Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Solo Performance Cat-Back review

I got the QR-Rez with the long Mach muffler, their quietest combination.
I used just two ramps under the rear wheels to lift the car. There was plenty of room in the rear, and just enough to slide under for the resonator.

Here is my review:

The install:

The first thing I noticed when I opened the box is how well put together this kit is. All the pieces are welded pretty well and the tip is absolutely beautiful! The resonator isn't completely see through, there is a sort of screen about half way down, which I can only assume deadens the raspiness substantionaly. The muffler is fairly big, and it does an amazing job at quieting down the sound.
The install took me about two hours. I didn't have the right socket, so I tried using one too short for a little bit, but it didn't work, so I finally gave up after half an hour, ran to WalMart and got a deep socket set. Once I had that, it took me another half hour to get the stock system off. I started it up with the open cat, and holy mother of Jesus it was freaking loud! But it sounded pretty dang good. It sounded vicious!
The resonator was easy to get on, but there wasn't enough clearance to get my ratchet on the bolts to tighten them, just had to use a crescent wrench. I think I got it tight enough, no leaks yet. It lined up perfectly the very first time.
And of course I had to start it after the res was on. It sounded deep and purred like a very loud kitten. Still very aggressive.
I had to try a few different angles to get the mid pipe on, but it went in plenty easy after the search. The band clamps Solo provides are genius! They hug the piping perfectly and make a very good seal. I definitely prefer them to the standard Torca clamps.
Last step was the muffler. It lifted into place easily and slid into the hanger easy with some WD-40. It took very minimal adjustment to get it to sit right in the cutout. It actually sat perfectly when I let it go. My friend helping me exclaimed "Dude it's perfect!"
Of course once I started tightening the clamps it moved a little. I just checked it every few turns of my wrench to make sure it was still right. Once everything was tight, I sat back and admired my work.
At first I thought the tip was way too big, but it fits the cutout perfectly! It looks really good.

The sound:

OMG IT SOUNDS AMAZING! It has a very nice, deep purr to it, not too loud, but certainly noticable.
There is close to no in-cabin drone, and it has a very nice burble when cruising.
On acceleration it very much comes to life! Not overly loud, just a quite deep and subtle performance tone. I absolutely love the sound!
At the higher RPMs I hear my intake more than the exhaust, which is perfect.
Although outside the car it's quite a bit louder. The sound proofing around the cabin helps a lot.

So anyone on the fence about this system: JUST BUY IT ALREADY!

Nice!

In glorious 720P!!!!​

Addendum:

High flow catalytic converter!
Bought it off Paulst recently, didn't get a chance to install it until today.

Let me tell you, the bolts on the cat/res flange are a b*tch to get off. There is little room to get a wrench in there. So here's my solution:
Remove the downpipe/cat nuts and pull the whole exhaust backwards so the cat falls off. Now take off the hanger on one side of the resonator and let the res hang down. These two steps make it so much easier to get an open ended wrench on the nuts. Hold onto the res to keep it steady.
It should probably also be said that the O2 sensor should be removed first. Or at least pull the wires out of the clips. You risk ripping a wire, and that's not good!

Putting the cat on is pretty easy, plenty of room for a socket. Tightening everything is easy enough.

Now then, when I first started it up.... it sounded pretty much the same, only a little louder.
Rev it and it gets pretty raspy! No camera or microphone can accurately capture the noise it makes. A shame really.
On the road it pretty much sounds the same, only much louder! I'm loving it so far! And it might just be me, but I think I'm getting better mileage already!
And every now and then I get a whiff of gasoline hehe

Sweet!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,820 Posts
Congrats...now go out and enjoy the sound...LoL!
I used an open end 19MM wrench on mine...no leaks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Man! My Sedan is so dang quiet when I start it that at times I double start the bloody car!

I am so dieing to do this but with the little mechanical know how that I have; I am afraid to hose something up. AutoItK: was it fairly straight forward? Or do you have repair experience?

Yeah I know I sound like an auto noob! Dats b-cause I yam!

Peace!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NewForte: I have never installed an exhaust, let alone work under a car. It was very straight forward. As long as you have some amount of mechanical ability, you should be able to figure it out. The instructions help if you need then. I didn't really need them. But I am an engineer....

·
Registered
38 Posts
LOL Your Hired!

Peace!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
^^ LOL I would love to hear it cuz I am def interested in the solo exhaust kit but am worried its not the sound I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Added vid to first post. I'll upload some more videos and pics later. I need to edit them a little. ;)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,820 Posts
^^ LOL I would love to hear it cuz I am def interested in the solo exhaust kit but am worried its not the sound I'm looking for.
Don't forget that the Solo exhaust can be tailored to your tastes. AutiItKing and I got the quietest version. I just wanted a deeper sounding idle and noise on acceleration but fairly quiet at cruise. If you want to hear the exhaust all the time then get the smaller muffler and/or the short resonator.

...and no, I don't have any affiliation with Solo...I just like their exhaust on my Koup!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't forget that the Solo exhaust can be tailored to your tastes. AutiItKing and I got the quietest version. I just wanted a deeper sounding idle and noise on acceleration but fairly quiet at cruise. If you want to hear the exhaust all the time then get the smaller muffler and/or the short resonator.

...and no, I don't have any affiliation with Solo...I just like their exhaust on my Koup!
Yep, exactly. They offer four choices, and two more with the hi-flow cat.
I just wanted something with some noise, but not too much, and this system is perfect. It's still very quiet at idle, but has a very nice burble in neutral. But in drive at a stop it's still very audible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does this exhaust have bad drone at highway speeds, I'm a couple days away from getting it, but really don't want highway drone with the way I travel

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It's not too bad. It is noticeable at cruise, but the radio will mask it pretty easily. I don't know about the louder kits, but I can only imagine it'd be substantially louder.

Also, road noise usually covers it up easily depending on how fast you're going and how good the road is.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Does this exhaust have bad drone at highway speeds, I'm a couple days away from getting it, but really don't want highway drone with the way I travel

At a constant 65 MPH I don't notice any drone at all in mine (just haven't gone faster yet -- don't live near enough to an interstate). When you go uphill and the tranny kicks-down or engine revs up you'll hear it but you can still talk normal with your passenger. I know exactly what you mean too -- the last car I had, a Cobalt, the aftermarket exhaust I had was too loud.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use cruise control at all times, and it keeps the throttle open to where there is just enough load on the engine to keep its speed, and that causes some noise. It's not invasive at all, but barely noticeable. Like I said, the radio will mask it easily.
This is at 70MPH BTW, 2,500 RPM or so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Perfect, that's what I wanna hear, that exhaust setup is what I want so I guess that's what I'll be getting

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You'll definitely like this system. It's easy to install, and it sounds amazing. Turns heads, but in a good way!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Added a picture of the finished product.

I'm in Austin this week, so I visited my favorite parking garage at the mall. Steep slopes means a good load on the engine, which means a lot of noise!
Damn this thing is loud in there! I almost jizzed myself.

Since I put the cat-back on I've been getting nothing but complements. I am a very happy customer!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it's been two and a half months... and I still love it!
I've driven about 2000 miles with it, with several long trips. After each trip it sounds deeper and meaner. I guess it takes a while to really break it in.

I still love it, it turns heads, and I keep the polished tip shiny all the time. I'm a little anal about it :p

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
So it's been two and a half months... and I still love it!
I've driven about 2000 miles with it, with several long trips. After each trip it sounds deeper and meaner. I guess it takes a while to really break it in.

I still love it, it turns heads, and I keep the polished tip shiny all the time. I'm a little anal about it :p
The more sout that gets collected in the pipes the more mellow it gets, it takes away the higher pitches leaving you with more pure growl. I love the way mine sounds at >3500RPM it's a liquid dream. At <3500RPM it's got some snarl at part throttle which is where I like to keep it (damn these gas prices it's like $5 a gallon for you folk down south).

·
Registered
916 Posts
I love my kit also, even with the high flow converter the noise is subtle at cruise speeds, it really wakes up the more throttle you give it, I've had mine for a week now and love the sound all throughout the rpm range.

Note... My car is lowered so I had to jack up the body a little to slide the midpipe over the axle, just wasn't gonna go without the lift. Also if doing the cat small wheel ramps for the front are pretty much necessary to get under the car.

I think I installed my Rez upside down so I had to take it to a muffler shop to have it readjusted and the Rez flipped around, I also wanted the connections on each end of the midpipe welded cause the clamps weren't sealing 100% now it's solid as a rock.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts