Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the highway (SX manual), had it at a lower gear high RPM (4th), and i activated cruise control for a sec before shifting. As you know

Cruise control:

Doesn't activate out of gear
gets deactivated by clutch
gets deactivated by brakes

however, i know certain points in my tranny where i can take it out of gear without the clutch, so today when i had my cruise control on, i took it out of gear without the clutch, and, cruise control stayed on, revving the engine out of gear :D

so my reaction was to hit the brakes to deactivate the system. (this is how i usually cancel it)

I just thought it was interesting that i found a "loophole" in the system.

btw, i always use the clutch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's not really a loophole, it is the way cruise control works. Try that in any manual transmission vehicle and it will do the same thing, although some vehicles will notice an abrupt change in rpms and will turn the cruise control off if it jumps too much too fast.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
ok- 1)jeremiad- noodle is driving a clutch/stick/manual...
and 2)noodle- you actually push your stick out of gear w/o hitting the clutch?
(if so- why ??)

and what do you mean by the "certain points" bit.......?

there has got to be a story behind this tale- lol

·
Registered
973 Posts
you dont have to be at a certain point to pop the selector out of gear, but you do have to gently ease it into gear at a certain point
for my 5 speed its at a little over 2k rpm
you have to push down very gently, barely any pressure, until it slides into gear
thats when the transmission input shaft and the flywheel (and thus the crank) are turning the same speed, (which is what a clutch does, makes them match speeds before changing gears)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had an old corolla in college that the clutch went out on. I was too poor to get it fixed right away, therefore, I "power" shifted it for about a month in this way. I'm sure it wreaked havoc on the tranny, but it worked! I found that after letting off the accelerator, I could pull the shifter out of gear and quickly shove it into the next.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By some points i mean at certain rpms,, i can just tap it and it pops gently out of gear, and at other times, i have to hit the clutch to get it out of gear (too afraid to hurt it). but i always use clutch when taking it out of gear, this was just experimenting. and CORYTATE, someone who used to drive a truck told me the same thing, but i never believed him

1 - 6 of 6 Posts