Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Before I begin, I just want to express that if you are going to reply by telling me to "grow up" or "get a job," then to please refrain from replying at all. Also, as a heads up, sorry for the long post. I am looking for genuine opinions, good and bad, about the Koup to help aid me in my mission to convince my father to co-sign a loan for me to get one.

I fell in love with a Kia Forte Koup SX, black on black, 6 speed manual transmission, probably for all the same reasons you current Koup owners did. My 2002 Mitsubishi Galant has, quite frankly, served its' purpose - to get me to and from high school and work. With 128,000 miles and problems around every turn, I've decided that it's time for me to get a new car. Unfortunately, I have zero established credit, and for whatever reason, have even been getting denied credit cards with low limits (like $200). My only option left, really, is to have my father - a loan officer with exceptional credit - to co-sign a loan for me. He has absolutely no problems helping me. I'm going to be 20 years old, I have held my full-time job for three years now, and I while I might have not been the most easy daughter to deal with, I have, overall, been good. :)

While my dad doesn't have a problem helping me get a new car, he has a huge problem helping me get a KIA. He clearly doesn't have a problem with the price range of the Koup, as he has suggested more expensive cars to me. However, I am irrevocably in love with this car, and quite frankly, am at the point where if you take me to our local dealership, I will not be leaving without that car. I've test drove both the automatic and manuals, and ultimately, am somehow shocked that I returned the salesman. How I am not on the lam with GTA and kidnapping charges is beyond me. (I must have really good self control!)

My father is very against the makers of this car...not the car itself. Would anybody be willing to send input my way, both pros and cons (so that I'm not providing him a totally biased opinion) of the Koup? I think showing him something that actual owners are saying would be more beneficial than the guys at the dealership - because, obviously, they are going to push for a sale and not dare to list the downsides to the car. Moreso, if anyone can provide optimism about the reputation of Kia, that would help, too. I personally feel that they have redefined themselves within the past year or two, and should not be viewed as the maker of the poor man's car any longer. He is just SO against Kia for their previous reputation as just that - as well as their horrible track record regarding depreciation. I understand my dad is worried that if I wind up wanting or needing to resell the Koup in a year or so, I will potentially be belly up on a payment...but I also just can't seem to see how anyone wouldn't want a Koup. Maybe that's just me! :)

Thank you all for your time!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Good luck, my father-in-law cosigned for mine, I, luckily, did not have any problems convincing him of the quality, he has an 08 Sportage and loves it.
Maybe find some direct comparisons on edmunds and sites like that to civic's and corolla's and the like.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
The top comments are biased.. This car is made in KOREA (100%), and will be made there for a while, the only cars made in the US are some Hyundai and the Sorento.The negatives, this car was rushed into production without adequate testing so you will encounter problems (especially in the manual transmission). From what I've read before, the 6-spd people can't really take off from 1st gear without stalling...

here are the some threads, read them well:

UNBELEIVABLE!!!! new tranny needed at 600 miles??!! - Kia Forum

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/kia-forte-2-4l-engine-discussion/956-6-speed-manual.html

I only commented on the negatives because everyone already knows the positives of the cars. Take in mind that this is only the transmission. carefully research this forum...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I wasn't stating the new plant makes the Forte's I was commenting that KIA company has a new plant that employs US workers now. Where a few years ago they were only Korean. This is a plus as long as you like the US...

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
As an owner of sx sedan 6sp mt I can tell you the manual transmission has a learning curve to it. I stalled the car a ton, but you get used to it and eventually stop stalling it. I have never had an issue with grinding gear as some have. Overall I am very pleased with the car. I would currently give it an 8 out 10.

Positives: price, technology, features, warranty.
Cons: MT was rushed, plastic interior seems to scratch easily and that's it for me.

Good luck and remind your father that while you appreciate his help w/ the loan it ultimately should be your decision (unless he is paying for the car also, then
it's his decision. Lol)

·
Registered
533 Posts
But even with my 1st gear issues i wouldn't trade this ride for anything and even if my tranny drops I get a nice new one from KIA per my 10 year 100,000 mile warranty... KIA has had a bad rep and I never thouhgt in my life that I would ever say I own a KIA lol... For reference though, a local garage down the street from where I work has a Canary Yellow Ferrari that he drives up and down the street all the time, the other day he stopped and asked what I was driving and was fully impressed, today I saw him driving a brand new Racing Red Koup... He stopped by and said he prefered driving his Koup over his Ferrari now... I was needless to say shocked and amazed... KIA has come a long way and is making a new name for themselves fast...

·
Registered
31 Posts
600 mile dump on a tranny is not the norm, so why even mention it? Go in to any car forum and someone (or more than one ) will have a horror story.

·
Registered
644 Posts
You should have told him you would have traded your koup for his ferrari :p

But even with my 1st gear issues i wouldn't trade this ride for anything and even if my tranny drops I get a nice new one from KIA per my 10 year 100,000 mile warranty... KIA has had a bad rep and I never thouhgt in my life that I would ever say I own a KIA lol... For reference though, a local garage down the street from where I work has a Canary Yellow Ferrari that he drives up and down the street all the time, the other day he stopped and asked what I was driving and was fully impressed, today I saw him driving a brand new Racing Red Koup... He stopped by and said he prefered driving his Koup over his Ferrari now... I was needless to say shocked and amazed... KIA has come a long way and is making a new name for themselves fast...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
600 mile dump on a tranny is not the norm, so why even mention it? Go in to any car forum and someone (or more than one ) will have a horror story.

because I wanted people to know that KIA bought this guy out to stay quiet about the lack of testing on this vehicle (both Sedan and KOUP models)...

HAHA, whats up guys. Sorry for the lack of correspondence in the last couple months. I have been fighting this out and quite frankly its been horrible and a definite killer on my morale. Im kind of under hush orders from KIA on this. Needless to say, it is finally behind me and all I can legally say is that KIA and I came to an agreement (wink) and I no longer own the vehicle. Its a real shame. Its a beautiful LOOKING car and has some great features, but they obviously rushed it out the door and into production and skimped on the testing horribly. Some cars are not having these problems, but mine did and others have.

Bottom line...

1. The 2nd gear grinding problem in the 2.0 5 speeds is a known issue. I met another local guy with the same car, same problem. I was on my second tranny and still had grinding which was witnessed by both the KIA special engineer and the head dealership tech. We never figured out what it was and they tried a lot of different and kinda strange ways to get rid of it.

2. The backfiring is also a very well known issue that they have tagged as an ECU programming problem... that they still couldnt figure out after "reprogramming" my ECU multiple times. The backfire is so violent that it actually blows the tube off of the air cleaner assembly sometimes (eek) so if yours does backfire, make sure to check that tube periodically so your not drawing unfiltered air into your engine.

3. The only other issue which I never complained about but is another example of flawed testing is the insanely loud whistling noise from the side mirrors. I couldnt believe they let that by without fixing it before production. I literally never drove the car with the windows down.

If your vehicle does these things all I can say is document, document, document. And then make copies, lol. Be patient and dont loose your cool with the dealership or kia because it will just make your life worse. Kia has no choice but to stand behind their product but you must do your part correctly. Also note that the dealership can literally and legally tell you to F%^* off and that it is now between you and KIA, which is what happened to me so as I said keep your cool with KIA. KIA ended up talking to my dealership and forcing them to work with me. I know its frustrating to have such serious problems with a brand new vehicle that you forked out a ton of money for but such is life. Live, learn and move on. As a side note at least your not a jeep patriot owner... I hear they are having serious rain leakage (literally pouring) problems right through the dome light which is right above the radio cluster/instruments... FUN STUFF. My advice is to never buy a new, first year vehicle. Let other people figure this stuff out for you and only buy proven designs. My "new" 07 camry is a delight. And no I havnt had any unintended acceleration...YET, LOL.

Good luck to you all.

Take care.
He also sent me a personal message in the old forte forums saying more...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go in to any car forum and someone (or more than one ) will have a horror story. I have had lemons in the past......it happens......my money is on the majority of Forte's will provide their owners with good service, Cheers!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Why are you fighting with your dad??? - first you should agree with your dad 100% [that will make him happy] then take him to the Audi dealer and test drive an A4 then tell him -'YEP...I'll take it'. See then everybody is happy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why are you fighting with your dad??? - first you should agree with your dad 100% [that will make him happy] then take him to the Audi dealer and test drive an A4 then tell him -'YEP...I'll take it'. See then everybody is happy.
lmafo:p

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
My father is very against the makers of this car...not the car itself.
I'm seeing more opinions of the Koup instead of Kia in general.

Everyone should keep in mind that Honda and Toyota were once regarded as cheap and unreliable vehicles at one point also. Yes, Kia may have once been thought of as unreliable but given some time, they've greatly improved and will continue to do so. And besides, the 100,000 mile warranty is the best of anyone so that takes care of the big stuff. :cool:

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I'm seeing more opinions of the Koup instead of Kia in general.

Everyone should keep in mind that Honda and Toyota were once regarded as cheap and unreliable vehicles at one point also. Yes, Kia may have once been thought of as unreliable but given some time, they've greatly improved and will continue to do so. And besides, the 100,000 mile warranty is the best of anyone so that takes care of the big stuff. :cool:
Actually foreign cars like Honda and Toyota were considered to be better than domestic cars. If you look over past history, people were complaining about the quality of domestic cars such as Ford vehicles. Ford took action and they began changing the company quality issues and started making slogans such as "Have you driven a Ford lately?" or a more recent one "Built Ford tough"...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, your #1 selling point should be the car's warranty. Which manufacturer offers you a better one? As far as I am concerned, the resale value is not an issue, since you don't really lose any more than what you save up front.

Your father is doing you a favour by co-signing. While it doesn't mean that he should choose the car for you, his opinion (right or wrong) does matter. However, you should diplomatically point out that you are the one who will be making a 100% of the car payments. If he believes that you are capable of paying for the car yourself, then what does it matter which brand you choose?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ive had 3 kias 98 sephia 08 spectra and now 2010 koup. I loved them all. Ive had 2 honda civics one hatch one 4 door, 03 eclipse, 00 sentra and a 01 grand am. Kia is always the best bang for the buck. And now best looking, plus everthing that makes all their cars more than just commuter. Not to mention the standard safety features on the spectra saved my life. Had I not had the side airbags, like the cobalt, civic, mazda, ford... my head would've been split open. And kia still has the best standard safety. Then on top of the warranty you cant lose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey phyrereii!

like all of us, you too have fallen in love with the koup and with good reason! it's a beautiful car with great features at a bargain price. kia has really been moving up the ladder ever since peter schreyer (one of the former head designers for audi) got on board. but since i assume you already know about all the positives of the koup, one of the biggest complaints i have with my koup is what i perceive to be its relatively cheap construction quality. i may be completely wrong here, but the reason why i feel this way is because i had a LOT of problems with interior rattling noises ever since the first week of buying the car. in order to get the noises fixed, i must've went to my local dealership almost 10 times for over a period of 1 month. the funniest thing however is that i still have some noises coming from the dash area and somewhere in the back.

another reason i think the construction quality might be cheap is because of this annoying "clack" sound i hear whenever i open the driver side door. i tried getting it fixed multiple times at the dealership, but either the sound magically goes away when i get there or they tell me that they don't hear anything wrong when i clearly do. they tried adjusting the windows and everything too, but the sound still remains...

Having said all that, I do wanna make it clear that i still love my baby, and I'm sure you will too if you buy it. But i'm jus trying to make clear the fact that the kia is no audi or mercedes. it might look nice and have many great features, but in the end, there is a reason why it's still half the price of those other german cars. imo, i think the overall quality of the parts and construction of the car has a lot to do with it.

but if you had to choose btw a honda or a kia, i honestly think that kia is now definitely on the same level as them (or will be soon).

despite everything i said, i still hope you choose the koup! :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts