Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forte FE
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Forte FE which didn't come with a spare tire & jack, instead that "gunk pump" which is supposed to seal a flat. I've had 2 flats since I bought the car in 1/2019, and I'm not comfortable using the "gunk", so I had both properly repaired at a tire shop (2nd flat was today, they fixed to FOR FREE!). I want to buy a compact spare to stick in the trunk, and I'm surprised how expensive they are. Also, I'm not clear on the exact specs for the replacement. A neighbor gave me a 5 bolt compact spare, but the bolt circle is the wrong size (naturally... ;-) I'm also wondering if any other specs need to be considered, like maybe offset? If anyone has any input on this, and/or knows of a good CHEAP source, please pass that on. I plan to try a local junkyard this weekend for a good used one, but want to be sure it will fit.

TIA

·
Administrator
722 Posts
This has been discussed a few times. Take a look at these threads for example:

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
195 Posts
You may want to call some auto salvage organizations to see if they have any upper trim level 2019-22 Fortes and snag their equipment. Also, the current Forte shares its platform with the generation-before-now Hyundai Elantra. I bet these will fit, also.

Expect to pay the salvors 50-60 percent of what the dealership would charge.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
812 Posts
Yeah, take a look and see if you can find any wrecked current Fortes or previous gen Elantras that a salvage place is parting out and get the whole shebang from them.
if not, KiaPartsNow has the whole kit for a couple hundo. The dealer is probably a little more than that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the replies. There is a junkyard I might check out. Looking at kiapartsnow, I found Kia Spare Wheel Kit Seems like a decent price, weird that it has no tire though. Any guesses on the tire size/specs, and likely cost?
We had the same issue with the Hyundai N, no spare. Not sure about your car but on the N the big brakes were the issue. The vehicle comes stock with 19 inch wheels. The "standard" spares would not clear the brakes. Finally found a company on Amazon who makes them and it was like $250.00.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
773 Posts
Man, I hate the fact that new cars don't come with spares. I bought a full size wheel off Amazon for about $60 delivered to my door. Then I went and bought a new tire and had it mounted and balanced. I'm in for around $150 total. I took that piece of crap foam insert out and put the small "tool kit" inside the wheel along with my jumper cables and have an old jack from my Dodge Caliber and it's in the trunk. I've got a breaker bar and 21mm socket in the trunk too. If I ever have another flat, I'll be prepared. Last time was a frigging nightmare.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I followed that path almost exactly. Had a jack from a previous vehicle. I kept the foam and that silly inflater/fix-a-flat system. I threw an actual can of Fix-a-Flat in with the spare instead. If I sell the car, I will put the stock kit back in.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
773 Posts
Anyone want that foam liner for a 2017 Forte LX? Come get it and you can have it. It's just laying in my driveway taking up space right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts