Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home today and when I turned on to my street, for some reason my car won't go over 3000 rpm. It starts to studder as soon as i hit 3000 rpm and no matter how much gas i give it, it won't go over. Then I tried turning my car off and back on, and it wouldn't start right away. What could this be? Please help!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I was driving home today and when I turned on to my street, for some reason my car won't go over 3000 rpm. It starts to studder as soon as i hit 3000 rpm and no matter how much gas i give it, it won't go over. Then I tried turning my car off and back on, and it wouldn't start right away. What could this be? Please help!
MTX or auto??? what trim??? More detail should help!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sounds like you're in "Limp Mode"... something is terribly wrong with the engine and it's trying to save it's own life. I'd suggest you get it to the dealer PDQ.

Other option - and I only say this because yes, I ran into this just last week - is that a squirrel could be using your airbox as a storage facility for it's pine cones... and your engine is starving for air. Revs to the limit fine at stand still, but under load, completely bagged out... Sorento came in with that... funniest diagnostic charge. Ever.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,885 Posts
#1 > take it to the dealer!

#2 > go buy a code reader and find out what code(s) is(are) stored. That's the only way you'll be able to figure this out. Diagnoses through a computer screen rarely helps...LoL

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,885 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like you're in "Limp Mode"... something is terribly wrong with the engine and it's trying to save it's own life. I'd suggest you get it to the dealer PDQ.

Other option - and I only say this because yes, I ran into this just last week - is that a squirrel could be using your airbox as a storage facility for it's pine cones... and your engine is starving for air. Revs to the limit fine at stand still, but under load, completely bagged out... Sorento came in with that... funniest diagnostic charge. Ever.
hahahahaha...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
OMG!! this happened to me too a few months ago! I would drive and the engine would not pass the 3,000 rpm line, it was so weird.. It went away once I turned off the car... You are the second person (that I know of) to have this problem.. 2.0L 5 speed manual transmission...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Limp Mode have it towed to the dealer through your roadside assistance....

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's literally when your car tries to limp it's way home after it's had a major malfuction... It does so to prevent further damage to the affected systems and will only do it for so long before it completely shuts down... It wont go past 3000 and moves in slow jerking motions just as if you were limping on a broken leg for example..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts