Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be a dumb question, but I thought I'd ask here before I asked my dealer. I have a base model with manual windows and manual door locks, meaning I do not have keyless entry controls or electronic buttons for the door locks. In my owners manual it says:

Operating door locks from out- side the vehicle
• Turn the key toward the rear of the vehicle to unlock and toward the front of the vehicle to lock.
• If you lock/unlock the door with a key, all vehicle doors will lock/unlock auto- matically.
• From the driver’s door, turn the key to the left once to unlock the door and once more within 4 seconds to unlock all doors.
• Doors can also be locked and unlocked with the transmitter key (or smart key). (if equipped)
• Oncethedoorsareunlocked,theymay be opened by pulling the door handle.
• When closing the door, push the door by hand. Make sure the doors are closed securely.

So based on that, it makes it sound as if even if I have manual door locks, I should still be able to lock and unlock all doors with my key. The manual doesn't state this feature isn't available with manual door locks or is only available with keyless entry. When I tried this with my car nothing happened. If anyone else has tried this or could tell me if I should or should not have this feature, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's an LX. Same as the Canada LX model I'm assuming. The only additional feature was the $1500 convenience package which gave me A/C and 60/40 rear fold down seats.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sounds like you likely have a fuse issue. Yes, your doors should all operate as you described, so it would appear that you've got an issue. Look under the dash at the fuse box, and look for "DR LOCK". If you have a fuse, make sure it's good. If there is no fuse there, then you apparently do NOT have the feature... or someone stole your fuse...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, there is a fuse. It's a pretty tight squeeze to get to it. Is there a tool that I should use to pull it out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KiaTech, I was able to pull the fuse out with tweezers. It was yellow with a 20 on it. Everything appears to be ok with it. It doesn't appear to be blown at all. The car was manufactured 04/09, so It would have been one of the first off the line I'm guessing. If it's not the fuse, what else can I check. Since the fuse was there, can you then say without a doubt that I'm supposed to have the feature? Just want to make sure before I contact the dealer for service.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called Kia customer service about it. First they thought I should have it then they said, no probably not. If the car isn't supposed to have it, why would there be a fuse then was my question. He really didn't have an answer for that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If there's a fuse, then you should have it. My information is only valid in Canada, and we list the "power door locks with two-turn locking" as a standard feature on all LX models (keyless is standard on all other trims). I would hope the US would have the same, but there is no guarantee. Your dealer will be able to tell you for sure, based on your VIN. do you have the window sticker your car came with? It'll be listed on there, as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll definitely bring it up when I have my first service. Unfortunately I don't think I have the window sticker. I'd be surprised if the model in Canada would be that much different than the US. I gave the rep. that I spoke to over the phone my VIN #, but it didn't appear he could tell 100% from it whether I had it or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Besides the fuse, is there a piece of hardware in the door or somewhere else that would be easy to get to that I could look for that would confirm whether I have it or not? There as to be some kind of motor or something to make the locks move.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you have power locks, you should have it, regadless of whether you have keyless entry. I have an EX with keyless, but this works as well. Turning the key once unlocks driver's door. Turning it again unlocks all doors.

Keep in mind that the base model in Canada has power locks, so this only applies if your model does as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As stated in my first message, I have manual locks, there are no buttons on the inside doors of my car to lock or unlock. Just the manual ones by the door handle, yet, I have a fuse in my fuse box for DR Lock as KiaTech asked me to look for. Doesn't make too much sense to have a fuse for something that doesn't exist I would think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've also noticed that it doesn't appear as if I have a EcoMinder fuel efficiency monitor or if I do, I'm not seeing it. According to Kia's web site, it is standard on all models.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'll definitely bring it up when I have my first service. Unfortunately I don't think I have the window sticker. I'd be surprised if the model in Canada would be that much different than the US. I gave the rep. that I spoke to over the phone my VIN #, but it didn't appear he could tell 100% from it whether I had it or not.
are different and mooore expensive than the us market for the same model...:mad:

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is your car a manual or automatic? Only autos have the ECO light.

The only way you could tell if the hardware is actually there is to remove the inner door cover, the window, and the window crank mechanism and see if there is a phyiscal motor on the door latch itself. A whole lot of work...

The DR LOCK fuse only operates the locks (and sunroof controls when equipped) so it's not like it runs a whole bunch of things and is there for any other reason. Kia doesn't usually put things into cars without them needing it - that just drives up costs and defeats the purpose of being a Kia. I could be wrong, but if I had your car in my shop, I'd be checking it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going by the US site. Is this a Canadian specific forum? I guess if you're getting all that standard, that would be why your models cost more then.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not Canadian specific, just a lot of us on here ;)

And the Canadian model 'costs more' for a whole bunch of reasons - the biggest being the dollar conversions, shipping costs, and yes - a higher level of standard equipment. On average, list prices for Fortes are roughly $2,000 USD higher for us up here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts