Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have about 8500 kms on the odometer but my mileage per tank is changing quite frequently. When I first got my car, the display started saying 530kms until empty, then as I was driving, each tank full would say 5 kms less. I took it in, they did an engine diagnostic, filled up my tank, and it said 515 until empty. On that first tank after they did the diagnostics, I got 600 kms on the tank, thats right, 600 kms. I filled up again, it displayed 515 until empty, and I got just over 500 kms to that tank. A difference of 100 kms per tank. Does anyone know how this is calculated and if the calculations tell the car how the engine should run. If the car is able to do 600 kms to the tank, would it not be doing damage to other engine parts if the computer was telling it to run harder to meet the 515 the display advises?

Any comments on this and if anyone knows of any tweaks to fix this as 600 kms per tank would be great. I do 70% hwy 30% city driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
r u driving auto are manual? if manual you have cvvt which save u ton of gas on the highway, and how aggressive your accelerating will effect your mileage too.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
r u driving auto are manual? if manual you have cvvt which save u ton of gas on the highway, and how aggressive your accelerating will effect your mileage too.
What the hell are you talking about? The forte doesn't have CVT transmission.
If you're talking about valve timing it has nothing to do with the transmission. There's slight differences between the 2.4 and 2.0.

As for the gauge it's a kind of relative gauge. If you drive on the highway for hours it can get up to 800km or more depending on conditions. In the city my gauge shows 450km which is pretty accurate as this reading is after 6 months of a constant path and similar conditions,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My issue is only that I got 600kms on the tank and the very next tank only 500. I am driving an Auto and for the past 3 tanks, not driving aggressive. Was looking for opinions on how to fix the mileage as getting 600 km for one tank and the very next tank only 500 seems strange.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
My issue is only that I got 600kms on the tank and the very next tank only 500. I am driving an Auto and for the past 3 tanks, not driving aggressive. Was looking for opinions on how to fix the mileage as getting 600 km for one tank and the very next tank only 500 seems strange.
Did you really get 600km? Or did you get something like your actual travel KM were 300 and it said KM's remaining 300km? In the beginning (the day I picked up my car)my gauge showed 200km remaining and the tank was full. The next day it showed like 300km. Over a month it was saying 550km on a full tank. After 6 months of stable driving habits it's showing ~450km which is finally fairly accurate.

Last week I went on a roadtrip and at the beginning I had again ~450km on a full tank at about half a tank I had traveled ~400km. (100% highway at 100km I gassed up right before I got on the highway). The gauge was showing I had 100km remaining one hour the next it was showing 200km. It's a very rough and slow predictor at best.

It's unlikely you got 600km on that kind of mix of driving. You'd need to be more like 90% highway. Also the car is most efficient at 100-115km, leave that and you'll stop sipping gas.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Think of it in terms of "Windows" time.

Microsoft Windows calculates the total amount of time to load software by size of the file against system performance, then provides you estimated time remaining to perform that procedure. Does it really take 17 minutes to install this new software? No, it recalculates time remaining as the procedure is performed and updates the estimated time and really ends up completing in 3 minutes. To someone who isn't computer savvy, they usually assume Windows doesn't know what it's doing and is just giving out random amounts of time before it's done.

Predicting mpg and distance to empty is the same thing. It would calculate fuel level against your previous driving habits over a said amount of time or miles. What I would like to know is what the calibration points are.

·
Registered
405 Posts
well.... try to reset the ECU and run the car smoooooooothly... maybe it'll do something

But... what is the real distance u're able to get with one thank ? is it really worst than the first one ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I honestly did get 600km. The Trip A (which I reset after every tank) showed 555 and the "Distance till empty" showed 50.

Again, the very next tank (after reset of trip) showed 515 until empty after the fill up (same as the last tank did where I got 600) but I only got 505 on this tank (ran it until close to dry, trip A said 497 and the "Distance till empty" screen was on --- for a good 30 minutes while I went to work, it displayed --- after going down lower than 50kms left)

My question was to see if anyone else had this issue, and if anyone knew if the display numbers on this screen effected the way the car ran. If the car thought it could only do 500kms per tank, even though it could do 600, would the car computer generate the fuel consumption and run harder to ensure the gas tank was empty.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of my tanks have been around the 505 to 510 kms, but it was slower going down by 5 mks in the remaining distance after every tank, so I asked the dealer to check it out. After I got the 600 from the tank, thats why I am now asking for feedback from other Kia owners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , i manage to search if every one has the same prob..eversince i went for a 10k servicing. whenever i pump my car to the brim of the tank is 492 km.

after the servicing it became 473. and yesterday it went dwn to 468km distance to empty.

I strongly believe something is not right as supposely you haf 492km distance to empty. the indicator do not move that quickly. right now , my last full tank is 468km. i just merely move 20km the meter start to shift abit down which i didnt experience that when i had before that.

I personally think the distance to empty of the FULL tank affect the fuel consumption.

but then yet again, i haf no idea why! every time i pump full tank, it gave me the different milage to empty.

I suppose it should be the same thru out?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What the hell are you talking about? The forte doesn't have CVT transmission.
If you're talking about valve timing it has nothing to do with the transmission. There's slight differences between the 2.4 and 2.0.

As for the gauge it's a kind of relative gauge. If you drive on the highway for hours it can get up to 800km or more depending on conditions. In the city my gauge shows 450km which is pretty accurate as this reading is after 6 months of a constant path and similar conditions,
"Cvvt" is continuous variable valve timing, Honda calls it vtec, and Toyota calls it ivvt (i think) but anyway it just means you're engine changes its timing. A "cvt" is a continual variable transmission which consists of a belt and cone system that constantly moves to keep you in the best rpm for fuel efficiency.

But as for the fuel thing, it is all am estimate based on your average mpg. It's usually never right, cuz I constantly get like 20-50 miles over the prediction. And no it wouldn't make the car do anything, its a dummy gauge that gives you a prediction for your mileage, it all depends on how hard you push that right pedal in regards to how far you'll actually go.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
"Cvvt" is continuous variable valve timing, Honda calls it vtec, and Toyota calls it ivvt (i think) but anyway it just means you're engine changes its timing. A "cvt" is a continual variable transmission which consists of a belt and cone system that constantly moves to keep you in the best rpm for fuel efficiency.

But as for the fuel thing, it is all am estimate based on your average mpg. It's usually never right, cuz I constantly get like 20-50 miles over the prediction. And no it wouldn't make the car do anything, its a dummy gauge that gives you a prediction for your mileage, it all depends on how hard you push that right pedal in regards to how far you'll actually go.
I know what CVT and CVVT is. Read the post I referred to and maybe quote him.

You are right about the gage and that's what we're all trying to explain. That gage means very little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts