Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you have experienced the "popping" noise when you shift, there's a TSB out for it that should fix the problem:

TSB#: KT2010012902

This bulletin provides information related to some 2010MY Forte Sedan and Koup vehicles with 2.0L engines equipped with manual transaxles and no cruise control. Some vehicles may experience a pop noise during the 2-3 shift. At times it may produce a pop noise around 3000 rpm during the shift depending on customer driving style.
To correct this condition, the ECM should be reprogrammed using the GDS download as described in this bulletin.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do have cruise control and have experienced this, so I will be talking to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sounds like a backfire, which is hilarious! I was driving it, not even very forcefully , shift to 3rd and "POP!", and then car hiccuped, and gingerly sauntered on as if nothing had happened. Nice! I wonder what actually makes the noise?! It sounds like "not good things" happening!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same issue. I really thought it was more of a back fire than a pop, but it definitely sounds like what's happening to mine.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I just had this TSB done today because I was getting very occasional loud popping during aggressive shifting around 3k rpm. So far I have heard nothing. Took them around 30 minutes to do it while I got them to change my oil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is it possible that the "pop" could sound like a "clunk" to others? I have a 2.4l w/ cc and occasionally I get a clunk from 2-3.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Definately a pop, almost like a backfire but muffled by the intake system. The first TSB didn't fix the issue for me but it may have lessened it somewhat. I am going to try and bring it in during my Christmas days off if the dealer isn't closed the whole time. The second TSB that was released around May 2010 might fix it. Haven't heard of any other popping noise fix TSB after that.

The pop noise was much more audible with the TK CAI on and more muffled now with the stock intake (winter season switch). I notice the issue more with stock on now though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was experiencing this and got the tsb done. Still hear the pop though... I think its an air/fuel ratio thing. Oh well I don't really care because hey if it's going to break, its gonna happen before 100k with that noise. And bam! New motor! So it's pretty much an invite to a new car in a couple years for FREEEEEEE! :).... unless it breaks at 100001... then i'll be pissed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts