Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's love bug season in Florida right now. Anyone else think they are particularly worse right now versus other years? I'm paranoid my paint is going to pit, but not yet. They are hard as hell to remove, even with a recent wax job too. They seem to stick to my forte worse than any other car I've had. Is this just me? I hate this time of year! lol

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
yea, there everywhere!! i recently washed my koup yesterday.. gonna have to drive it through that mess tomorrow. ahh! i think the paint is fine. doesnt feel as smooth though..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, this is one of the worse years. I was driving down veterans and it sounded like it was raining. Was actually the sound of thousands of lovebugs colliding with my car.

Can't see it too good but most of the bugs were blown off but still left their guts behind.

The stock kia window cleaner SUCKS at getting bug guts off the window. It just left a bunch of smears. I had paint protectant applied and the bugs came off with some high pressure spraying. No pitting left behind.

A lot of the older folks say spraying pam on the front will make them come off easily. I'd do it but I want to be sure it wont have any adverse reactions with my paint/sealant.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Wow! Lovebugs Suck! Over here in Pensacola I saw my first pair of them today. They are not bad here yet, we will see if it gets worse. They didn't show here at all last year. Two years ago they were pretty bad.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,825 Posts
It's still a little early for the love bugs in NW Florida. I try to aviod FL Hwy 20 from Bruce to Hwy 231 - the dang things are so thick there they look like a fog. Every square inch on the front end of your car will have 4-6 splattered bugs!

Don't wait at all before washing them off -- as soon as you get home start washing. Their guts will damage the surface of your paint!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know the feeling. They will damage the paint too and they are hard as the devil to get off the car. It's not the Forte, it's all cars. Here in Texas we have them and they will just drive a person "nuts." Even if you get them off the paint, they will embed themselves in the cracks and grooves and you have to dig them out with a toothpick. And they stink; literally.

There is no cure; just expect it and then they will eventually leave and you'll be free of them for another year.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here in ohio they have yet to come out but once they do they will be here all summer.. I have had my car for not even two months and already have a damaged spot due to one.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
it's hard to keep cars new as possible. im like whatever now.. hha

here's my damages: ding repair?

Here in ohio they have yet to come out but once they do they will be here all summer.. I have had my car for not even two months and already have a damaged spot due to one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah, this is one of the worse years. I was driving down veterans and it sounded like it was raining. Was actually the sound of thousands of lovebugs colliding with my car.

Can't see it too good but most of the bugs were blown off but still left their guts behind.

The stock kia window cleaner SUCKS at getting bug guts off the window. It just left a bunch of smears. I had paint protectant applied and the bugs came off with some high pressure spraying. No pitting left behind.

A lot of the older folks say spraying pam on the front will make them come off easily. I'd do it but I want to be sure it wont have any adverse reactions with my paint/sealant.

My car Looked like this earlier today and then I washed and waxed it this morning and then had to hit the freeway and then it looked like that again, and blew them off at the hand car wash. My cousin was with me and he introduced me to this ICE polish. I liked it, but I don't think it goes on thick enough, but it works wonders on the plastic trim pieces for sure.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I found that Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover does wonders on these suckers. You can find it at most Wal-Marts for a couple bucks, lasts a while too.
Bug & Tar Remover Trigger - Turtlewax
And I think it needs to be said that this stuff won't work very well on baked on guts and tar. You'll need a clay bar after about a week of hot sun.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
^ ooo! ill check that out! unfortunately, my bug screen doesnt really work. it stops the bug itself but the acid guts still get on my paint. but no bugs in my radiator though. i also have rain-x applied to my windshield..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dude Im really worried about this. I just got a WRX with the hood scoop and I want to head up to Tampa but Im afraid my intercooler is gonna be totally covered in bug guts!!!

Why doesnt Governor Scott handle the insect invasion that happens every year??!?!

Oh right, he doesnt like spending

·
Registered
427 Posts
I remember driving through Cleweston during love bug season. I stopped at a resturant to eat and I couldnt move without those fucking bugs covering my body. WTF man. hate that shit. Florida is so gross sometimes.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wiki:

his species' reputation as a public nuisance is due not to any bite or sting (it is incapable of either), but to its slightly acidic body chemistry. Because airborne lovebugs can exist in enormous numbers near highways, they die en masse on automobile windshields, hoods, and radiator grills when the vehicles travel at high speeds. If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become dried and extremely difficult to remove. Their body chemistry has a nearly neutral 6.5 pH but may become acidic at 4.25 pH if left on the car for a day.[1] In the past, the acidity of the dead adult body, especially the female's egg masses, often resulted in pits and etches in automotive paint and chrome if not quickly removed.[5] However, advances in automotive paints and protective coatings have reduced this threat significantly. Now the greatest concern is excessive clogging of vehicle radiator air passages with the bodies of the adults, with the reduction of the cooling effect on engines, and the obstruction of windshields when the remains of the adults and egg masses are smeared on the glass.[1]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Wiki:

his species' reputation as a public nuisance is due not to any bite or sting (it is incapable of either), but to its slightly acidic body chemistry. Because airborne lovebugs can exist in enormous numbers near highways, they die en masse on automobile windshields, hoods, and radiator grills when the vehicles travel at high speeds. If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become dried and extremely difficult to remove. Their body chemistry has a nearly neutral 6.5 pH but may become acidic at 4.25 pH if left on the car for a day.[1] In the past, the acidity of the dead adult body, especially the female's egg masses, often resulted in pits and etches in automotive paint and chrome if not quickly removed.[5] However, advances in automotive paints and protective coatings have reduced this threat significantly. Now the greatest concern is excessive clogging of vehicle radiator air passages with the bodies of the adults, with the reduction of the cooling effect on engines, and the obstruction of windshields when the remains of the adults and egg masses are smeared on the glass.[1]
Eww nasty!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Y'all,

Have been trying to remove the love bugs off my 2010 Forte for a few days. They sat for about 4 days before I could get to a place to wash them off. My paint is now ruined...

Don't let these guys sit for any length of time. For what it is worth, they came right off of my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500, with no damage, after sitting for several days. The Kia paint and clearcoat are substandard, in my opinion.

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts