Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car was delievered with 300 miles on it. Had a flat on the side of US-10 between San Antonio and Houston. My husband mentioned that it was pulling to the left. A few seconds later another driver pointed for us to pull over. My husband looked at the gages and saw the ! for low tire pressure. Traffic was whizzing by at around 80-85 mph, typical country highway driving, but it was very thick and a busy afternoon with stout pickup trucks and large trailers. I'm so glad he was there with me (otherwise I may have broken a nail... or gotten killed on the side of the road). We pulled up slowly a quarter mile and pulled over into the median of the on-ramp.

We then talked about the plan of action. We discussed the option of calling roadside assistance, but that's not his style. He made the point that we would wait an hour and 20 minutes for road side assistance, or he can put on the donut in 4 minutes. Fortunately he is skilled in this area. I swear when the need comes to rotate tires he pretends like hes on a nascar pit crew.

At first he was going to put the donut on the drivers rear and the rear on the drivers front. But when semis start rumbling by you while you're fiddling with a KIA oem screw-jack, you are quickly persuaded otherwise. While I was waiting for my husband to change the tire, I called Grandma and Grandpa to let them know we'd be a few minutes late. Then I called Jerry, my salesman, and left a message to let him know that we were on the side of the road and my husband would be coming in to see him tomorrow morning... y'know, just to give him the heads up. :)

We got to Grandma and Grandpas, and it was the usual it takes 4 guys to change a tire and there are at least 3 beers involved. I was one of the guys drinking beer. ;) Checked the tire thoroughly, no nails, screws, cracks, dry rot, stripping, anything. Brand f*'ing new tires. 565 miles total on the car. We are currently of the opinion that the valve stem leaks.

I received a return voicemail from salesman Jerry with the name of the service manager and his phone number. Hopefully this will be a quick resolution. My down payment actually hit my bank yesterday.

Ok, so we weren't really stranded and the donut did the job for which it was intended, but I had a good cry over this and I am pissed enough to kick puppies over it. And I know it's not the dealerships fault. I laughed and cried a lot at the same time today.

I'll be driving the 01 Grand Am GT to work tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
dang im sorry to hear that! when i first read the title i thought your engine went to shat or something crazy happened lol but nevertheless, glad everyone is ok and everything is resolved

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
At least it was your tire and not your flex pipe LOL (2nd replacement )

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Oooo
You had me going here I thought OOOHHHH KNOWWW NOW WHAT!:!:!:!

but yeah sorry you had a flat, glad to hear Spare tire worked alright and you got home :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
OMG! I'm glad to hear that you're okay! But sucks about the tire though! Glad to see another texan though!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I noticed a flat when I was at work and debated changing the tire myself or calling roadside assistance - haven't gotten around to stashing actual tools in the trunk so I called and they sent out the local motor association (AMA) to fix it. Arrived within 30 mins, took the flat off, put the donut on, checked the pressure, and sent me on my way.

I'm happy with the service apart from the fact that he did NOT tighten the lug nuts in a star pattern... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. I know these roadside guys aren't mechanics but come on. He said I was his 8th flat of the day too.

Guess I'm whipping out the breaker bar and torque wrench tonight.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally forgot to follow-up on this thread... a pinhole was found in the tire and therefore it was not covered under warranty.

Then I tried to get a replacement and was told that the tires were on a 2 month national backorder. So I called my husband and told him to deal with it... he found a guy in California with 14 of them and had one shipped to us 2 days later, then had to wait a 3rd day to have it installed. $275 later I was able to get my week old new car back on the road. It seems that no matter what I do, new cars or old, I have to pay for unplanned catastrophic maintenance. At least I could plan ahead for hoses, injectors, or brakes going bad; it's never something cheap and easy.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I totally forgot to follow-up on this thread... a pinhole was found in the tire and therefore it was not covered under warranty.

Then I tried to get a replacement and was told that the tires were on a 2 month national backorder. So I called my husband and told him to deal with it... he found a guy in California with 14 of them and had one shipped to us 2 days later, then had to wait a 3rd day to have it installed. $275 later I was able to get my week old new car back on the road. It seems that no matter what I do, new cars or old, I have to pay for unplanned catastrophic maintenance. At least I could plan ahead for hoses, injectors, or brakes going bad; it's never something cheap and easy.
It's like when they open up the warranty repair manual, it says this for every job:

Step 1: Find a way to avoid covering any and all issues.
Step 2: If you cannot avoid covering the issue, do a shoddy job and show poor attitude in order to make the customer think twice before trying to use there warranty.

·
Registered
769 Posts
It's like when they open up the warranty repair manual, it says this for every job:

Step 2: If you cannot avoid covering the issue, do a shoddy job and show poor attitude in order to make the customer think twice before trying to use there warranty.
I TOTALLY agree with what happens on step 2... HOLY CRAP! working in dealerships has taught me ONE thing about techs.. they dont get paid **** for warranty work so therefore they dont give a crap about it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Wow! I just recently had a similiar experience. Albeit, I'm at the 27,000 mile mark before my first flat, but it went with a bang...literally. Hit a pothole (or as I like to call them, California's little treasures), that was literally 6 inches deep by about 2 feet long. Needless to say, the stock Goodyears were not made for that sort of action. My front passenger tire let me know this by blowing out the sidewall. Luckily it happened just before getting on the 5 freeway in SoCal (kinda busy). Still had me so angry I was ready to sue the Republic of California, or anyone around. haha I was on my way after slapping on the spare donut and an angry Facebook status update. :)

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

1. Hilarious.
2. Sad.
3. True.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts