Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 2 weeks after I bought my Koup the rubber fairing on the e-brake track broke off and fell inside the car. I was able to fish it out and found that it was held on with little plastic pins (about 2-3 mm in diamater). The pins snapped for some reason, which is pretty annoying, no big deal other than it makes the center console look ugly (funny the difference a little rubber makes :D).

So I took it to the dealer, they said no prob. we'll order the part. Got a call a week-ish later and they told me KIA shipped them the rubber piece and the little plastic pins (the guy was not all that descriptive). Originally they told me that they would have to replace the whole center console unit and now they just want to put the pins back on somehow.

Does anyone have experience or pictures of how that piece is fixed to the console? I am not inclined to drive 2 hours to the dealer to find they have the wrong part or dont know how to do it. I told the tech this and he said "Well it's a new car and we've never had to do this so we won't know until you come up here." I will try to post pics in the near future, meanwhile... opinions?

Thanks guys!

p.s. Also not inclined to go to the dealer b/c last time they got fingerprints all over my just-cleaned car windshield... :eek:

(Koup SX 6-speed manual)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I assumed the pins were molded pieces of the brake handle cover. I can't believe they can order those pins seperately, but I've never seen under there. Hopefully they're right. If the parts diagram they referenced showed them to be a seperate, replaceable part, they must be onto something.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
from what i could see of the diagrams and what not on the kiatech site-
the brake handle cover is a one piece unit..
is it possible that the dealer guys misspoke and just meant to say-
that they ordered the cover and it will just press into place?

·
Registered
139 Posts
mine has come out in the last couple of days, my dealer told me they were ordering the entire center console. me n the one of the ladies that worked in the back were both like 'REALLY??'.. for something so hard to fix, why didnt they think to make it a little better lol... it looks the like little plastic pieces on the console that pin the rubber on are really flimsy and in the heat get softer, so when you engage the brake and slide into the rubber, it really was straining those little plastic pins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me know if you find out (for sure) whether you need the whole console or just the one piece... I have felt around inside and I'm pretty sure you have to replace the whole center console but my dealer insisted it was just one small piece.

(haven't had a chance to make a trip to the dealer yet)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
mine has come out in the last couple of days, my dealer told me they were ordering the entire center console. me n the one of the ladies that worked in the back were both like 'REALLY??'.. for something so hard to fix, why didnt they think to make it a little better lol... it looks the like little plastic pieces on the console that pin the rubber on are really flimsy and in the heat get softer, so when you engage the brake and slide into the rubber, it really was straining those little plastic pins.
wow- and here i am in sunny fla in middle of summer and gotta worry about the heat affecting such a silly part? argh!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts