Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down PA-43 coming back from morgantown, WV. I got Pulled over by the POPO, and well, he gave me a ticket. It was my first time being pulled over ever.

How bad?

81 in a 65mph, at Night, clear roads, no traffic, being followed by a Nissan Xterra at the same speed.

Any tips on how to fight it, anyone from PA ever fought a ticket?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yea my first speeding ticket (my only one) really screwed me big time. 6 points on my license, 250$ on the spot and 100$ a year for 3 years...not fun

·
Registered
533 Posts
That is considered a suspension offense for anything 15 and up over the limit.. Being your first offense plead not guilty to request a court date and go in and explain you were at fault and did not realize how fast you were actually going and explain you have no problem paying the fine just ask for no points or reduced points and/or no suspension..

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is considered a suspension offense for anything 15 and up over the limit.. Being your first offense plead not guilty to request a court date and go in and explain you were at fault and did not realize how fast you were actually going and explain you have no problem paying the fine just ask for no points or reduced points and/or no suspension..
PA limit is "31 over" for a suspension, 100% sure about it. (had a friend get busted for it)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well I got out of a 90 in a 55 on I-279 a couple years ago.. I paid the fine but asked for no points in court... got the fine lowered also by about $100

·
Registered
695 Posts
Had a 55 in a 25, school zone but the stupid lights were out and the cop admitted that they were working on replacing my bulbs. Judge dropped to a 5 mph speeding ticket no points. I was doing 55 in a 50 by the judges logic. I agreed with him.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got out of a 90 in a 55 on I-279 a couple years ago.. I paid the fine but asked for no points in court... got the fine lowered also by about $100

All i care about at this point is NOT to get points. I am ok with paying it, just not having points

My insurance is 4500/yr, i can't have it go any higher.

should it say number of points on the ticket?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was driving down PA-43 coming back from morgantown, WV. I got Pulled over by the POPO, and well, he gave me a ticket. It was my first time being pulled over ever.

How bad?

81 in a 65mph, at Night, clear roads, no traffic, being followed by a Nissan Xterra at the same speed.

Any tips on how to fight it, anyone from PA ever fought a ticket?

Being from PA and knowing a few troopers, and higher people. When you get pulled over depending on some circumstances. Did the trooper get ya with the laser? If he didn't and without and consistent evidence you can fight it. If he got ya with the laser your pretty f*cked.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He got me with RADAR, last calibrated 11 months ago.

Rear mounted radar, i was in the left lane, a car was at the same speed 1/4 mile behind me in the right lane. But it was def. me that got clocked

81 in a 65

Clear roads
Night time
PA state trooper
Marked Car
Cop was being a dick (all due respect to cops, he didn't say much just asked for papers, and told me why he pulled me over) didn't give me a chance to talk.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear it. Almost got my first speeding ticket ever yesterday. Got clocked at 75 in a 35. But the cop was cool about it and just told me to observe the speed limit. Nice guy. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also adding, my buddy got a ticket and the officer didn't show up to the court hearing and they threw it out...keep in mind.

·
Registered
519 Posts
IDK if PA offers it but i would suggest taking a defensive driving test at your local driving school (usually 6-HR course over 2 or 3 days) or take it online where you can save your work and come back to it when you have time. It gives you pts off your lisence and you get a certificate.. bring the certificate with you to court and show it to the judge and tell him you didnt realize your speed.... he will probably drop it.... or atleast lower it.... thats what i did with my only ticket ever and it got droped from a 87 in a 55 to 11mph over which was a $230 fine and 4 pts.... but the defensive driving test erased the pts off my lisence

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do not do the above and most of all do not explain 'that you were at fault'...get a lawyer. I will say it again: get a lawyer. And again: GET A LAWYER.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
This is the California way to fight a ticket, well one of them.

I've heard that you can do a trial by declaration where you send in an explanation of why you aren't guilty. The officer also has to write and submit a declaration then a judge will decide. I have heard that if the officer doesn't write his response then the case gets dismissed. And if your declaration is denied you can request a standard in-court trial.

Once you get your in-court trial date make a discovery request from the agency that gave you the ticket for any evidence they have, radar read outs, etc. When your trial date comes around (in CA) if the officer that ticketed you doesn't show up the case will be dismissed. If he shows up they probably have not yet complied with the discovery request so you can request a continued trial date. Rinse, repeat.

No idea if this works in other states but my friends have had at least 50% of their tickets dismissed because the officer didn't participate. This is just how to possibly get your ticket dismissed by default, it does not work every time.

If your state allows you to do traffic school or some sort of class to avoid it going on your record then do that. That's what I do whenever I get a ticket so my insurance has never gone up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts