Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight I changed the engine oil to Royal Purple 5W20, and the man trans to Royal Purple 75W90 to get ready for winter. I am at 13,600kms, and this is my 3rd oil/filter change.

Crawled under and found:
1st pic - view of oil pan from drivers side
2nd pic - view of oil pan from back of car
3rd pic - view of oil pan from behind front right wheel

The oil pan gasket is leaking enough to collect an oily 'sweat' on the pan, but not enough for it to drip anywhere. It looks like the passenger side is more of the problem area. I decided to check the bolts, some moved a hair and others not at all, so I cleaned the pan up and will check on it periodically before I'll decide to take it to the dealership 5 hours away. I was gentle since I didn't want to over compress it. Oil is checked every 2-3 fuel fills and the level was always bang on so there is hardly any loss. I still think the pan should be dry, especially at this mileage.....

The fourth pic is the trans drain plug. Magnetic obviously, it collected quite an amount of shavings, plus the upper 1/2'' under the shavings was a thicker metallic sludge. The oil came out golden brown, but there is some apparent wear during break in that's collected.

Trans fluid was a little time consuming, but it was well worth it now that I see that plug, and would recommend it just to clean the magnet even though the oil was pristine.

Any other oil pan gasket issues for your Forte's??

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
My pan was dry last weekend, but I only have 6000 miles on mine. Hope it doesn't take the turn yours did.

My tranny drain plug had a small amount of metallic sludge on it when I switched it to synthetic at 3000 miles. You got a lot of metal there....glad you have a magnet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good grief that's a lot of metal. I think I'll look into changing the trany fluid this weekend just to be on the safe side:)

·
Registered
973 Posts
never changed tranny fluid before, was it pretty easy? I've been wanting to make the switch to royal purp myself for trans fluid too

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trans was pretty easy, just a little more time consuming. Take out the oil fill plug first so when you take the drain plug out it can vent and not burp. I also cut a piece of hose about 4" long with an I.D. Of 1/4" to slip onto the royal purple spout. With that I was able to put the bottle up between the block and fan/rad with the hose going into the fill hole.

·
Registered
432 Posts
13600km and 3rd oil change? Someone has money to waste!

BTW, I'd recommend not using Royal Purple... Independent tests showed very poor results for RP. There are much better oils out there for the same price or even cheaper.

BTW, that oil pan leak is definitly not a normal issue and I think you should go to the dealer asap. And show them that picture of the magnetic plug...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oil changes at 1600, 8500, and 13600 kms ? Doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

Independent tests go both ways. Sometimes it places top three, sometimes it doesn't, but they don't say not to use RP. I got the engine oil for free, so I decided to give it a shot.

The leak isn't normal no, but going to my nearest and purchased at dealership 5 hours away isn't going to happen today or tomorrow. I called them the next day, and for them to have an opening in the morning to inspect and replace so I can leave same day I am looking at 3 weeks away anyways. I'll monitor fluid level and the pan's progress. If it gets worse before I find the time to make my dealership trip, worst case scenario I do the pan gasket myself.

I also want to see other peoples tranny drain plug with higher mileage on it then me for comparison. My Koup isn't bagged and I've never ground gears.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as the oil leak goes have you seen this thread OP?

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/forte-koup-general-discussion/3644-oil-leak-3000-miles.html

What made you drain the tranny fluid? Just curious?
Yeah I did, and thought it sounds familiar. KiaTech refers to the front of the gasket not sealing, where my problem area is the back. Since it wasn't a collective drip leak like some of the others, I felt fine cleaning it and tightening the bolts just as posters reported the dealership did.

As for the trans fluid, I just wanted to get some synthetic in there now that it has over 10K on it. I wanted to see if it helped at our -40*C we share jcbel:rolleyes:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've heard very bad stuff about RP, that's for sure..

Also, synthetic oil changes can be made at 10 000km intervals without concern. It can't hurt to change it more often, but it really is not necessary at all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've heard very bad stuff about RP, that's for sure..

Also, synthetic oil changes can be made at 10 000km intervals without concern. It can't hurt to change it more often, but it really is not necessary at all.
Thanks for the concern, and I will take it in to consideration for next oil change.

It wasn't clear, but this is my first synthetic change at 13,600kms, and will be going for longer intervals now for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts