Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got lowering springs or coilovers on their koup or sedan yet? Post pics and details if you do. Also anyone have a roof rack installed, and which one?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Lowered cars are a crime against nature in my neck of the woods... we call them 'snow plows'. Maybe wait 'till the sun takes away all this white stuff everywhere. And the roof rack for a Forte is likely as fugly as the one for the Rio, and who would want that on their car? Eww.

I debated springs for mine, but with the 17's I think it fills the wheel wells nicely, and has a taut enough ride without needing stiffening or gap reduction. Quite honestly I think Kia did 'just right' with it. Maybe my opinion will change once my summer wheels are installed, but until then, stock is just dandy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Koup imo has to be lowered to look right , it just sits too frickin high . The sedan though doesn't really matter , with the 17's it looks ok the way it is . If you want the 4 door to look lower put a ground effects package on it like the Corolla S . If you are into autocross or SCCA racing however then that's a whole different ball game .

·
Registered
320 Posts
Eibach makes a set of lowering springs for the Koup. 1.2" drop in the front and 1" drop out back. I like my Koup the way it sits, but might change my mind at some point.

There's a thread hear about a Koup SXR (something along the lines of "Toronto show ...") that is running the Eibach springs that I'm talking about. It looks great, but it also has a different ground effects kit installed and 18" wheels.

Eibach lists the part number on their site, but no on-line retailers list them...the last time I checked (been a week or so). I'm sure with a call to summit or jeggs with the part number, you should be able to have a set of springs in the mail pretty soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lowered cars are a crime against nature in my neck of the woods... we call them 'snow plows'.
Well coming from the VW community low means you are dragging the sub frame so I don't exactly agree. When I lived in Calgary and now in Thunder Bay my 98 Jetta was tucking 17" and would drag over speed bumps. That, I admit is too low but I would love to see some pics of the Forte meeting in the middle. I think the Eibachs' at 1.2" would probably be just right. As for the roof rack again in the VW world the more shit you can put on a roof rack the cooler it is. I am thinking a Thule with the fairing for my bikes and snowboards.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Roof rack ? Buy a minivan or pickup to haul your stuff or a hide-away hitch and drag a trailer . I can see it now , a jacked up Donk Koup on 22's with two mountain bikes bungied to the roof .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you not read the part about lowering? I own a minivan and a pickup but I don't need them to take my bike down the street to the dirt jumps or my snowboard to the local hill.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did you not read the part about lowering? I own a minivan and a pickup but I don't need them to take my bike down the street to the dirt jumps or my snowboard to the local hill.
Yep , i did read the part about lowering and i'm with you completely . You sort of lost me though with the Thule roof rack idea on a slammed Koup with a fairing for the bikes and snowboards . The Rondo or Soul would be perfect for that but the Koup ? Thats all i meant .

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Well coming from the VW community low means you are dragging the sub frame so I don't exactly agree. ....
Amen to that :D

I miss my old golf. :(

For my self I'm waiting for H&R springs. Soon to be available, I hope......

·
Registered
585 Posts
Lowered cars are a crime against nature in my neck of the woods... we call them 'snow plows'. Maybe wait 'till the sun takes away all this white stuff everywhere. And the roof rack for a Forte is likely as fugly as the one for the Rio, and who would want that on their car? Eww.

I debated springs for mine, but with the 17's I think it fills the wheel wells nicely, and has a taut enough ride without needing stiffening or gap reduction. Quite honestly I think Kia did 'just right' with it. Maybe my opinion will change once my summer wheels are installed, but until then, stock is just dandy.
I agree! The koup sits perfect as it is. Lowering it will NOT improve it in any way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I guess I should have clarrified that I actually have a SX sedan not coupe/koup. The reason I asked for pics of the koup or sedan is because they both use the same springs to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Koup SX-R can you provide Forte's stock spring rates & stock damping rates?

I tried twice with KIA Canada...to no avail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eibach has a listing on there website that is the same for both cars I believe. It might be better from what I have heard for the koup to go to softer spring closer to the sedan as I have heard many reviewers say that the sedan rides good but the koup is too harsh. Anyway 1.3" is about what I would be wanting for my car but although you preserve warranty by buying from Kia, I doubt I will feel comfortable paying what they are asking plus they will likely want to install it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, im new to this forum; id like to know if anyone got lowering springs on a Koup and possibly a DIY on the install. I just ordered B & G Springs and im debating wheter to install myself or find a shop to do it :)

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I plan on having a shop do the work when I lower my Koup just because I'm not savvy when it comes to that kind of thing and they'll back it with a warranty.

MaxD, H&R does have a spring kit available right now. It's a 1.3 in drop in the front and a 1.2 in drop in the rear. They have applications for both the Koup and Sedan with part numbers 52215-2 and 52215 respectively. They have a suggested retail price of $329.00.

Like someone stated earlier, Eibach has a spring kit also which is a 1.2 in drop in the front and a 1.0 in drop in the rear. The website only lists an application for the Koup but not the Sedan. The part number on that is 4617.140 and they don't list a suggested retail price.

I'm still undecided on which springs I'm gonna use. I'll figure it out once I figure out if I'm gonna get my TSW wheels in 17's or 18's. Probably 18's in which case I'll go with the Eibachs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having done a coilover swap and a sport spring swap on my old Jetta I can say that this is very easy to do as long as you have the right tools. You'll need some spring compressors, a good jack and jack stands, ratchet and sockets, torque wrench and an impact driver would be helpful. The rear should be a matter of jacking the back of the car up, placing on jack stands with the rear beam hanging and just use the spring compressors to compress and remove the springs. compress new ones and insert. done. THe front is tougher but again compress springs, loosen all bolts, remove strut assembly. Pull spring out. Compress new spring, reassemble strut assembly, put back in car. Torque all bolts, get an alignment. That's right go straight to the garage and get an alignment. If you need a pictorial walk through there are a lot of cars with a similar suspension. MK4 golf and jetta, search that at the VWvortex.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey everyone,

Just had the Eibach springs (part #4617.140) installed on my Bright Silver Koup SX, along with Ultra Racing ( Forte/Koupe 2009 | Ultra Racing Canada ) front upper tower strut bar, both the front lower 2-point and 4-point bars, the rear lower bar and the rear anti-sway bar. Also mounted the ASA AR-1s 18x7.5 w 215/40-18s BF-Goodrich Comp-TA KDW. (Would love to include pics but somehow my laptop has decided to refuse 'communicating' with my digital camera. Pics will follw as soon as I solve this minor (?) gitch. (LAPTOP PROBLEM SOLVED, PICS LOADED)As an aside, I just don't understand how Bill Gates got so obscenely rich selling such crap... but I digress...). Also installed the Shark racing lip spoiler and the Visual Garage shark-fin antenna.

The Eibach kit drops the car 1.2" front and 1.0" rear; I would have prefered the H&R's 1.5" front/1.2" rear but I just couldn't wait till the middle of June for the H&R springs to become available up here in Canada. The very small visual difference between Eibach's and H&R's would only be noticable if two cars equiped with one of each would be sitting next to each other.

Visually, the result is absolutely stunning! I've had the car for almost two months now and had been getting a lot of compliments on how the car looks but now it is downright embarassing... heads snap wherever I go, young kids in dressed-up Civic SI's chase me down to get a better look at the car and whenever I park just in front of the door of whatever boutique/shop/business I need to go to, guys young and not so young come out to check out the car. A common comment here in Montréal is "yé beau en crisse!!" (I'll let the Yanks figure out what that means...:)) I also have an '07 BMW 335i coupe with Beyern Mesh 19" wheels which I happen to think looks very nice and that car has never, never gotten this much attention.

Now for the important part: namely how it drives.

The stock 'sport suspension' set-up is fine for 5/10ths cornering; mild understeer and 'reasonably' responsive steering. The absence of rear anti-sway bar is mildly noticeable on quick left-right transitions; you notice the rear tires hooking up just a heartbeat after the front which requires a small steering correction to maintain the line. When you push harder, the front/rear disconnect gets much more pronounced, to the point that it almost feels like the rear is going to transition to oversteer but it never gets there because the fronts have nearly given up and you need a large increase in steering input to counteract the severe understeer once the chassis settles down.

Now, the car is very tight.

I tested the suspension upgrades one at a time, starting with the frame braces, then the springs, then the rear sway-bar and finally the 18' wheels'n tires.

The frame braces speed-up steering response noticeably and actually makes the car feel better built thru bumps (less chassis flex=less noise transmitted inside when hitting bumps).

The springs firm things up very nicely without being harsh, greatly reduce squat/dive and substantially reduce the front/rear disconnect. I suspect that the springs without the frame bracing would result in an increase in impact harshness though I don't think it would be objectionable if your primary goal is improved handling. If you just want the car to look cool :cool: cruising the Taco Bell lot, then, yeah, you'll probably think it's a little hard...:p

The rear anti-sway bar completely takes care of the front/rear disconnect and allow the front tires to get much more traction during cornering, specially under acceleration.

Finally, the 215/40 18inchers raise traction to a whole new level. The car hangs on so much better before understeer reappears but then, you're at 8.5/10 with an ear-to-ear grin on your face...:D

4-wheel alignement was required; they installed camber bolts up front to bring it back within specs and I had them adjust the toe-in to the maximum positive value within the OEM specified range for that little bit of extra quickness to bite on initial turn-in :) NB: Don't consider not getting the car's alignment checked after any suspension work; it'll eat up your front tires in no time...:mad:

The feeling is, it's a completely different car!

Remembering that the stock 'sport' suspension front anti-sway bar was designed and calibrated without a rear anti-sway bar, the addition of an aftermarket rear bar does shift the chassis's total roll stiffness towards the rear somewhat; I'm hoping someone will soon develop and bring to market a stiffer front bar wich will make the car as neutral and balanced as a front-driver can be. Before the 335i, I drove a full kit '03 John Cooper Works Mini S; on dry, public roads, it was nearly impossible to make the car understeer and it was actually easy to set up oversteer when cornering which is quite rare for FWD cars.

Like I said, pictures as soon as I can.

Eibach Springs $395 tx incl.

Ultra Racing frame braces and anti-sway bar $917 shipping+tx incl

Installation : 3 hours frame braces, 3 hours spring swap, 1 hour painting brake calipers high gloss black $590 tx incl

ASA AR-1 18x7.5 w BF-Goodrich Comp-TA KDW 215/40-18 $1,870 shipping, tx+import duties incl at Tirerack.com

Alignement 2.9 hrs at the Kia dealership $380 (I know, it sounds like I got gouged but the car was on the machine 3 times + camber bolts were $41 each, 2 req'd)

Total cost $4,152 CDN

IF you value good handling and you drove this car, you'd definitely say it was worth it...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.