Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my dilemma. I am planning to mod the Forte GT with a catless downpipe. What are my options to turn off the CEL?

I live in a state that doesn't require emission testing. I know I can get an ECU remap that they can also turn off the CEL. However, I live in an area that only has 87 octane gas, its almost a 40 mile drive to find 93. So I don't really want to get a remap since they only remap for 91/93. It seems like a really expensive option to have CEL turned off by a remap company.

Do "fake" O2 sensor work on the Forte's ECU? are there any negative effect? eventually I do want to go with a piggy-back like a JB4

·
Registered
112 Posts
A catless downpipe won't make any difference without a tune. You can try a defouler to see if that prevents a CEL.

Serious question, why do you want to violate Federal Emissions Laws for maybe 10-15 whp tops, when you can gain much more other ways?

Not to mention the smell.

Solutions to your 87 octane problem -

1) Mix 3.5 gallons of F&L Racing, Sunoco or VP 100% Methanol with your 87 octane. 30% should result in 92-93 octane but that doesn't explain the benefit of adding methanol to your pump gas. The BTU's in Methanol are higher than gasoline or E85, it burns cooler, releases oxygen and removes more heat from the combustion process.

This is assuming a full tank, it behaves much like 100 octane unleaded race fuel, you would be able to run Map 2 on JB4 maybe Map 3.

2) Get a JB4 + BMS Water Methanol Injection Kia/Hyundai kit. Pay $99 for the Map Sensor Adapter and $180 for the 2.5 gallon tank.

This will generate more power than any combination of bolt-ons, even with 87 octane as your base fuel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts