Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone expereinced this problem? I have a 3 month old Kia Forte EX with the Fuel Economy Package. Until this happened, I could not have been happier with my new Kia.

I was making a 90 degree left turn through an intersection without having stopped, as I straightend up on the northbound road I pressed on the accelerator in order to slide into the right hand lane. I had no accelerator, I pressed it half way down and then all the way down, and repeated, but nothing in response. Fortunately, I had enough speed on the vehicle to gp far enough to pull into a business parking lot about a 100 yards up the road.

It was strange as the car did not loose power, in that I still had the radio and power steering, etc, just no acceleration. As I pulled or rather coasted into the parking area I noticed the following warning lights and yes the car was still running: Check engine light, oil pressure warning, charging system warning and the electronic power steering indicator. While parked with the engine still running, I tried the accelerator again but nothing, no reving, etc.

After about 4-5 minutes, I turned the car off and took some time to look at the owners manual. It was probably about 10 minutes when I turned the car back on to see what would happen. All the warning lights blinked on as usual and then all went off as usual, so there I sat with no more warrning lights showing and poof I had my accelerator back.

I drove to the dealer which was about 3 miles away and did not experience any further problems. After about 2 hours, I was told they updated the software in the computer but they had NO explanation of what happend and thus certainly did not to fix anything as they were stumped. Apparently none of the warnings registered on the computer.

So here I am with a car running just fine now but I am waiting for the next time I lose the accelerator in perhaps a more dangerous situation. Has anyone experienced anything close to this problem?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I wonder if that module that others are adjusting to get rid of the acceleration lag lost power somehow or the ECU stopped registering input from it until the engine was restarted?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't really know, not much of a technician here. And the folks at the Kia dealership did not have a clue. Maybe it is just a one time glitch and if so fine, but then again maybe if it happens again I will be in a more dangerous situation where I need acceleration. It is not a good feeling.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Don't really know, not much of a technician here. And the folks at the Kia dealership did not have a clue. Maybe it is just a one time glitch and if so fine, but then again maybe if it happens again I will be in a more dangerous situation where I need acceleration. It is not a good feeling.

dunno-
i think i would rather be stalling and if anyone hits me from behind- thats all their fault unless they can prove that i did it on purpose- ie- cut the brake lights off- then slam on the brakes- after all- there is a 'safe following distance rule' for a reason'

vs- engine/tranny running out of control, brakes wont stop my car, and gosh durn it- everyone wants to blame my floor mats......lol

i do have to say-
there are way too many "important" controls that used to be based on a wire attached to a control attached to a response that are now based on 'mysterious' electronic devices.....

cell phones for example- have been proven to F'up land lind/radio comms depending on the set ups of the systems....
now- you got cars w/all of these drive by wire set ups- put 1 or 2 or 3 cell phones sending out all sorts of crazy interference- no telling if your text message might be the one that triggers a bug in the throttle......

i once had to fill in for some one at work- i took my cell phone off my belt- put it up on her desk..........every single time i got a text message- her damn electric stapler would punch out 2 staples.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get your humor, but my vehicle did NOT stall. The engine continued to run and I lost nothing other than not having an accelerator until the vehicle was turned off and back on after a few minutes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Has anyone expereinced this problem? I have a 3 month old Kia Forte EX with the Fuel Economy Package. Until this happened, I could not have been happier with my new Kia.

I was making a 90 degree left turn through an intersection without having stopped, as I straightend up on the northbound road I pressed on the accelerator in order to slide into the right hand lane. I had no accelerator, I pressed it half way down and then all the way down, and repeated, but nothing in response. Fortunately, I had enough speed on the vehicle to gp far enough to pull into a business parking lot about a 100 yards up the road.

It was strange as the car did not loose power, in that I still had the radio and power steering, etc, just no acceleration. As I pulled or rather coasted into the parking area I noticed the following warning lights and yes the car was still running: Check engine light, oil pressure warning, charging system warning and the electronic power steering indicator. While parked with the engine still running, I tried the accelerator again but nothing, no reving, etc.

After about 4-5 minutes, I turned the car off and took some time to look at the owners manual. It was probably about 10 minutes when I turned the car back on to see what would happen. All the warning lights blinked on as usual and then all went off as usual, so there I sat with no more warrning lights showing and poof I had my accelerator back.

I drove to the dealer which was about 3 miles away and did not experience any further problems. After about 2 hours, I was told they updated the software in the computer but they had NO explanation of what happend and thus certainly did not to fix anything as they were stumped. Apparently none of the warnings registered on the computer.

So here I am with a car running just fine now but I am waiting for the next time I lose the accelerator in perhaps a more dangerous situation. Has anyone experienced anything close to this problem?
You have got a taste of what limp mode is. All these new car usually with drive by throttle bodies meaning no throttle cable just electronic wire controling the throttle have this issue if you mod anything to do with the intake system unless tuned. But that's what I experieced in my ol ion red line it always had limp mode due to the cai on hot days. But dunno

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if its the same thing but I have a koup with automatic transmission, anyways I was always experiencing lag when accelerating, for example if I pressed the accelerator half way to gain power, there would always be a 2-3 second lag to speed up, also while comming off from a stop light I would notice the lag when the car transitioned through speeds.

I went to the dealership today because I found a TSB for the shifting delay, after 1 hour the dealership came back saying that particular TSB didn't apply because its a newer manufactured model HOWEVER...they told me they did a TSB regarding cylinder missfires and to drive it around and see if the problem persisted.

Let me tell you that the TSB solved the problem, now I press the gas and it goes, when I step hard on it there is no more delay and the transitions are not noticeable anymore.

So I would believe its one or another. check with your dealership and tell them to flash those tsb's. I would believe its the cylinder missfire since you lose power.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
What if, while you were doing you 90 degree turn at a higher speed, Traction control Kicked it, cut your rpms (happens to me all the time, traction control kicks in and rpms drop completely) the only difference is, your system or ECU froze, and traction control never kicked off. it just disconnected power to the engine all together. And restarting the car reset the system, and everything was operational

·
Registered
973 Posts
could be bad gas like [email protected] said, could be that there was a known issue with the pcm and they fixed it when they did the flash, could be limp mode (which could be caused by the known issue, if there was one)
they have several issues that they don't post tsb's for because they aren't dangerous, but it could be this is a new issue that is about to start popping up
since it was the charging system light, the smart alternator could've goofed up or something , but hopefully it was fixed by the flash

·
Registered
769 Posts
I dont think bad gas would let the engine idle NORMALLY and trigger all the lights he saw, im leaning more towards the frozen ECU theory.. computers freeze up every now and then. and the frozen ECU led to the initiation of the limp mode (basic barebones running mode, with none of the ECUs normal functions, hence the loss of usefulness of your accelerator pedal)

Lol im rambling but it makes sense to be a frozen ECU, because it triggered his check engine light (probably multiple codes due to the loss of ability to read from sensors in the engine), the oil pressure light (oil pressure switch is a sensor), charging system warning (yet another sensor lol), and im pretty sure the power steering has some sort of sensor involved. He kept the use of his power steering and radio because the power steering pump runs off of the serpentine belt and the radio operates independently from the ECU. MAN im good at explaining hahaha

Sorry, im done now

·
Registered
769 Posts
ALSO! If it DOES happen again and you take it back to them, ask to see the codes it threw at you (aka codes that trigger CEL) and for them to explain EACH one to you. if they cant do that then id highly recommend finding another dealership for service. They may have just erased the fault memory to keep from doing warranty work on an ECU replacement ( meaning BIG bucks they have to shell out, not to mention the amount of time that the technician spent on replacing and programming that ECU for your car that he couldve used to do about 5 other jobs)

Dealing with dealerships can be a ***** sometimes and, sad but true, there is quite a bit of dishonesty among service departments sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts