Kia Forte Forum banner

Need advice

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  robecs2007 
#1 ·
So have a 2010 Kia Forte ex. Cold air intake, exhaust. wanting to install high flow cat. All I have found makes my check engine light come on. Also how to create more torque????

#2 ·
You have a 2010 kia forte? So many parts and mods available for you out there....go build it into a track car or something. Add a turbo. But doing anything to this car is going to cost you.

You're not going to have much luck getting any extra torque except for adding a turbo. But it's like $6000 and involves taking the engine out, depending on how you do it.

#3 ·
Damn that’s a lot of $. Lol. So basically I need to find another vehicle to play with and upgrade???? Just havnt seen my car modded out and wanted to do something no one else has. Want to make it the first 2010 Kia Forte ex. Wide body 😈. And boosted or supercharged. Thoughts?? I’ve baby her. Only has 120000 mi. And it’s 10yrs old

#7 ·
True that. So another question. My car tried to cut off on me today like it wasn’t getting any air? No power and was shaking real bad at stop light. So I pulled over and checked everything. Seemed fine. Took air intake off and cleaned throttle body and she works fine now. This is the second time this has occurred in past 4months. Never had this issue before. Any advice?

#8 ·
Seems like Kia's are touchy when it comes to this. My kia had issues similarly. Vibrating engine at stop light (in drive, foot on brake pedal).

Smart move to clean the throttle body. Other parts of the fuel system may also be dirty.

How many miles are on your car? Have you changed the fuel filter? Because that's probably your answer. The filter is like $20 or something on rockauto but the actual filter is underneath the back seat bottom (a few bolts to remove it) and then it's inside the fuel pump. If your ok with tools you can get it done with the service manual (kifomanual.com, make sure you pick the right generation).

Make sure to use a torque wrench to torque everything back where it should be according to the service manual.

I imagine the fuel filter is gunked up, and even with a clean throttle body, not enough fuel is getting to the engine. There's your issue. In addition, other parts of the fuel system may be dirty. How to prevent this?

Use a PEA ONLY fuel system cleaner, particularly techron. Techron fuel cleaner ONLY. DO NOT use any other brand like Royal purple maxclean or anything else. It can fuck up your forte! And foul spark plugs.

I would use techron maybe once or twice (one bottle per tank) every 6000 miles. Safe way to keep the fuel system clean from now on. It's like $6 at walmart.

Also using top tier gas (look up top tier gas list and you can find what stations have it, its cheap regular gas but with detergents in it that are good for your car). BP, Mobil, a bunch of stations have it. But if you are using sheetz or giant eagle or sam's club gas you are getting no detergents, just allowing things to gunk up.

Believe it. Over time, it makes a difference. Top tier ONLY. That's my philosophy with gas.

If you properly change the fuel filter (if to can get around to it) and also use techron (up to 3 times, one bottle per tank, every oil change interval), or top tier gas, your fuel system should be running a lot better. It gets gunked up in the fortes.

So top tier from now on, techron 2-3 times every 6000 miles, and change that fuel filter.

If not any of that (though let me tell you, I would be surprised if all of that isn't a big improvement for your car) I would make sure to check the spark plugs and their gap. If they are worn out, they can definitely cause the same problem. Ignition coils can do this as well. Your forte is an older one, so you are lucky enough to be able to check ignition coils with a multimeter. You can get a cheap one for like $9 and see on YouTube how to check the ignition coils.

That's the best I've got. If the throttle body was that gunky, the rest of the system is too....I can guarantee it!

I think the fuel filter is the most important aspect imo. But you will keep having problems if you also don't keep it clean. Top tier is easy. Find the top tier stations near you and only put that in your car!

#9 ·
Heard. I run non ethanol gas only, have new ngk iridium plugs, Throttle body wasn’t dirty at all actually? And I run Castrol synthetic blend. Never missed a oil change or let the gas light come on since I’ve owned it. 122000 miles on her and it’s a 2010. Had her for 6yrs now, got her with 60,000 miles on her from Carmax. Never had any issues til this yr. 🤦‍♂️. Will definitely do some work to fuel system. Appreciate your advice very much. If you have any other suggestions for me feel free. Everything is stock on her except typhoon intake and exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.