Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was driving home from work on the highway going about 60mph when I noticed the car didn't "feel" right. I downshifted from 6th to 4th to get a little pick me up to pass and noticed that the car didn't want to go above 3000 rpms it seems.

It let me downshift into 3rd gear (going 60mph)and the rpms still didn't go above 3000 rpms.

So I was afraid to pull over for fear it wouldn't start lol. I had a few stop signs and lights on the way home and the car would allow me to shift through the gears but if i attempted to floor it and it wouldn't go above 3000 rpms.

Finally got home turned the car off and tried to turn it on again and it wouldnt start. It just kind of sputtered.

I let it sit for literally a minute and the It started up and drove 100% normally

I did 3 test runs, floored it, drove it hard and it just worked fine.

I'm at a loss. Any thoughts on what it could be?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Limp mode on a manual..???

As a former Dodge owner I'm well versed in limp mode...lol, but I didn't think a manual would allow a limp mode the same way as an auto. Is there a module or seperate programming for a manual ??? Your incident could be a bugger to fix unless YOU figure out when it does it, or finally quits and does it all the time....nothing like intermittent ignition problems. The good news is it's probably only one of about a dozen or so sensors acting up that feed the ECU info....:eek:

PA tip.....Stay away from Moosic (they probably wouldn't find it)
Ditto for Wyoming Valley (you'll go back a dozen times)

Good news: Major in Stroudsburg has some good techs and will even swap parts out of a car in stock in some cases to get you back on the road without a return trip. My son's steering column sensor for the ESC system failed at 2000k and that's what they did to save hime a return trip. Keep us posted on your progress...!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me a long time ago... turned off the car and re-started and everything worked fine... fluke maybe?...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a similar problem the day after I got my Koup. Turned out to be the PCM had an internal short/intermitent ground. 900$ part! Love that warranty. Only bad part was the PCMs are matched by VIN # at least thats what the dealership said, and they had to order one straight from Korea since the car was so new they literally had to get one pulled the assembly line. Anyway they ended up taking it off the only othe SX koup they had in the lot since it could have taken up to a month to get the part. Not sure if that is your problem but my car did similar things, all the symptons are somewhere in a warranty thread here. Have not had any problems since :D.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. It hasn't happened again. and I've driven the car every day multiple times since then. Just going to keep an eye and ear open.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had the car go into limp mode this morning after a cold start. No CEL, not warning lights, nothing. Pulled into the gas station to see if something was leaking or unplugged (that I could see and get too). Nothing visibly wrong with the car. When I turned it back on after about 5-7 minutes it was fine. Going to take it to take it in to see if the engine has a code but not light.

·
Registered
82 Posts
the ECU isnt VIN matched in my 08 rio i blew it :p and they just put one from another rio on the lot in my rio and it worked just fine.... they dont know shit lol

I had a similar problem the day after I got my Koup. Turned out to be the PCM had an internal short/intermitent ground. 900$ part! Love that warranty. Only bad part was the PCMs are matched by VIN # at least thats what the dealership said, and they had to order one straight from Korea since the car was so new they literally had to get one pulled the assembly line. Anyway they ended up taking it off the only othe SX koup they had in the lot since it could have taken up to a month to get the part. Not sure if that is your problem but my car did similar things, all the symptons are somewhere in a warranty thread here. Have not had any problems since :D.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.