Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time car owner (Forte 2019) and I need a little help to understand the repair work needed to be done on my car. Basically is it necessary and am I being overcharged.
When I went for my last oil change at the kia dealership, I was recommended that my front brakes and rotors need replacement and I was quoted $720.
I know the dealership is not deceiving me since I have bad braking habits but I am not sure if it is supposed to be this expensive?
This is what was mentioned on the reciept.
"Front Pads and Rotors - 4mm inner and 8mm outer - pads uneven and de-lamination of the rotor - $720"
The lady also told me that the brakes would not pass inspection next time.
I was also told to get rear CLA service done which would cost $142. I am not sure what that is but the lady said this would help me get an extra year of life out of my rear breaks.
So my question is:
1) Is it supposed to be this expensive?
2) Should I get a quote from a third party mechanic?
( I am afraid that an outside mechanic might not use genuine KIA parts or might do other cost cutting that the dealership won't - are my concerns valid)
3) Should I get the rear cla brake service as recommended by the dealership?
Thanks for helping me out.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
776 Posts
Get your car out of the dealership ASAP and take it to a REPUTABLE garage in you area. Brakes for these cars are cheap and very easy to replace. Last year I replaced all four of my rotors and front and rear pads for under $200. Got all my parts from rockauto.com. Dealerships are a bunch of crooks and always try to sell you shit you DO NOT need, just to increase profits. Even if the front pads and rotors alone cost you $200, the labor they want is ridiculous. Get out of there and NEVER, EVER take it back unless it's for a warranty issue. I ordered the Powerstop pads and rotors from rockauto. If you go to their website and look up your car, I'm sure you'll be able to see how badly they're trying to rip you off. And I have no idea what they're saying when they recommend the CLA service. I'm 65 years old and have been working on cars since I was a teenager and have NEVER heard of that. You don't have to use KIA pads or rotors on your car. That's a normal wear item and you won't have a warranty on them anyway.

·
Vendor
23 Posts
For just front pads and rotors...$720 is ridiculous.
You can get the parts yourself and take them to a reputable shop. That should save you some money on part markups. Non OEM parts are not always a bad thing, just go with a decent brand.
I have never heard of a "CLA" service. Do not agree to that.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
195 Posts
I do my service at my local dealership which is family owned with a solid reputation for keeping their customers happy. That said, probably ninety percent of dealerships will upsell you as a matter of course. Whereas my dealership service writers get a straight salary, the other dealerships writers earn a percentage of what they sell, and thus have an incentive to overcharge. I think it is obvious your dealership is part of the ninety percent.

Use Google and find the independent shops in your area. Then, read the online reviews of these shops and choose what looks like the best three. Take a personal look at each shop and check for professional facilities and cleanliness. Of any you like, talk to the service people and find out if they can do your work and how much they will charge. Tell them you want OEM ( original equipment manufacturer ) parts or equivalent.

Look for ASE certified technicians. This isn't a deal breaker, per se, as many good independent shops forego this, but ASE is a good indication of a first class operation. AAA Approved used to be a good indicator, too, but not sure if they have kept up their auditing of shops.

With this data select a winner. If you like the service and price, build a relationship and become a regular customer.

Any decent shop can do a brake change and other mechanical service. If you need a software update, electrical issue or warranty work, the dealership is probably the place to go. Not a brake job. Nothing special about a Kia here.

Dealerships are guilty until proven innocent.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I, too, checked for CLA service. Never heard of it and couldn't find any reference to such online. I suspect it is a local dealership "package" that bundles service you need with stuff you don't to bring up the price. They are quoting you virtually $1,000 for a brake job (and it sounds like you don't need rear rotors yet). Yikes.

I think you just got an education in up selling. We all have to take this course in life and it sounds like you are smart enough to see the scam. Good for you. Some of us, like me, learned the hard way.

Since you have the dealership's quote, call another Kia shop and get a quote from them. Still think a good independent shop is your best choice.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If you don't want to get ripped off at the stealership, do the repairs yourself.

You're getting ripped off. Go to another place, garage or diy.

You can also demand that your old removed parts be given back to you. Yes you can have your old parts back.

·
Registered
256 Posts
CLA is clean, lube , adjust. In defense of dealers, some are good,some bad. But in my area, if you can’t DIY, even independent / mom and pop shops are expensive too. All of a sudden, even non certified techs working at small shops want healthcare and other benefits ……..
My thing has been that a good dealer can and will cover any bad work. Small guys not so much.

·
Registered
195 Posts
CLA is clean, lube , adjust. In defense of dealers, some are good,some bad. But in my area, if you can’t DIY, even independent / mom and pop shops are expensive too. All of a sudden, even non certified techs working at small shops want healthcare and other benefits ……..
My thing has been that a good dealer can and will cover any bad work. Small guys not so much.
You raise an interesting point. In my area, Kansas City, there is a shortage of service techs. Typically, a young technician will start at a Jiffy Lube or independent shop to build up his/her skills, and then move on to a better job.

The family owned dealership I go to offers a good salary, benefits, and a stable and fair work environment. Consequently, this dealership has its pick of the best service writers and maintenance people. Many of the personnel there have there for years and produce a good product. I go there, even though it is slightly more expensive, because my job will be done correctly.

Unfortunately, my dealership is the exception. Most dealerships pay the minimum possible and after awhile their best guys get poached by a dealership who knows the value of providing a first-class customer experience

Never have I found a dealership that up sells customers that also treats their employees decently. Crooks are crooks in all areas.

Good shops are out there. Find one and be a good customer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am a first time car owner (Forte 2019) and I need a little help to understand the repair work needed to be done on my car. Basically is it necessary and am I being overcharged.
When I went for my last oil change at the kia dealership, I was recommended that my front brakes and rotors need replacement and I was quoted $720.
I know the dealership is not deceiving me since I have bad braking habits but I am not sure if it is supposed to be this expensive?
This is what was mentioned on the reciept.
"Front Pads and Rotors - 4mm inner and 8mm outer - pads uneven and de-lamination of the rotor - $720"
The lady also told me that the brakes would not pass inspection next time.
I was also told to get rear CLA service done which would cost $142. I am not sure what that is but the lady said this would help me get an extra year of life out of my rear breaks.
So my question is:
1) Is it supposed to be this expensive?
2) Should I get a quote from a third party mechanic?
( I am afraid that an outside mechanic might not use genuine KIA parts or might do other cost cutting that the dealership won't - are my concerns valid)
3) Should I get the rear cla brake service as recommended by the dealership?
Thanks for helping me out.
So…. Did we help ? :oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts