Kia Forte Forum banner

My Roof Antenna

20K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  robecs2007 
#1 ·
Antenna fell off on the highway going to work, not just the antenna but the whole base to!!! I was doing about 15 over speed limit! 85, then I heard noise hit like the back of the car, wasn't sure what it was until I got to work and got out looking for scratches and noticed my antenna and base missing!
Fast Forward!
took it to the dealership and they told me I broke it going threw the car was or my neighbors did it! I'm like bullshit! my neighbors are old and white! I doubt they try to piss off me, "the black guy" by breaking my antenna which only receives country radio stations I don't even listen to!

They pissed me off trying to make it seem like I'm trying to cover something up! all of a sudden everybody at the dealership had a story of somebody breaking car antennas! i'm like wateva. they told me it'll be 300 to fix at least. I'm like I'm not paying you fools $300 for country radio! I own a ipod!

Customer service told me there not responsible for the wind, its a act of god. I'm like, its on the outside of the car, what else is going to mess it up!

Ordered a shark antenna by the way! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Antenna fell off on the highway going to work, not just the antenna but the whole base to!!! I was doing about 15 over speed limit! 85, then I heard noise hit like the back of the car, wasn't sure what it was until I got to work and got out looking for scratches and noticed my antenna and base missing!
Fast Forward!
took it to the dealership and they told me I broke it going threw the car was or my neighbors did it! I'm like bullshit! my neighbors are old and white! I doubt they try to piss off me, "the black guy" by breaking my antenna which only receives country radio stations I don't even listen to!

They pissed me off trying to make it seem like I'm trying to cover something up! all of a sudden everybody at the dealership had a story of somebody breaking car antennas! i'm like wateva. they told me it'll be 300 to fix at least. I'm like I'm not paying you fools $300 for country radio! I own a ipod!

Customer service told me there not responsible for the wind, its a act of god. I'm like, its on the outside of the car, what else is going to mess it up!

Contact KIA customer service and report this issue and the dealer. These cars are speed limited to about 130 mph so they can't blame the wind for blowing off the antenna.

It should be easy to tell if it was broken off or just fell off because it wasn't installed correctly. If nothing is bent or cracked you shouldn't have a problem.

#3 ·
Yea BigE is right! Theres no way going 85 on the highway would knock off a properly installed factory antenna. Report this ASAP and demand getting a new one. You got the shark fin but you should rly not let them win by just letting this issue pass by. Good luck with all of this man. Hopefully, and i doubt, its not a factory installed problem that i have to now worry about on the highway but you're the first one ive heard that this has happened to so unless other problems arise, we should all be ok. (unfortunately except u lol)

#5 ·
yes unless you are going to cut into the roof, you'll need to base of the antenna for the more commonly used MarkII sharkfin antenna. i have mine and it requires the base. but ya its bs that the dealer wont cover it. theres nothing you or any1 can do to make your whole antenna pop off while driving. i would call kia costumer service and get it fixed.

#6 ·
They're not going to fix it, customer service claims its a act of god, and my warranty doesn't cover wind damage! Im like if the my side mirror falls off tomorrow would that be my fault to!?....she like! no sir, thats not the message here. well its on the outside, wtf is the difference!!! no comment.. she skips to another question!

I can understand if just the antenna broke off, but the base is missing too! Took it to the dealership and they said its not a factory problem, somebody broke it. I'm like yea, they took the time to break the antenna and whole base off. Told me to bring the pieces in. I'm like its on the highway, I'm not walking up and down the highway looking for a roof antenna. Now I'm riding around with plastic and blue painters tape over the unit because the green circuit board is showing!

I ordered the mark fin II, I just wanted something to cover it up, satellite still works but, I can only pick up one radio station everything else is static! I figured if I could just cover the whole thing I would be good!

#7 ·
Wow I had this same issue. They convinced me into thinking this is not the norm for it to come off and they state it broke off. I paid for the replacement. I come in for a oil change today and what do I see 2 vehicles on their lot with 2 antennas missing...!!!??? A scam. If it wasn't built to last just tell me. They say the car wash did it or pressure washing it did it....NOPE my husband hand wash my car! A SCAM!!! Yes it was still under warranty and yes I called corporate. . They all say that the antennas don't just come off. ..well mine did and obviously after checking the internet and looking around this kia dealership lot others have too! A SCAM!!!

Fast Forward!

#8 ·
Wow I had this same issue. They convinced me into thinking this is not the norm for it to come off and they state it broke off. I paid for the replacement. I come in for a oil change today and what do I see 2 vehicles on their lot with 2 antennas missing...!!!??? A scam. If it wasn't built to last just tell me. They say the car wash did it or pressure washing it did it....NOPE my husband hand wash my car! A SCAM!!! Yes it was still under warranty and yes I called corporate. . They all say that the antennas don't just come off. ..well mine did and obviously after checking the internet and looking around this kia dealership lot others have too! A SCAM!!!

Fast Forward!

#9 ·
The antenna covers are weak & will break off. The 3 areas/columns where the screws go in are weak af. The antenna covers can & will break off.

I couldn't fix them at all. Too brittle not thick enough either to keep in place. I had to go to my local junk/salvage yard. Luckily I found a 2012 Kia forte sedan for $20.00.

Went home cleaned the cover & bought from Walmart 2 part epoxy & paint brushed the entire cover inside & out let it dry for 2 days then painted with Rustoleum 2X ultimate high gloss (for plastics) & cut the antenna mast to 3inches painted the stubby mast with rustoleum truck bed coating. Then I brushed on dielectric grease on both sides of the circuit board (just in case).

The area/screw in mast area is also a week & brittle too. My circuit board was rusted & I couldn't desolder to make repairs. The long length of the antenna itself helps in the cracking & deterioration & will allow water/moisture in causing slow water damage to the circuit board & leak into the cabin & headliner, which happened to me. My kids were the ones that told me water was going in when I was at the carwash just rinsing it off.

The new antenna from the junk/salvage yard I did as much preventative maintenance longevity & reinforcement from my 1st antenna to the new antenna.

#10 ·
If you don’t want to fix it get it off of eBay lots of parts dealers on there especially from Korea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.