Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been trying to figure out how to make the DOHC motor cover loook like metal to match the CAI and front strut bar so i went and bought some sandable, heat resistant primer and some aluminum spray paint, also heat resistant. it didnt turn out the way i had wanted and pretty much just looked like i sprayed it grey. no shine or gloss look to it. so i re-sanded it and primed it and painted it with chrome spray paint, also heat resistant. it came out a lot better BUT still not what i want. does anybody know of a internet site or a regular store that can make a cover from metal or whatever they use? i really think it'll bring life to the engine bay visually and im really wanting to do it but i just cant seem to find anywhere. here is a pic of the chrome paint

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i plan on painting the DOHC 16V and the little knobs black tomorrow after work and then clear coating it couple times.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Pretty sure you can't do that to plastic....

·
Registered
48 Posts
what kind of places do that? or is it something i could do... i doubt i have the necessary tools
they have powdercoating shops around town.
when i lived in san antonio i was gonna get some work done by alamo powdercoating.
you can also buy a diy kit at places like harbor freight.
but if its plastic i dont think you can get it powder coated.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Aidensgrand - Yes you can powder coat plastic. Not sure if all plastics can. Ask youre local shops if they can, or know of a shop that can Or a shop that dips.

2nd option - remove the plastic cover & refinish the valve cover.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
You CAN powdercoat any plastic....... as long as the plastic can withstand the process! (heat mostly).

ForteFan, you just have to pull it off!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was under the impression that powder-coating something they negatively charged the item being charged and put positively charged paint particles in the air, thus clinging them together then baking it to make it set in......

·
Registered
165 Posts
ehh, i was kindof right

What is powder coating?

Powder coating is by far the youngest of the surface finishing techniques in common use today. It was first used in Australia about 1967.
Powder coating is the technique of applying dry paint to a part. The final cured coating is the same as a 2-pack wet paint. In normal wet painting such as house paints, the solids are in suspension in a liquid carrier, which must evaporate before the solid paint coating is produced.
In powder coating, the powdered paint may be applied by either of two techniques.
  • The item is lowered into a fluidised bed of the powder, which may or may not be electrostatically charged, or
  • The powdered paint is electrostatically charged and sprayed onto the part.
The part is then placed in an oven and the powder particles melt and coalesce to form a continuous film.
There are two main types of powder available to the surface finisher:
  • Thermoplastic powders that will remelt when heated, and
  • Thermosetting powders that will not remelt upon reheating. During the curing process (in the oven) a chemical cross-linking reaction is triggered at the curing temperature and it is this chemical reaction which gives the powder coating many of its desirable properties.
What Is Powder Coating?

·
Registered
318 Posts
i think you may have a heavy hand at painting... glass bead blast it with a really fine media and get someone to dip it in chrome...

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,820 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
take that crap off do stuff to the valve cover .. IMO it looks nicer.. that shit keeps heat in .. it's just to quiet the sound down 9 times outta 10

1 - 20 of 21 Posts