Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I spent the day fabricating my new intake and relocating the ECU. The stock parts stack for the car is growing.

The intake looks and sounds great! Best of all, it has some nice kick in the pants--especially above 3500 RPM. Did I mention the intake growl? I'm loving it!

I could have gone with something that didn't look show quality but elected not to go that route. Now I have the best of both worlds for a much cheaper price and without stock parts looking getto half assembled.

Here are the pics:

Other view...

Once again, the car feels stronger across the band and really pulls harder up top. I realize this is not a CAI but didn't want to wait forever for a CAI. The good news is it's modular and I can convert it to CAI down the line.

Let me know what the Forte tribe thinks about this mod...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Is the tubing bolted to the engine or is it floating and possibly banging around on acceleration and deceleration?
Looks great btw.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Looks really good! Damn near production quality. What'd you use to piece it together? I'd be really interested in piecing my own together, if I don't get the SRI from Road Race Motorsports. Might wait till I get out to San Diego in September though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no clearance or banging issues on this setup.

I tested the hell out of it by accelerating to redline, around corners, and decelerating with heaving breaking. Then I repeated the above numerous times with power braking around corners, on/off hard, you name it. This was done on a 30 minute romp driving it as hard as I could.

I do plan to add additional bracing at the filter clamp to be extra sturdy tomorrow. Thanks for the props. I like this much better than the alternatives out there @ this time and it works very well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks really good! Damn near production quality. What'd you use to piece it together? I'd be really interested in piecing my own together, if I don't get the SRI from Road Race Motorsports. Might wait till I get out to San Diego in September though.
Thanks! I did all this for less than 100.00! I used the Spectre Modular Air Intake System.

Spectre Base Kit
Spectre Performance 8208 - Spectre Modular Air Intake System Starter Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Paid 39.99 at local Autoparts store.

60-degree adapter for the TB
Spectre Performance 8668 - Spectre Modular Air Intake System Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Paid 11.99 at local Autoparts store.

Cool white filter (with clear oil vs red)
Spectre Performance 8138 - Spectre Performance Air Filters - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Paid 24.99 at local Autoparts store.

You'll also need a 2.75 inch to 3.00 coupler for the TB to intake tube
I already had the Boostcontroller.com 2.75 to 3.00 inch reducer and HQ Clamps for TB to Tube solid (non flexing) coupler.
(Estimated 15.00)

I also bought some HD PCV hose and made a custom ECU bracket out of sheet metal. I can't wait to dyno this setup!

The guy at the auto store made this comment: "What a great idea--no one ever does this and I wish I would have used this system. Instead I overpaid $300.00 for my setup vs this config." I took it back to show him and the crew. Needless to say, they were impressed.

PS: I almost bought the RRM SRM but passed. I didn't want the Stock airbox remenants and wanted something that was polished. Also 199.00 vs less than 100.00 for polished and ECU relocation made it a no brainer and set me down this path.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Man that looks great, could you give alittle better pictures or a short right up how you made a bracket for the ECU? I believe i saw a $10 off 25 coupon on slickdeals.net so i might have to check this out

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thanks for the parts list! I have no plans tomorrow and might go out and do this... :) All those Spectre parts were available at a local parts store? Hmmmm...going to definitely check this out tomorrow. Is the ECU relocation neccessary? Or just something you did while you were doing all this? How loud is the sound the intake makes?

Sorry for the barage of questions, but this got me really excited! Haha

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the parts were available except the TP Parts (The nice clamps and 2.75 to 3.00 coupler). Www.boostcontroller.com has both of these parts. The nice clamps are not required but they won't eat up the reducer. I had mine on hand from the Sorento intake project before going up to 3.5 inches.

The ECU must be relocated to lose the airbox. I used existing points on the body to mount it and would have to tear it apart to show you. Maybe I should make a ECU relocation kit and sell it? :p

Honestly, any mechanically inclined person with a drill, piliers, and a dremel can make one--which is why I am shocked I am the first. Start by taking the airbox out and then eyeing places to mount it via metal tabs. I'm not that smart--just motivated.

Enjoy tribe, enjoy!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The air filter apprears to be sitting high, but it looks like quality work, what was the total time spent on the project?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
GOOD JOB!!! Looks great and no doubt sounds good...

Thanks for posting the PNs too!

Now the aftermarket people can look at your version and provide a one-piece polished tube to replace the multiple pieces you had to use.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found a rattle and fixed it... It was where the stock airbox connected to the battery tray. I put a bolt into this hole to secure the plastic tray and rattle gone. I will be using this hole for the hard mount point to the filter. It just makes sense based on it's proximity.

So much for my gas mileage. However, the romping has put a smile on my face. :D

I can't wait to see the mileage with the intake on the Freeway.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, update--The Mileage on the freeway has gone below stock to the best of 29 (in areas I could get 38) and average 27.5 where I could get 35.5. I feel this is going to be a problem with all short ram type intakes due to the warm engine air.

I plan to Dyno at Friday at 9:30am @ MechTech MS. If there are any SD Forte folks that want to join come on up. I will be dynoing the following:

1. My 3" Short Ram kit with Conical filter.
2. Stock Airbox with stock filter and Charcoal
3. Stock Airbox with Drop-in K&N and Charcoal removed.

This should be very interesting. Remember a Short Ram will always dyno better with the hood open as most dyno test are performed this way. As always, pics are in order.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK, update--The Mileage on the freeway has gone below stock to the best of 29 (in areas I could get 38) and average 27.5 where I could get 35.5. I feel this is going to be a problem with all short ram type intakes due to the warm engine air.

I plan to Dyno at Friday at 9:30am @ MechTech MS. If there are any SD Forte folks that want to join come on up. I will be dynoing the following:

1. My 3" Short Ram kit with Conical filter.
2. Stock Airbox with stock filter and Charcoal
3. Stock Airbox with Drop-in K&N and Charcoal removed.

This should be very interesting. Remember a Short Ram will always dyno better with the hood open as most dyno test are performed this way. As always, pics are in order.
Mileage improved today with a peak of 35.1 and averaged 33.6.. Same time of day, same route, same temps. I wonder if the ECU has adjusted. This means that a CAI would probably increase mileage back to 38 or better on the same stretch.

I have volunteered for the AEM testing so we will have a stock airbox vs. AEM dyno test hopefully very soon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Are the mileage readings from the trip comp or manual calculation...? Either way the improvement is nice :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Really nice work ! I was admiring the job then noticed no MAF sensor , are we MAP ? Is there room for a CAI without having to relocate the battery or holesaw cut an exit thru the inner fender or rad support .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really nice work ! I was admiring the job then noticed no MAF sensor , are we MAP ? Is there room for a CAI without having to relocate the battery or holesaw cut an exit thru the inner fender or rad support .
Thanks on the props....

Yes, we are indeed a MAP system (or speed denisity for you fox body guys). There is plenty of room to go cold air below the battery into the drivers fog lamp area. I felt this area last night and wow--it was cold to the touch!

I pointed this out to RoadRaceMotorsports and I believe that AEM will do the same.

You could do this with the Spectre System as well. You would need to buy a couple of 90's to route over the coolant lines before diving into the area but could easily be done.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts