Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm a newcomer to this forum.

I have a 2013 Kia Forte EX with the 2.0L engine that my mom got from an auction to replace my previous car. (She did it against my will and pushed for it due to increasingly frequent repairs to the old one, but I decided to go along with it. I still miss that car.)
The car got fixed up and it has served me nicely these past 3 years. Now, I am getting a slight hunch to modify it a little bit.

I don't plan on doing something intense like adding a turbo. What I'm currently considering the most is adding some aftermarket gauges, since this car doesn't have some essential ones (oil pressure, oil temp, water temp etc.) in its cluster which I find a little dumb. Would you guys think that would be a good idea, and if so what brand gauges would be best? (Looking at GlowShift so far.)

I have added an external TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)... one little addition so far. Here's a picture of it:
Light Automotive lighting Line Font Display device

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Water temp can be found with a cheap OBD2 dongle off Amazon and the Torque app on Android. Adding an actual gauge for it is dumb and a total nightmare.

Adding the other two is also kind of a waste of time and money since it’s an economy car but if you really want to you can get a sandwich plate for the oil filter and tap them both into there and run wires/lines. Not as hard, but probably still more work than it’s worth.

You’d also probably have to make your own mounting solution since nobody does this kind of stuff to these, so good luck with that.

Better question is why do you want to know this info? It’s not really necessary on that car unless you take it to the track or something.

If I sound like a pessimist that doesn’t understand why you’d want additional gauges, I added a bunch of auxiliary gauges to one of my other cars since it’s old and is known to have issues with that stuff that causes bigger issues. I’d do it if I tracked it, or boosted it or something that greatly increases the stress on your car. However, you have a non turbo economy sedan. This is mostly just non-necessary info that you won’t need if it’s your daily. If you track it or tow in hot climates or some sort of severe usage, then it’s a different story, but if it’s just your daily, I wouldn’t bother.

Not trying to discourage you, just leaving this here so you can consider your ideas before committing the time and money to do it. If you still want to, go for it! It would be sweet. Take pictures through the whole process.
I do actually happen to have a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. I wound up getting a BlueDriver a long time ago - I wasn't sure of the cheap stuff. I have monitored these parameters on there before with no issues (mostly - phone was being finicky sometimes). (I don't use the adapter very often nowadays.)

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to do it or not really. It would look cool, yes, but that's not my main motivation. I thought'd it be a decent idea to have those monitored as well. I guess I could just use my BlueDriver for it...

Also I was curious. I don't think I'll ever take this car to the track. I'll probably get smoked a lot LOL.
I still do have a slight hunch to modify this car in some way though... but I also might not do anything.

That's a nice install! I don't plan on going that intense with it haha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I mean you could always try autocross - it’s cheap, easy to start out with and not competitive. I plan on doing it at some point with mine. If it’s your only car and you want to have some fun (especially if it’s a manual), I say go for it.
Autocross huh?
Sounds fun! Yeah, it's my only car (for now), and it's a 6 speed auto with the option of manual shifting. Maybe!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts