Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 6 speed tranny for my 2020 Forte GT. Does anybody know where I can look? I've tried google and wording the search differently. The only manual transmissions I can find are for the 2.0 engine. Furthermore, in case someone is parting out their GT or knows of a compatible transmission I would be greatly appreciative. 馃檹

Registered
If you wanted a manual, why didn鈥檛 you buy one? I don鈥檛 understand the need to swap a transmission in a brand new car.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
If you wanted a manual, why didn鈥檛 you buy one? I don鈥檛 understand the need to swap a transmission in a brand new car.
Well if you must know, I've already avoided the warranty by modding it so there goes my trade-in. I figured might as well send it all the way home and give her the old gender swap.

Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
Im not sure if the cost would be worth it, or it might not even be possible because as you stated, the only engines that come paired to a manual are the 2 liters (im not sure if the bolt patterns are the same). Unless you can do this your self, its going to cost more in labor alone than the cost of souring the tranny.

Edit: I have since been made aware the GTs come with manual as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Well the GTs are 1.6t and they come in both manual and DCT so its definitely possible. The cost wont be so bad since I work in a shop and we can do the swap there. I just need a source to buy one lol I dont really want to find one at a junkyard, but that may be my only option for the next couple years.

Registered
GT.Tuna do you know that these cars have computers that control engine and transmission functions? You can't simply pull out an automatic tranny and replace it with a manual transmission in this car - obviously physically you can - but the computers would cause problems. The engine control module and transmission control modules (and body control modules too!) work with each other so you'd have to replace all these!

Registered
2019 Kia Cerato/Forte GT Hatch
The engine control module and transmission control modules (and body control modules too!) work with each other so you'd have to replace all these!
And have the car keys reprogrammed to the new ECU/pray the replacement ECU comes with correctly-coded keys

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
GT.Tuna do you know that these cars have computers that control engine and transmission functions? You can't simply pull out an automatic tranny and replace it with a manual transmission in this car - obviously physically you can - but the computers would cause problems. The engine control module and transmission control modules (and body control modules too!) work with each other so you'd have to replace all these!
Cool, good to know man, this is why i came here lol all good feedback 馃憣馃徏

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just curious what mods did you perform that voided your warranty and makes the car not able to be traded in?
Oh well I can definitely trade it in but obviously the value of my car will be lower than a new one. And I've already personalized it too much lol I'd rather not start over. I guess I'll just pay kia out of pocket for any repairs to the DCT if it ever comes to it and just buy a used project car (clearly something with a manual transmission next time)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts