Nice work! Looks good! Do u see any power gains from it? Time
to make another and ship it to my house lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work! Looks good! Do u see any power gains from it? Time
to make another and ship it to my house lol
Thanks.. It makes the car more responsive, down low taking off you really notice the difference, also the car pulls better over hills in 5th gear.
It only took about an hour to do and you wouldn't have any problem making it as it's so simple. You just have to screw on the hose clamps and it's done, the hardest part was drilling the hole to put in the air hose for engine breather pipe. The rubber sleeves I used were from the plumbing dept of a harwhare shop,the stainless steel pipe fitted perfectly and that was readily available from a Autoshop. The pod fits nice and low underneath battery, all I have to do tomorrow is put some flexi hose from front intake pipe and direct that air to the side of the pod filter

·
Registered
587 Posts
excellent work! well done.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks.. It makes the car more responsive, down low taking off you really notice the difference, also the car pulls better over hills in 5th gear.
Are you gonna post a new video? That last set up you had sounded pretty damn nice!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looks good!

Nice valve cover also!

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Great job and thanks for sharing!

Time for some intake videos...yeeehaaaaaa!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Nice work. I recommend putting an aluminum deflector shield around the radiator side of the filter to reduce the amount of heated air coming in from the radiator and to stop from sucking in rain spraying in through the rad.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work. I recommend putting an aluminum deflector shield around the radiator side of the filter to reduce the amount of heated air coming in from the radiator and to stop from sucking in rain spraying in through the rad.
Thx for tip, it was dark when I finished last night so will look again this morning. But I think it's to the side of the radiator plus I plan to put a piece of flexi hose onto the vent that comes in on top of radiator and direct that right onto the filter also.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where you take you tube and what is the size for a 2.4 or 2.0 ?
I very like to make my SRI too
Not sure what you mean "where you take you tube "
The S/S U-Bend is 76mm (about 3') the rubber couplings were 65mm.
The car is a 2.0 litre

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you gonna post a new video? That last set up you had sounded pretty damn nice!
Yeah I might do that today now I know how to post a video on here.
It sounds pretty well much th same, perhaps a little deaper sound. Where I had it in first video caused a bit too much resonate echoey sound (excuse my english) due to the close proximaty to the hood reflectig the sound.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It looks great! Nice work :)
Thanks I'm happy with it and it was so easy to make. I couldn't bring myself around to paying $420 Australian to get the Injen or the Turbokits CAI. This mod. would have cost me between $50-70 to do and its a shorter intake pipe meaning less air turbulance plus no need for a bracket to hold filter on with.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I was wondering is there any reason why I can't get rid of old air-cleaner box. Just thinking it might shield the ECU a bit more from the heat caused by the engine

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I was wondering is there any reason why I can't get rid of old air-cleaner box. Just thinking it might shield the ECU a bit more from the heat caused by the engine
You can get rid of it. Some forums members have built a bracket for it so they could remove the box. Injen built a louvered lid to replace the top of it and to allow more heat dispersion. TurboKits is working on a bracket I believe.

I drove home last Sunday and after 300kms and 15kms of city stop and go I checked the temp of the ECU right after parking and it was only warm, not very warm and definately not hot. This was with the factory box with lid attached and no intake or outlet hoses attached to it. Like in the pic below.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thx for that might look at putting bracket there then, I was looking at my friends BMW and his ECU is shielded, it's in behind a metal shielded body panel at the back of the engine. Just would hate to cook it

1 - 20 of 70 Posts