Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best battery for my car? I'm thinking along the lines of brands and models of battery. Optima seems to be recommended across the net but their site says its not compatible with our vehicle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What's the best battery for my car? I'm thinking along the lines of brands and models of battery. Optima seems to be recommended across the net but their site says its not compatible with our vehicle.
There aren't too many manufacturers of batteries. If you're looking for a cheap basic battery with a warranty, check out Tractor Supply if you have one close. They're called peavey mart here in Canada.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why do you need a battery already? Did it go bad already?
Mine went tits up about 3 months ago, got it replaced under warranty. Drove to the store, came out and the car went INSANE when I tried to start it. Everything electrical acting like it was having a seizure at a disco. It had to be towed to the dealer, so that was fun. My wife's did the same about a month later, a month after warranty expired :rolleyes: I think it was around $250, but I could be wrong. Remember when Obama shut down all the us lead places and batteries went through the roof? I do. Anyway, they're not super easy to find the AGM's right now. The dealer had to get one from the local parts place, none in stock, and the parts place only had 1 in the area.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I replaced my battery last month because I took all the reserve out of it. I was in Reno, NV and nighttime temps went down to below 30 degrees. It killed it, so I tried to get one of those small lithium jumper batteries. I had bought one but at the car wash it decided to get legs and when I went to use it that cold morning it wasn't in it's case. I went ahead and got the new battery which I really didn't because I something else in mind.

I got it from Firestone, Sears Diehard Platinum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine went tits up about 3 months ago, got it replaced under warranty. Drove to the store, came out and the car went INSANE when I tried to start it. Everything electrical acting like it was having a seizure at a disco. It had to be towed to the dealer, so that was fun. My wife's did the same about a month later, a month after warranty expired :rolleyes: I think it was around $250, but I could be wrong. Remember when Obama shut down all the us lead places and batteries went through the roof? I do. Anyway, they're not super easy to find the AGM's right now. The dealer had to get one from the local parts place, none in stock, and the parts place only had 1 in the area.
That's crazy in a 2020. I have a 19 S and I assume it's the original battery, granted I just purchased the car. Only 9k on the clock. I've had several Kia's though from a 10' Soul that we put on about 90k on original battery, never an issue. Then had a 15 Optima with 60k, no issues, 19 Optima only got up to 33k before we bought a 21 k5 gt-line.

Sorry you had such bad luck. 250$ for a battery is pretty steep. I'd just put a Optima starter battery in if it was me. No water to worry about. They last a ton longer! No reason to get an AGM type battery.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's crazy in a 2020. I have a 19 S and I assume it's the original battery, granted I just purchased the car. Only 9k on the clock. I've had several Kia's though from a 10' Soul that we put on about 90k on original battery, never an issue. Then had a 15 Optima with 60k, no issues, 19 Optima only got up to 33k before we bought a 21 k5 gt-line.

Sorry you had such bad luck. 250$ for a battery is pretty steep. I'd just put a Optima starter battery in if it was me. No water to worry about. They last a ton longer! No reason to get an AGM type battery.
They warrantied the 2020, besides being a pain in the ass it didn't cost me anything. One of the cells killed itself, jumping it did not work. The wife's car is a 2019 soul. She died at a gas station, we jumped it (off my brand new battery) and got it to the dealer about 20 minutes before closing. The car is under warranty still but the battery was a month over of course. We're in Florida now so the heat is supposed to be pretty hard on them. It was still surprising to have them both go almost back to back.

I moved here from WY where the temps hover around absolute 0 10 months out of the year and I never had a sudden battery failure. They always gave plenty of warning they were going south.

Of course now I AM ALREADY south, so maybe that's the issue...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts