Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my SX 2.4 for two weeks and I'm not overly impressed with the fuel economy. I've seen it mentioned before here, but I was wondering what other people have experienced.

When I fill up the tank it tells me I am about 506 KM's to empty - however, on my first tank I only managed to get ~350 KM's (70% city, 30% highway).

I've been driving fairly conservatively, but it looks like I'm on par to get about 420 KM's out of this tank.

I was under the impression that I'd be able to get 500 - 600 KM easily.

I'm curious to know what kind of mileage other people are getting per tank?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My EX gets around 31.2 MPG (Imp) 90% city with usually quick acceleration off lights with 1550 km's on it so far. I get around 28MPG driving aggressively 90% city. Manual Tranny.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I get about 420-440ish KMs for each tank. I have a 6sp 2.4sx Koupe and mostly driving in the city.

Drive like a grandma or teen it makes no real difference, the milage seems to stay the same for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I get about 450 per tank in my 2.0 5spd m/t. This is at 60% city, 40% highway. Also, this is winter mileage. When I got the car in October, I got 400 per tank. Now, that the car's broken in, I estimate that I'll get at least 500 km per tank in the summer time. Maybe 550 if I'm lucky. I don't see you getting 600 km/tank with any 2400cc petrol engine with a comparable size tank.

Smic, at first I didn't seem to notice a difference in fuel consumption when I "drove like a teen or a grandma", but there obviously is a difference. You're just not looking closely enough. For the most accurate comparison, drive agressively for exactly 400 km and see how many litres you've used up. Then, do the same for conservative driving. You'll see that they're in fact not the same. Also, I got an ecoMeter (plugs into the OBDII port) which really taught me how to drive economically. I really thought that "granny driving" was the most economical. It's not. It's somewhere in between and depends on engine/transmission.

For example: being in 3rd gear @ 2500 rpm is more economical on my Forte than 4th @ 2000 rpm. These are roughly the same speed. My Forte also seems to be at its peak economy somewhere between 90 and 95 km/h in 5th (top) gear. Incidently, this puts me at roughly 2500 rpm. That seems to be the "sweet spot" for my car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dumb question time: is the ecoMeter different than the eco light that comes with some of the other Fortes?

The only measurement I was basing on was the koupes computer telling me what my average L/100kms was telling me. Driving aggressively only put it at 11.2L/100kms, where as driving conservatively gave me about 9.8L/100kms. To me that wasn't a huge difference. I have been keeping a log of when I get gas and what my KMs were at and how much I had to fill the tank with. I was going to wait until 15, 000kms and start comparing numbers. (only have 3500kms to go :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
1.4 L is not a small difference, in my opinion because it adds up. That's of course if you consistently drive aggressively. It's not a big difference if you step on it occasionally (who doesn't?).

I don't think that your question is dumb. The ecoMeter works on the same principle as the ECO light on certain models, the principle being to help you drive more economically. However, the ecoMeter is smarter than the factory option. The factory light is either off or on. I don't know what parameters Kia programmed.

The ecoMeter has a ring split into three parts: green, amber, and red (each part has five or six bars, I think). You program your ideal fuel economy, which for me is 30 mpg(us) (8 l/100km). That means that when your real-time consumption is 30 mpg or better, only the green part of the ring is lit. The more above 30 mpg you are, the fewer bars are lit.

This is how I drive. It's impossible to be out of the red in 1st or 2nd gears (unless you're cruising very slowly in a parking lot in 2nd), so I move very quickly to 3rd. While accelerating in 3rd (if I'm in a place with at least a 60 km/h limit, otherwise I will cruise in 3rd), I accelerate as quickly as possible with the ring remaining in amber. Same goes for acceleration in 4th, if 5th is needed. When I've reached my cruising speed, I make sure I stay in the green.

Bottom line is that the ecoMeter allows for smarter accelerating, while the ECO light only tells you what cruise speed is efficient in the current gear.

·
Registered
416 Posts
by the way, i did get 625 km in one full tank at highway but only 487 km in the city.. pretty decent
engine: 2013 2.4L (kia forte koup sx) 6sp. manual
average in highway 7.0-7.3 L/100km city 8.5-9.6 L/100km
current km: 2,546
gas: reg. 87 always shell
modification: less restrictive exhaust; everything stock

·
Registered
419 Posts
I get around 330 miles (530km) per tank which comes out to about 27mpg (11.5km/L)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I get around 330 miles (530km) per tank which comes out to about 27mpg (11.5km/L)
Yep pretty much identical to my numbers...Also I love when you guys revive a thread from 2010 that shows you spent some time searching around on the site

G

·
I only run my tank down to about 250-300 miles.... but I'm averaging over 30 every tank. Even tanks that I auto-x on are still low 30.

Something I've learned with the 2.4, it hates stop-n-go city driving. I can run back and forth to work @ 75mph and average 32mpg. I get caught in 2 mornings of stop-n-go and I can watch the trip drop under 30.

·
Registered
215 Posts
2010 Forte SX (2.4L). 80% highway/ 20% city. Average during summer = 31 miles/gallon => I go about 330 miles before I fill up the tank.

In Km / Liters
about 13.2 km / liter or 7.59 liter / 100 km
go about 530 km per tank before I fill up

·
Registered
226 Posts
I usually get around 350 miles out of one full tank of gas. 70% highway 30% city driving

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took a trip which was all highway and was averaging 36.3 mpg in my Koup SX.

Typically I get 315-345 miles a tank. 25-27.5 to the gallon roughly. That's about 50%highway, 35% city/stop and go, 15% country roads.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes he did. It was just as funny the 10th time as the first!

One a serious note, when I decide I am going to have fun and accelerate quickly around turns and what not its closer to 20-24

1 - 20 of 23 Posts