Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 lx with manual transmission and was driving to the store when the low oil light came on. Stopped to check it out and oil was sprayed all over the engine compartment. I was still close to home and at a station that had oil for sale, so I grabbed 4 quarts and got back home to inspect what the issue was. I have sprayed down the engine with degreaser to clean it all off to see. Oil filter and drain plug are there and tight. Can't imagine it would be a pan gasket as it was getting on the belt to be thrown all over the engine the way it was. Does anyone know these cars well enough to help me locate the issue? I am starting to think it may either be a main seal but before I go ripping into the car that far Figured I would check and see if anyone else has an opinion or seen/dealt with something similar. Car has 78k miles and hasn't had any issues with leaks in the past. Thanks in advance for any help.

UPDATE: It looks like I am getting a pretty steady drip coming off the oil filter on the pan side. So looks like most likely to be oil pump leaking if that sounds right.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Helping you diagnose an oil leak through this computer is impossible!!!

You sure it's not the oil filter itself that is leaking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, I know it's pretty much impossible without seeing in person. Just was more posting to see if anyone had knowledge of common issues. I can try to replace the filter and see if that helps, but it was just replaced about a month and 1000 miles ago. It seems the leak is coming from the part that the oil filter screws into. Appreciate the reply though, and will start ripping into it and see what I find

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, an oil filter costs little money, so why not try it and replace it with an OEM filter, see what happens.

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
What brand of oil filter?
Bought my Wife's Optima used. Whoever owned it put a Mopar filter on it - it did not fit right and was leaking. I only use Kia filters on my Kias!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice and such quick responses. OEM filter on order, crossing my fingers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts