Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't really know anything about design and hubbub but those look pretty sweet!

·
Registered
519 Posts
i think TK said that the stock headers were pretty good and thats why they havent wasted time on making them

·
Registered
318 Posts
they look really cool... maybe i might get them when i have the money. ha!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Why not just port our stock headers, probably pick up 5-10 whp. I remember when I ported my celica gt-s header I picked up a shit load.

How do you port a header? and what is it exactly? :p

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
crock89 has the header that he unbolted visible in his video and it looks similar to this one just not as shiny. I don't see getting a shitload of extra performance upgrading this part. Not on our 4 bangers anyway.

·
Registered
289 Posts
First off you can't port a header. You can port and polish your head. The cylinder head sits on top of the block and houses the valves and cams. "Porting" or port matching refers to enlarging the size of the exhaust port to match the size of a header or headers in a 6 or 8 Cylinder applications. You can also polish those journals as well to lower the drag on the exhaust and making it more efficient to exit the cylinder. It is also popular to port but not polish the intake side of the head to allow for more air to enter the combustion chamber. The reason you don’t want to polish this area is you want the air molecules to be disturbed and in not uniform to mix better with fuel in the cylinder head. IMO!!!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
How do you port a header? and what is it exactly? :p
DIY Porting Exhaust Manifolds | eHow.com

It's not as simple as a cold air intake install, but it can give you just as much horsepower/torque as a cold air intake. I ported/polished my celica gt-s header and picked up a lot of power, especially down low where it needed it the most.

If I ever get around to doing it to my Forte, I'll be sure to take pics and write a how-to.

littlejake: Porting headers has been around since the early 50s, it has been proven time and time again to gain power.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f154/ported-stock-header-24259/index3.html#post429545

That shows a back-to-back dyno run before/after porting the stock header. The gains differ wildly depending on the car/engine, but usually it's around 5whp.

2,213 Posts
isnt the 2.4 already a ported version of the 2.0....

ported pretty much means make the hole thingy, where the piston thingy slides in and out of bigger! so youre getting more space where fuel and air meet to cause more explosion to make that engine thingy run faster! lmao

·
Registered
289 Posts
and porting and polishing your head is FREE horsepower. lots of it with a cold air intake of some sort and an aftermarket header. A lightened flywheel doesn't hurt any either!!!!!!

2,213 Posts
First off you can't port a header. You can port and polish your head. The cylinder head sits on top of the block and houses the valves and cams. "Porting" or port matching refers to enlarging the size of the exhaust port to match the size of a header or headers in a 6 or 8 Cylinder applications. You can also polish those journals as well to lower the drag on the exhaust and making it more efficient to exit the cylinder. It is also popular to port but not polish the intake side of the head to allow for more air to enter the combustion chamber. The reason you don’t want to polish this area is you want the air molecules to be disturbed and in not uniform to mix better with fuel in the cylinder head. IMO!!!!!

thats what i said!!! lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ryude....I agree with you but for us the head is going to need to have material removed after an aftermarket header is installed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts