Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought some 18" Motegi MR116's and obviously needed some new tires. I did a bit of research and ended up choosing some 215/40R18 Toyo Proxes T1R's. I looked at prices on several online sites and local dealers and the prices for one tire ranged from about $145 to $175 not including shipping and handling.

So I found a few sets of four on eBay for $379 with free shipping and handling and thought, "Wow, those are probably knock-offs." Well I watched them for a bit and three sets sold in one day and there was only one set left. I did quite a bit of research on the company (East Coast Tires) and they had great feedback and their website looked pretty legit and professional. So with only one set left I took a chance and bought em.

I got the tires today with real fast shipping and they look brand new and they aren't fake. It took me a while to figure out why they were so cheap but I found out they were made in 2006 so they're about four years old. My question is, how much of a problem is that? Are they safe?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
"In a statement from the British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) issued on June 5, 2001 regarding the age of tires they state, "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tires should not be put into service if they are over 6 years old and that all tires should be replaced 10 years from the date of their manufacture." Tire age can be accelerated by a variety of environmental factors, such as sunlight exposure and coastal climates. Poor storage and infrequent use of your vehicle are other things that can accelerate tire age.

If you keep your tires in ideal conditions, the tire age can go as high as 10 years from its manufacture date. But ideal conditions are the exception rather than the rule."
from Tire Safety: How Old Is Too Old? by Bob Martin
so you should be okay for a year or two according to this info, definitely hold out for some more information from someone on here who personally knows more about it if you want though

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. They have a treadwear of 280 so under normal driving I might be able to get 20,000 miles out of them and I'll easily do that in one year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts