Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer couldn't find a EX sedan in our region that is Spicy Red w\ moonroof. They are driving in a spicy red w\ Fuel Economy package and offered to put in a moonroof installed by a 3rd party they do business with. I've read several stories about aftermarket moonroof's leaking every year and possibly rusting out where they cut the hole. In addition, I am also aware it may reduce the strength of the roof in a rollover accident. The dealer says it comes with a lifetime warranty.

I am considering going with an SX instead w\ factory moonroof. Should I do that or just avoid a moonroof altogether? I wanted the highest fuel economy I could get and it takes a hit with the SX model. But I can probably live with that given the nicer engine\suspension and other upgraded features.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
522 Posts
Go with factory only, i have seen aftermarket installs thay look like crap and it compremises the intergerty of the car when you make a hole in the roof where there sould not be on, and what is a fuel ecomomy package never heard of that??

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Go with factory only, i have seen aftermarket installs thay look like crap and it compremises the intergerty of the car when you make a hole in the roof where there sould not be on, and what is a fuel ecomomy package never heard of that??
Agreed, stick with the factory sunroof. I would also recommend the SX and not just because I have one. The extras you get for the money are so worth it.

If you are worried about fuel economy differences there's a couple of things you can do to help.
#1. Watch how you drive. Your driving habits will have the most impact on fuel economy. Keep to the posted limit or less. Research has shown that most vehicles will get their best economy at about 70 kmh (45 mph). Watch that acceleration, try to take off in a smooth, gradual manner. If you're stopped at a long light, in a drive thru or anywhere you need to stop for more than 10 seconds, shut off the car.
#2 Keep your tires well inflated. If you keep them inflated to 35-40 psi instead of 30, you can reduce the rolling resistance quite a bit.
#3 At your first oil change, switch to full synthetic oil. It will reduce friction and wear, and reduce the load on the engine.

Good luck with the purchase of your new FORTE!

Cheers :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
which is more important? moonroof or fuel econ? if its f/e then, screw the roof. the sx doesn't do badly on gas milage. I drive very aggressively and still get 23 to 25 mpg. I mean honestly it's your choice. You have to drive it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Agreed, stick with the factory sunroof. I would also recommend the SX and not just because I have one. The extras you get for the money are so worth it.

If you are worried about fuel economy differences there's a couple of things you can do to help.
#1. Watch how you drive. Your driving habits will have the most impact on fuel economy. Keep to the posted limit or less. Research has shown that most vehicles will get their best economy at about 70 kmh (45 mph). Watch that acceleration, try to take off in a smooth, gradual manner. If you're stopped at a long light, in a drive thru or anywhere you need to stop for more than 10 seconds, shut off the car.
#2 Keep your tires well inflated. If you keep them inflated to 35-40 psi instead of 30, you can reduce the rolling resistance quite a bit.
#3 At your first oil change, switch to full synthetic oil. It will reduce friction and wear, and reduce the load on the engine.

Good luck with the purchase of your new FORTE!

Cheers :D
#2. I would say rather than keep them 'well inflated' to 'properly inflated'. Safety is the #1 priority here and following the proper inflation as per KIA Co. is key. Over/Under inflation are both dangerous for driving conditions. There should be a sticker somewhere [door jam?] that will specify the correct tire inflation.
#3. I personally have tried that before [switching from Dino to Synth] with others cars and I have seen no difference in MPG - but maybe some else has better luck with that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i had dealer install the moonroof and it looks great,you could never tell its not factory. i wanted the sx but dark cherry is only available in ex trim.feul eco package means it has a 5 speed AT instaed of 4 speed AT. So i have everything i wanted,color,moonroof,and fuel eco package

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had dealer install the moonroof and it looks great,you could never tell its not factory. i wanted the sx but dark cherry is only available in ex trim.feul eco package means it has a 5 speed AT instaed of 4 speed AT. So i have everything i wanted,color,moonroof,and fuel eco package
roughly....do u remember the cost for the installation of the moonroof? Looking to have one done on my 2011 EX.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have a friend who has a dealer installed moonroof in his VW Passat. It looks good and has never leaked. The switch mounting is the only thing that gives it away that it isn't factory, it is just mounted into the roof liner and not terribly sturdy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Get the SX with the factory moon roof. You won't be sorry or you'll always be kicking yourself for buying something that didn't meet your specifications. I have one and it is well worth the cost considering how it provides the additional light into the cabin during the day. And the SX comes with the fog lamps which I believe are a necessity.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I asked my dealer about installing one they told me 1K....Yea okay! I can get one installed professionally for $500..And I had one done on a previous vehicle, not factory, and never had one single issue with it. I would find a reputable dealer, who is willing to guarentee their work....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.