Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a forte ex m/t. My car just started doing this or i'm just now noticing (Had it since june 12)...In the mornings or when it has been sitting for awhile the rpm goes to 1000 like normal but after a few seconds it revs up all the way to 3500. After a few second it then gradually goes back to idle at 1000. Following that there is this small rattling noise. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to technical issue with my car yet. Just now getting really into them so if this is a stupid question sorry lol...so is this normal? I was thinking it does that to warm up or something. I'm really not too sure.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,885 Posts
Doesn't sound right...make an appointment to have it looked at. Since it occurs when it is cold you'll have to expect to leave it overnight so they can check it out -- if they don't find anything wrong with it when it is warm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sucks. This will be the second time this car has been in the shop. 2 days after having the car the engine light comes on. They said this was due to a faulty fuel tank. Nearly in there for a week. Had to get a brand new fuel tank. I do believe I may have a lemon. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
82 Posts
At least Kia put a good warranty on the car. Keep your head up, you should be taken care of (especially if the problem replicates itself easily at the dealership).

Oh, and let us know what was faulty. Maybe it'll help somebody else out with a warranty claim.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I have a forte ex m/t. My car just started doing this or i'm just now noticing (Had it since june 12)...In the mornings or when it has been sitting for awhile the rpm goes to 1000 like normal but after a few seconds it revs up all the way to 3500. After a few second it then gradually goes back to idle at 1000. Following that there is this small rattling noise. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to technical issue with my car yet. Just now getting really into them so if this is a stupid question sorry lol...so is this normal? I was thinking it does that to warm up or something. I'm really not too sure.
Where's the rattling noise coming from? Pop your hood and check the noise location tomorrow morning. The revving is normal for many cars especially in the cold, or when he engine is cold. As for the rattling, do you have your ac or front defroster on? If so it's likely the compressor and ac system settling/kicking in/ equalizing pressure wise. The rattle too could be coming from a part of the car that only rattles at that rpm, innother words, it's particular resonant frequency.

And now for a tangent, the rattle reminds me of when I talked my parents into buying a surround sound system door their new hd LCD. Well it was funny when the china in the china cabinet in the other began to rattle at their resonant frequencies!

But I digress....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys! I will be setting up an appointment tomorrow since it's time for an oil change anyways. I'll ask them to check that out and the A/C output issue (Doesn't get cold enough). And yes, KIA does have a great warranty and roadside assistants. They gave me a car to drive for the week that my car was in the shop. And when I had a flat, they came by and patched it up.

D113, that's what my brother said, it's just a cold start. I never even thought about if I had my a/c on. Though I usually try to turn it off before I get out the car. I'll have to check and hear where the actually rattling is coming from.

lol I hope it doesn't get that loud, where I can see the mirrors vibrate. I'd definitely have a problem on my hands.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No way should you see ''3500'' rpm on any start-up. Imagine someone in a hurry dropping into drive or reverse at 3500. Not good,not safe. 1500,yes. Much over that is wrong.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No way should you see ''3500'' rpm on any start-up. Imagine someone in a hurry dropping into drive or reverse at 3500. Not good,not safe. 1500,yes. Much over that is wrong.
Mine hits the 1500 about every 5th or 6th startup. Never thought anything of it. 3500 should freak anybody out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Kia suggests a warm-up period of 10-30 seconds. I usually wait till the bluetooth lady tells me "Transfer Complete", then I start driving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That bluetooth lady annoys me with her random repeats of "transfer complete" while I'm driving. My car is going in the shop tomorrow. I don't think it's too serious because the car doesn't sound like it's actually up that high. Maybe sometimes wrong with the gauge. Yeah, I let my car sit for a minute or 2 before I take off, and in the winter much longer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe he is asking how to properly "brake in" the engine? You don't want to be too rough with you engine in the beginning. Try not revving too high and vary your speed from time to time while driving. Keeping a continuous speed is not considered braking in. That's it I believe. It's all in the manual. It makes for good reading when bored I promise:).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts