Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Forte EX with the smart key fob. A couple of months ago it chimed a "Low Key Battery" warning when I shut off the car. It didn't do it all of the time, but I looked it up in the manual and replaced the battery.

After a couple of days it chimed again, so I took the battery out and checked it - went all the way to the good side of the meter. Doesn't do it all the time, just sometimes. I called the dealer, and they said they hadn't even heard of the warning. But if I wanted to leave it with them they would try to see if they could duplicate.

I decided to try the other key fob, which usually just hangs on the hook. Guess what? It also chimes from time to time, and the battery tests good.

I'm thinking that this might be the car itself? Any ideas??

Thanks!

-TN

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
A bit strange. Id let the dealer have a look see. Nothing I have seen/heard of before as a issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solution

OK, after 3 trips to the dealer, they replaced BOTH key fobs. I still don't see how both fobs could mysteriously fail at the same time, but <knock on wood> I haven't seen the error light since they were replaced.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is this an issue for any others? My keyfob just started doing that earlier yesterday evening. I am actually awake right now searching for keyfob batteries and was looking up a way to open the fob itself to get at the battery. I was going to utilize my 2nd fob for now but that is strange. I read that the fobs should last for years with no trouble and that a low battery could mean a malfunctioning fob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also having the same problem. When I turn the car off the panel displays low key fob battery. I checked the battery and no problem with that but I replaced it. The problem still continued so I took it to the dealership today, and the service advisor who tried to replicate the problem ( not very hard I believe )
and could not get it to replicate. I got home turn the car off and got the warning. I am now wondering if I should try a different dealership as the service was terrible at the one I went to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
me too!

Hi, so did a search because same issue of low battery warning light comes on and off after replacing the 2 key fobs batteries (this happened close to a year after purchasing the car so I just thought it was the battery, it made sense to me. I'm wondering now if it the fobs itself because of your experience. It is strange it's both fobs?! The dealership that is 45 minutes away told me it could be the car battery itself. I'm no technician, but is it strange a bad car battery would set off just that warning light?
I'm taking it to another Kia dealership because I also wasn't happy with the service where I bought my car and yes the 45 minute travel factor is irksome.
Was your problem resolved?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
me too!

Hi, so did a search because same issue of low battery warning light comes on and off after replacing the 2 key fobs batteries (this happened close to a year after purchasing the car so I just thought it was the battery, it made sense to me. I'm wondering now if it the fobs itself because of your experience. It is strange it's both fobs?! The dealership that is 45 minutes away told me it could be the car battery itself. I'm no technician, but is it strange a bad car battery would set off just that warning light?
I'm taking it to another Kia dealership because I also wasn't happy with the service where I bought my car and yes the 45 minute travel factor is irksome.
Was your problem resolved?
Thanks!

I have a 2018 kia forte 5 and my car has been popping up the low key battery light since I bought it a year ago and the dealership has no clue what is wrong with it. Has anyone on this post actually had the problem fixed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too. I have a brand new 2021 Seltos that I bought 3 weeks ago. Last week it started showing the low key battery warning, so I took it straight back to the dealer. They said they had never heard of the issue before but they replaced batteries in both key fobs. It seemed to fix the problem, but 2 days later the alert started showing again every time I turned the car off. Took it back to the dealer today, and they have no idea what the issue is, but did a bit of research and found out it's (obviously) an existing issue with Kia. I thought maybe it was a recent issue, but seeing these posts dating back to 2015 makes me rather annoyed that Kia still hasn't fixed the problem!!🤬

1 - 8 of 8 Posts