Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to change the tranny fluid in my Koup (just hit the 30,000 mile mark). I've done alot of research online as to different brands and their respective pro's and con's. What I haven't done is to ask the collective minds of the ForteForum group! :)

So far the top 3 brands that seem to get the best reviews are (in no specific order) Redline, Amsoil and Royal Purple. Now our Koups specify SAE75W-85, which means literally nothing to me as I've never ventured beyond the world of motor oil when it comes to vehicle lubricants. It seems pretty hard to find that exact weight, but I've found several that were close. So I guess my biggest question is, can the weight of the oil vary slightly as with engine oil? IE heavier weight in summer, lighter weight in winter kind of thing? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
318 Posts
you have trouble finding that?? its everywhere around me lol and i would assume you could use different weights for summer and winter but the closer you get it to what it need by the book the better off you will be.. thats just me lol. run what you want or is readily available

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I can find everything BUT that exact weight. It's weird. They have 75W-90, 75W-140, etc., but not that exact one. So going with something a little lighter isn't going to F up the internals? Basically I want to put a synthetic in to replace the stock stuff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I jussstt put 75W90 RP in mine. It hasn't been a week yet so I can't give an evaluation.

Pleaseeeee post a picture of your magnetic trans drain plug and any metal it collected, especially since you are at 30K. I found an unexpected amount on mine at 13K km's, and I would like to see comparisons. Thanks!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be MORE than happy to do that for you....if I can locate the fill plug on this damn thing. lol Anyone can help on that? I found the drain plug with no problem (it helped its the only bolt on the bottom of the tranny).

I also got RP 75W90, so I'm hoping your happy with it so far.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The fill plug is on the trans on the front side of the car. Basically follow a straight line up from the drain plug up to the front of the car and there will be a single 17mm bolt hanging out in the open.

Pull the fill plug first to avoid burping when the drain plug is taken out. On ramps none leaked out on me, but be ready for a slight dribble just in case.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn I love this forum! haha I was completely missing it. I'm gonna pull the splash guard right there just to give me more room. Luckily I have Sam Adams Cherry Wheat to keep calm during this...

I'll post pics as soon as I pull that sucker.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeaahhh, forgot about mentioning the splash guard. If you need to be calm, drink one before you attempt to sit there and slowly feed the trans fluid upside down without dumping it. Hahahh

** I put a 4'' piece of 1/4'' ID hose onto the nipple spout of the Royal Purple bottle to help too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just got done. Not as much of a pain in the ass as I thought it would be. My buddy Sam Adams definitely helped though! haha My drain plug definitely had some shavings on it and the fluid is a nasty dark color, nothing like the purple goodness that went back in.

Here's what the plug looked like coming out:

And all clean(for reference):

·
Registered
585 Posts
The time has come to change the tranny fluid in my Koup (just hit the 30,000 mile mark). I've done alot of research online as to different brands and their respective pro's and con's. What I haven't done is to ask the collective minds of the ForteForum group! :)

Why not just go to Kia and get the correct factory spec oil - no more fuss and research. The factory spec has served you well - why even consider changing it?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No sense in paying ridiculous labor fees for such a simple task. Plus the cost of their factory stuff would cost more than something aftermarket that would provide superior protection and performance. And I know it's all done right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The drain plug looks similar to mine, taken from 13,500kms. So I guess there isn't much wear after the break in if you did yours at 30K miles.

75W85 is hard to find to. I am satisfied with going to 75W90, with Royal Purple, even though I have heard mixed reviews on it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen mixed reviews as well, but way more good reviews than bad. Plus it was more readily available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.