Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just upgraded speakers and added a 4 channel 60 watts per channel Power Amp. I used 3mm 10 amp cable connected directly to the battery via a fuseable link. Is this cable big enough to do the job or do I need a larger diameter cable.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
4 x 60 W = 240W 240 W supplied with 11V (non started car and battery a little low) is drawing around 22 A of power. If your cable is only rated for 10A, then it's not good enough. You should be buying a 500W amp hookup kit which will come with a 8gauge wire for your power wire, and another 8 gauge wire to ground the amp, an inline fuse rated for probably 50A, and some other bits and bobs for installation. If I were you, I would buy a 1000W kit for 2 Amplifiers and that way if you want to add a subwoofer, you are already set.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i agree with D113. 8awg better than 3mm. you should try to use 1/0 awg. lol. jk.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx guys I will replace mine this week. Where did you run your wire from battery, I ran mine thru a small gromet below the hinge on the front doors. A bigger gauge wire would be harder to hide .

·
Registered
39 Posts
What gauge of wire are you running d113? I just purchased Polk Audio db6501 6.5 component, Rockford Fosgate T1652 6-1/2 for the rear, rockford p400.4 to power them, a mtx re-q for the line out converter and I already had a soundstream pca200d amp with a kicker l7. I am going to run 0/1 gauge from the battery to a distribution block and then 4 gauge to my amps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thx guys I will replace mine this week. Where did you run your wire from battery, I ran mine thru a small gromet below the hinge on the front doors. A bigger gauge wire would be harder to hide .
I found a little hole that I assumed was for running a power wire through. It was above the gas pedal, but you have to undo 2 screws and pop the oval shaped metal off from the engine side(if your standing infront of the engine and look at the firewall, you can see it almost in the middle). I sealed it back up with silicone after I had the wire run under the carpet and under the door sill and under the back seats to the trunk. I also took the carpet all out and gutted the car (which was quite fun).

I cant find the pictures right now but I know I took some.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a little hole that I assumed was for running a power wire through. It was above the gas pedal, but you have to undo 2 screws and pop the oval shaped metal off from the engine side(if your standing infront of the engine and look at the firewall, you can see it almost in the middle). I sealed it back up with silicone after I had the wire run under the carpet and under the door sill and under the back seats to the trunk. I also took the carpet all out and gutted the car (which was quite fun).

I cant find the pictures right now but I know I took some.
Thx for that, I hope the right hand drive cars have this as it will make things easier to do

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ran my power wire by the brake pedal. there is a spot that is perfect to drill a hole to get it through. I have 0 gauge so that was the only way to go. I was surprised the wire actually fit all the way through to the trunk completely hidden.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Great it will be same in my car. Have you thought about using a rubber wiring gromet to run wire through and then fit over the hole with, there's all different sizes available. The photo is a bit blurry.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
whenever you can use the grommets as they prevent the power wire from being slowly cut over time by the metal of the chassis hole. you should also spray on some rust proofing is you are punching your own hole.
D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.