for me at $900-$1000, I was looking at the VR 165's for $599.

I'll probably look at a sub down the road.

The other shop in town suggested the Soundstream STL 4.500 amp with Morel Dotech Ovation Comp $549 plus Morel Integra Ovation coax $599.

I realize I can save a few bucks buying the hardware somewhere else but I'd rather buy from the same guys that install it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
He's got an Audison SRX4 NIB that he'll sell me for $400 on clearance which seems fair based on what I've seen on eBay but this will come with a warranty. 4 x 65 W at 4ohms.

The speakers he suggested are Hertz HiEnergy HSK 165, 4 ohm, 92 dB @ $599 and then the HCX 165 coaxials in the rear. (didn't get a price but I'm assuming less than the component set.) $399 -$499???

I realize I can save a few bucks buying the hardware somewhere else but I'd rather buy from the same guys that install it.
The amplifier price is pretty good, but 599$ for the speakers is outrageous! I can sell them to you for 200$ less, lol. That's more than "a few bucks" !

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Yeah something seems funny with the pricing out west. Those prices should be 'installed' prices if anything.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah something seems funny with the pricing out west. Those prices should be 'installed' prices if anything.
It seems that way on a lot of things. Must be the price we pay for living in "Lotus Land"!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts