Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We bought a new KIA Forte 2014 EX last night. The only thing that makes me a bit nervous about it is a bit of a rattling or you could call it ticking sound from the engine. I'm not sure where it's coming from, and it's not overly loud but is noticeable if you stand in front of the car and very slightly from the inside at idle. I've not reved the engine to see what happens to the sound then. So, right now I can only say I hear it at idle.

We heard it before we bought the car, which gave me a chance to ask to listen to another 2014 Forte on the lot before signing. It had the exact same ticking/rattle, so I chalked it up to being how they sound for some reason.

Anyone know what that ticking sound is? Prior to this, the newst car I've had was a 1999 model Pontiac, so I expect much has changed since then. Still, ticking sounds from the engine seems odd. I just want to put myself at ease if I know it's normal and perhaps what causes it. The sales guy said it might go away after the car is broke in, but my guess is not. I'll probably bring it up at the 30 day inspection.

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Thanks. So, is the consensus that this is normal? That threat starts out diagnosing it like a problem, but by the end people were saying it's the way these engines work. I can say both Fortes I heard have the exact same sound, so this seemed plausible to me.

You haven't had any problems from it right? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Interesting. Thanks. So, is the consensus that this is normal? That threat starts out diagnosing it like a problem, but by the end people were saying it's the way these engines work. I can say both Fortes I heard have the exact same sound, so this seemed plausible to me.

You haven't had any problems from it right? Thanks for your help!
From want people say it's normal and I have not had any problems at all. But you can ways take it to the dealer and ask if you want.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll bring it up at the 30 days inspection and see what they tell me. A lot of the angst is probably just new car sounds. I'm convinced when you drive something for years and switch to something completely new, you're mind is going to focus on all the differences since it's not what you're used to. And, with a brand new car/expense, it probably causes unnecessary worry. But, we're only human!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine rattle/tick was loudest it's been just after starting the car this morning. It's also the coolest morning since we bought it. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. But, even my wife who thinks I worry too much about these things asked if it's always that loud. I "think" it got softer after a minute or two driving, but it's hard to know for sure since it was started in a garage where sounds can bounce around more.

Maybe GDI engines just rattle some. Couple that with the carbon buildup issue over time and I'm starting to wish we bought a car with a different engine type. When I pull in somewhere, I wonder if people are looking to see where the clunker is. Not sure that's worth 5% better fuel economy.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Engine rattle/tick was loudest it's been just after starting the car this morning. It's also the coolest morning since we bought it. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. But, even my wife who thinks I worry too much about these things asked if it's always that loud. I "think" it got softer after a minute or two driving, but it's hard to know for sure since it was started in a garage where sounds can bounce around more.

Maybe GDI engines just rattle some. Couple that with the carbon buildup issue over time and I'm starting to wish we bought a car with a different engine type. When I pull in somewhere, I wonder if people are looking to see where the clunker is. Not sure that's worth 5% better fuel economy.
The colder it is the longer it takes for the oil to reach the top of the motor. I mean it still does it fast enough but it takes a little longer.

I just deal with the noises due to everyone says they are normal :/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The colder it is the longer it takes for the oil to reach the top of the motor. I mean it still does it fast enough but it takes a little longer.

I just deal with the noises due to everyone says they are normal :/
I guess I will too since I done bought the car. ;)

I wish it was quieter though. I've listened to a number of various maker's cars with GDI engines on Youtube, and they all have some variation on the same rattle. The Toyota's seem the softest though. I can't tell much of a difference with the other makes from videos, though the loudest (just barely) seemed to be the KIA's.

This one sounds just like mine (after warmed up) - skip to around 4:30:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah that one is loud but that's a different motor then I have. Yeah I already bought it to so I am stuck with it like you.
Yeah. I doubt being stuck with their cars was KIA's aim. But, Ford is exclusively GDI now, as is Mazda I believe. I know the other makers have many GDI options too. Proof we're not alone:

Mazda (go to 4:25):

Ford (go to 7:47):

Chevy (go to 4:40):

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ouch and it sucks we pay so much for a car and it makes all these sounds. I have owned a newer honda si and loved it, and I have owned two 08 BMW and they made some weird noises. I have also had a new loaner BMW and it was worse then the older ones I had.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ouch and it sucks we pay so much for a car and it makes all these sounds. I have owned a newer honda si and loved it, and I have owned two 08 BMW and they made some weird noises. I have also had a new loaner BMW and it was worse then the older ones I had.
You see this sort of thing a lot in appliances too. They add more features and try to make things more efficient, which in turn tends to make things noisier. For instance, our fridge has a really efficient compressor, but sometimes has a rattle when it comes on that can be pretty loud at times and that we didn't notice on any of our other older fridges. We got used to it, as I figure I'll get used to this. Still, you're absolutely right about how much we pay for all these things while they try to iron things out.

The older I get, the more I understand people who think new doesn't mean better. Sometimes certain technology is fine, and we cause ourselves more problems trying to improve upon it to save a few pennies in energy costs.

I called my mechanic/service shop yesterday to see if they see a lot of carbon buildup on these GDI cars and he says they do get them in. They just had an Infinity in that was about 20k miles that had to be cleaned. He said different makes tend to wear differently. I forget the make, but he said another car was part of a corporate fleet that they were monitoring and after many many miles it hardly exhibited any buildup. The good news was the cost when I asked him how much it would be if I ever had to do that. On a 2013 Forte model, he said it would be around $120 to pull whatever they have to remove on the engine to get to the problem parts, plus cleaning chemicals.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You see this sort of thing a lot in appliances too. They add more features and try to make things more efficient, which in turn tends to make things noisier. For instance, our fridge has a really efficient compressor, but sometimes has a rattle when it comes on that can be pretty loud at times and that we didn't notice on any of our other older fridges. We got used to it, as I figure I'll get used to this. Still, you're absolutely right about how much we pay for all these things while they try to iron things out.

The older I get, the more I understand people who think new doesn't mean better. Sometimes certain technology is fine, and we cause ourselves more problems trying to improve upon it to save a few pennies in energy costs.

I called my mechanic/service shop yesterday to see if they see a lot of carbon buildup on these GDI cars and he says they do get them in. They just had an Infinity in that was about 20k miles that had to be cleaned. He said different makes tend to wear differently. I forget the make, but he said another car was part of a corporate fleet that they were monitoring and after many many miles it hardly exhibited any buildup. The good news was the cost when I asked him how much it would be if I ever had to do that. On a 2013 Forte model, he said it would be around $120 to pull whatever they have to remove on the engine to get to the problem parts, plus cleaning chemicals.
Wow that's a good price and when I had the 08 BMW with direct injection some had such horrible build up around 15-20k and it would cost them 800 to 1200 at the dealer so people started doing group buys with outside shops to get it don for around 400 to 500 witch is still a lot. I think some cars iris a problem and others it will never be a problem. I hope our cars it will never be a problem !

·
Registered
262 Posts
The ticking noise you hear is from the high pressure fuel injectors. Your fuel flows from the tank at ~70psi to a high pressure fuel pump mounted on top of the valve cover, and driven by a triangular lobe on the exhaust camshaft. This pump pressurizes the fuel in the fuel rail to ~2200 psi. Due to the high pressure in the fuel rail, the solenoids in the injectors have to be very precise, and snap open and closed instantaneously. This precision causes the ticking noise you are hearing. This is common to ALL GDI engines. If you want to hear a really nasty GDI sound, listen to a 2.4L Equinox or Terrain. Those are the worst sounding GDI I've heard....like rain on a tin roof.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Our first gens are know for this, but one thing i found that helpsbis to use lucas synthetic oil additive. It takes the tic down to a whisper untill your next change is due an then youll notice the sound louder again. It basically provides extra lubrocation, especially on cold start

Sent from my HTC One V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The ticking noise you hear is from the high pressure fuel injectors. Your fuel flows from the tank at ~70psi to a high pressure fuel pump mounted on top of the valve cover, and driven by a triangular lobe on the exhaust camshaft. This pump pressurizes the fuel in the fuel rail to ~2200 psi. Due to the high pressure in the fuel rail, the solenoids in the injectors have to be very precise, and snap open and closed instantaneously. This precision causes the ticking noise you are hearing. This is common to ALL GDI engines. If you want to hear a really nasty GDI sound, listen to a 2.4L Equinox or Terrain. Those are the worst sounding GDI I've heard....like rain on a tin roof.
This one may have something else wrong with it, but if not, wow. Is this one normal for the model?:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow. Yeah, this is like the air compressor I have in my garage that I'm embarrassed to turn on and disturb my neighbors.

This one may have something else wrong with it, but if not, wow:

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's what they all sound like.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts