Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before when i fill up my tank it would say i have 248-250 miles on a full tank.
i disconnected my battery last week and i filled the gas back up yesterday and now it shows 320 miles on a full tank? is that what you guys usually get 320 on a tank?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Man that's 2 threads about this today. It's an estimate. If you want to find out how much you get per tank you need to use your trip calc and do some simple math. That estimate it gives you is based on your driving habits. When you disconnected the battery it probably reset the memory to default.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
+1 mojo for sje

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i disconnected my battery to install my cai last week.. i used to get like 340miles or something before.. now i got 314miles to empty..

·
Registered
107 Posts
I heard that if you pour a litre of pepsi in your gas tank you get even more

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Yah for real with these threads already... Use your "odometer" and see what it say's when you fill up. Then drive until its empty, take that number, subtract it from the original, then divide by the gallons you put in the tank.

Since people don't seem to understand this, here's an example: Say you have 100 miles on the odometer. You run out of gas and it says 400. You fill up 13 gallons. 400-100 = 300 miles. 300 / 13 = 23 mpg.

I literally learned this in like elementary school. Why are so many people on this forum having such difficulty with basic math...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yah for real with these threads already... Use your "odometer" and see what it say's when you fill up. Then drive until its empty, take that number, subtract it from the original, then divide by the gallons you put in the tank.

Since people don't seem to understand this, here's an example: Say you have 100 miles on the odometer. You run out of gas and it says 400. You fill up 13 gallons. 400-100 = 300 miles. 300 / 13 = 23 mpg.

I literally learned this in like elementary school. Why are so many people on this forum having such difficulty with basic math...
Because the average American's IQ is about 20.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

Because the education system is failing. We have people that can't understand this and the thread where they ask how much it costs to fill up the gas tank and have no clue about MPG.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man I've been noticing alot of negativity lately. People cant even post anything anymore without someone being negative. Not being a lil B about it but geeze. Was just wondering how can all these months of fulling it up it would say 250 miles to empty and all of a sudden I somehow have 70 more just for disconnecting the battery when it reset everything. Simple question. Doesn't mean am a dumbass.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
What I think happened here is that when you disconnected your battery you also reset the ECU, and our ECU is a smart one that learns your driving habits. When you reset it, it forgot how you drive and now has to relearn. So it thinks you're a more conservative driver.
But don't rely on the trip computer to tell you what your mileage is, use a piece of paper and a calculator. Much more accurate.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What I think happened here is that when you disconnected your battery you also reset the ECU, and our ECU is a smart one that learns your driving habits. When you reset it, it forgot how you drive and now has to relearn. So it thinks you're a more conservative driver.
But don't rely on the trip computer to tell you what your mileage is, use a piece of paper and a calculator. Much more accurate.

...Must be an echo in here...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Driving to "empty" is relative. It means nothing.

Do the math as suggested by Anthonyc. That is the ONLY way to know what kind of mileage you are getting.

·
Registered
306 Posts
his question isn't about how to figure out his MPG hes asking why did his tank go up to 320 after disconnecting the battery, when normally he gets 248-250 after a fill up

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
his question isn't about how to figure out his MPG hes asking why did his tank go up to 320 after disconnecting the battery, when normally he gets 248-250 after a fill up
Read again, the trip "computer" told him he was getting 320, and the trip "computer" usually tells him he is getting 248-250. His actual mileage is unknown, because he needs to do the necessary math to see how many miles he's really getting.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Read again, the trip "computer" told him he was getting 320, and the trip "computer" usually tells him he is getting 248-250. His actual mileage is unknown, because he needs to do the necessary math to see how many miles he's really getting.
And I did not know that bro. I really don't understand how this is pushing your buttons over something that could of been answered in a different way. That defeats the purpose of this forum. Its made to ask questions and get help from others. Instead of being a dick about it you could of just said "since you disconnected the battery it reset the mileage and know it doesn't know your driving habits" or something like that. My bad Anthonyc I didnt know I had to make sure it's not a dumbass question so you can just brag about how stupid it is. I've had my car for 5 months don't know every single lil spec about it. And for the people that weren't a dick about it THANKS I APPRECIATE IT! :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and like reggie said.. i never once asked how many mpg do i get. my question was why did it change, why did it go up just for disconnecting the battery? did not know it learns your driving habits.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Also, keep in mind that most (if not all) of these values can be reset (i.e. trip mileage, avg mpg, etc). This is not something I realized right away but eventually figured out. So, if you do not manually reset the avg mpg with the trip button, then it will continue to figure the avg from the last time it was reset (which could be since it came from the dealer).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts